HMVF Trip february 2010

Joris

Okay it's getting close to 2010 and we have not made plans for our HMVF 2010 trip.

I suggest this time we visit Arnhem AND make it a two day trip. I can most probably arrange a stay out our Scouting headquarters so cost for the night will be very low.

Who is interested?

My idea would be to visit the new Hartenstein museum, the cemetery, another local WWII museum and perhaps a battlefield tour?

For me most of February still is empty but I propose 20 / 21 or 27/28.

Alternatively we can visit the Veghel / Eindhoven area or even a revisit to the Overloon museum. Again I can most probaby arrange sleepover at a scouting HQ.

Done some digging - if we were to go by car the for each car going the following costs apply:

Route A £55.04 Dover - Calais

Route B £46.66 Dover- Dunkerque

Route C £65.86 Dover - Dunkerque (VIP boarding & Lounge)

Route D £41.90 Ramsgate - Ostend

If we fly then currently Easy Jet are charging £50 per head for a passenger with 1 bag up to 20 Kg plus the car parking charges -which for Stansted could be between £11 and £15. Worst case scenario is £65/head for this route.

Options B & D are cheaper than the Flight alone, A is cheaper than worst case flight and parking whilst D is only a few pennies dearer

What would people want to do?

My thought is that if we take the driving option we don't have the same time & weight constrictions as flying does plus Joris and the Dutch lads won't need to worry about transport over there.... It will need a bit more organizing this side though!

Up to you folks!!!!

You have to take into account the time required to travel and since it's only a two day trip it might be an issue. Flying is more expensive but it gives you (more) time to do activities.

Driving from Calais to Arnhem still is 4 hours by car.

You have to take into account the time required to travel and since it's only a two day trip it might be an issue. Flying is more expensive but it gives you (more) time to do activities.

You could go in the night and change drivers along the route.

Offcourse driving on the other side of the road might be a bit tricky in the dark?

Rats - I forgot to include the driving times - these would be:

Route A (Calais) 6.5 Hours + breaks each way

Routes B & C (Dunkirque) 3.5 Hours + breaks each way

Route D (Ostend) 2.5 Hours + breaks each way

These figures are taken from Autoroute, might try the ViaMichelin web site to see if there are any significant differences..

What I had in mind was getting a late - say 22:00 hours - crossing on Friday 19th putting us in Arnhem for the start of Saturday. Then possibly a fairly late - say 20:00 - return on Sunday giving us most of Sunday too.

What about overnight ferry Harwich/Hook of Holland?

I thought it too expensive really to consider Chris. Stena Line run the route and their price is £71/head just for the ferry - a cabin is compulsory on the late night sailing out too. With the fuel it works out at £88/head!!

Driving time is cut though - to about 1.5 to 2 hours plus breaks . Against that ship time is 6+ hours compared to the 1 to 1.5 hours on the channel routes.

Time-wise then, it is swings and roundabouts, cost wise it's a lot higher. But again the consensus vote is what is important!! :)

FWIW as I'm working in Canterbury in Feb, the driving time works against me for anything other than a channel crossing :)

that said I live near Heathrow so if you fly its cheaper for me to go from there than get to Stanstead.

must we travel as a group or can you go independently?

FWIW as I'm working in Canterbury in Feb, the driving time works against me for anything other than a channel crossing :)

that said I live near Heathrow so if you fly its cheaper for me to go from there than get to Stanstead.

must we travel as a group or can you go independently?

If we go the car route John then you'd need to make your own booking to get the best deal these days (unless we can fill over 10 cars and get a group discount).

If we fly it's easier for Joris and the guys at the other end to meet us if we go in one group. You may have a problem getting a flight from Heathrow to Amsterdam that ties in more or less with the timings of flights from Stansted and the same price. I did check out Heathrow departures last year.

Which ever way go we'll need to decide pretty soon as both means of crossing the channel will fill up.... :shake:

I would not worry too much about ferry crossings filling up, seafrance always is unbelievably cheap and always has plenty of space, especially in February.

Just checked, you can cross in a minivan WITH 9 people for only 76 pounds

By car would be my preference using the Ramsgate - Ostend route. Gives a long enough break on th ship between driving and the shortest of the drives once in mainland Europe.

Hiring a minibus would add to the cost I think and compound the probs this side of the ditch as we'll be coming from all different areas.