transporting a vehicle back to uk

David Ives

Question

18 answers to this question

I will 2nd that:) the only way is trade plate or on a loader. because if your vehicle will need tax, insurance and MOT. if no tax or MOT insurance no valid you risk getting the car seized.

My friend just took a disco back no tax but insurance and mot. got the car taken away.

Christian

Dave, if it is a UK registered vehicle and you arrange insurance beforehand, you can travel from the dock to an MOT station and then back home without tax, we did this when returning from a six month trip.

In the unlikely event that it fails, you can then drive it to a pre arranged place where repairs are to be carried out, or have it broken up..:shake: Can get all a bit frantic though.

If you sensibly use a low loader, without the Bedford being legal you must have off road parking pre-arranged.

You could of course just drive it home with your stinger ready to chuck out the back to deter following plod from getting too close....:cool2:

Best of luck anyway.

and that is a very good law...it is a deterrent to stop people running out of MOT, better than what this government is proposing...

but hauling it has to be by far the best way, what if you break down, it is a new truck to you and recovery will cost a darn site more than a pre booked transporter, if its less than about 3m high it can go on a 6 wheeler or even a 4 wheeler if its within the weight and height limits ...and that will be cheaper than a low loader by a long way...

I think the truck is about 11ft tall with this box and the height above the road when on the trailer was about 13' 6". There were no bridges on my route back so the height didn't matter.

Ours is labelled 13'6" inside the cab - that's with a box body and generator pallet though (both of which protrude well above the cab) so that sounds pretty accurate. A mast mounted on the rear of the box body adds another 8" or so...it all adds up!

This diagram might be of use...

Stone

bedford-dims.jpg