Austin K2...(NFS) The Restoration Begins

Marmite!!

Manual says: KLG "Corundite" type FE30X (long reach); Lodge CB14; or Champion N8. Gap 0.018-in to 0.020-in

Picked up 6 AC DELCO 46XL (N8 equiv) on ebay for £12 inc P&P :-D

Anyone have the part Numbers for points, condenser, distributor cap/rotor arm?

Edited by Marmite!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Works getting in the way at the mo... got new plugs, points & condenser ready to go in & got a good price for the steel to replace the sides & the roof.. £160.00

BTW the K2 cost me £200 with a trailer thrown in :-D

Edited by Marmite!!

Almost all correct, "auxillary towing vehicle" they were not all Austins. designed to tow large trailer pumps of all types (coventry, dennis, harland,scammel and others). As such with a full crew and equipment they would become a complete fire fighting unit. It woould have been "NFS" national fire service originally. It should of course be grey and strangely if it went onto be with a local authority brigade appears never to have been painted red. good luck with the restoation.

• 2 months later...
Like Ted i have some in use shots in folders but meantime heres one in actionf from the L.F.B archives

Lee what ever you do if you are going to wear period costume at Beltring please refrain from the black mankini and helmet in the picture other Jack may get ideas :cool2:

Ashley

well is it finished now lee :)

Well I did go look at it yesterday, waiting to move it to get it under cover before starting on it, another forum member is going to move it for me...

Got all the steel sheet already ordered to replace the roof & sides...

Can anybody help me with a scaledrawing of this K2 since I would like to make a scalemodel of this vehicle. After WWII this "Bellewagen" was used for many roles in Holland. Thanks.

Johannes

Johannes, have a look at this link: http://www.missionmodels.com/product.php?productid=139888&cat=250&page=6

'Accurate Armour' produce a 1/35 ATV kit, it's superb.

Nick.

• 4 months later...

Lee, I realise it's not much help but pre war Ash was commonly used for framing. I suppose wartime economy changed a lot of types of wood used but I do remember seeing somewhere on the web information

on what truck manufacturers used. Post war trucks were still manufactured with wood framed cabs. Atkinson

were still doing it this way in the 60's, maybe even early 70's. Perhaps this may just give you a starting point.

Best of luck with your resto.

Lee, I realise it's not much help but pre war Ash was commonly used for framing. I suppose wartime economy changed a lot of types of wood used but I do remember seeing somewhere on the web information

on what truck manufacturers used. Post war trucks were still manufactured with wood framed cabs. Atkinson

were still doing it this way in the 60's, maybe even early 70's. Perhaps this may just give you a starting point.

Best of luck with your resto.

Cheers Degsy, think I need to do a bit more research..

Edited by Marmite!!

Moved the K2 to it's new home today with the help of Stuart & crew & the use of Ian's A-frame, I can start the restoration proper now:-D

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

This was a bit loose:shocked:

5.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

& started to get the workshop kitted out.

17.jpg

16.jpg

What a set up Lee, never worked in anything like that in 60 years. It will be good to see your K2 when you've returned it to it's former glory. They were ten a penny when I was young, bring back so many memories when I see one now.

What a set up Lee, never worked in anything like that in 60 years. It will be good to see your K2 when you've returned it to it's former glory. They were ten a penny when I was young, bring back so many memories when I see one now.

Yep finally getting everything under one roof rather than in 6 different locations, once I get all my workshop kit in there won't be much we won't be able to handle... not looking forward to moving my Milling machine again, 200kg & an awkward thing to handle, also need to get the 25pdr up there now so that I can carry on with that restoration, gave up trying to work outside at the Fort..