Austin K2...(NFS) The Restoration Begins

Marmite!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Austin Towing Vehicle ex NFS. Later type with Shrapnel roof panels. Slit in roof was for the hand operated bell strap.

Labels are the inventory card, show what was carried in each locker. These cards are Post war and as the labels state for Southend on Sea Fire Brigade. This looks like it was used by them as a salvage tender, from what i can see listed on the cards.

As it does not appear to have the cutouts on each side that would indicate a convertion to a hose real tender with 2 tanks fitted under the crew seats and a hose real and pump, or the 3 way valve and hose copling on the side. This was a common practice where these vehicles when past over from the NFS to local brigades.

Edited by Dave C

Looks quite solid

The roof & the sides will need reskinning.. some timber will need replacing, the chassis is solid...

It was driven to where it lays about 4years ago... going to have a go at getting it running on Wednesday..

Do you have the reg No to hand ? as it may be possable to get more info re your vehical from a few mates i know who have some records etc of what was passed over from the NFS to local autority brigades.

Yes Dave... that was going to be my next question, any help would be great :iloveyou:

DSC_2563.jpg

Nice find! They were built during the war and used by the National Fire Service & Auxiliary Fire Service and are known as Auxiliary Towing Vehicles (ATV). Post war they went to many local fire services and were chopped around a bit. Yours looks very original. Many survive and are a classic in their own way.

As their implies they towed things - normally a trailer pump. Coventry is but one manufacturer. Dennis is another.

Getting all the right equipment together will be fun!

Digging for a photo at the moment but I have in my notes : GXH 433 1949 issued from H.O. store to Southend on Sea for AFS service ran as a GP fairly sure I have a photo hundreds of these were taken from store in 1949/50 when the AFS was reconstituted I am sure this one was actually repainted into gloss deep bronze green and lettered accordingly.

If I find the piccy I will post it

TED

Digging for a photo at the moment but I have in my notes : GXH 433 1949 issued from H.O. store to Southend on Sea for AFS service ran as a GP fairly sure I have a photo hundreds of these were taken from store in 1949/50 when the AFS was reconstituted I am sure this one was actually repainted into gloss deep bronze green and lettered accordingly.

If I find the piccy I will post it

TED

Great stuff Ted... it is marked up as a GPV..

I'm confused.. thought the AFS changed to the NFS in 1941:confused:

DSC_2547.jpg

1938 All brigades required to raise AFS sections.

1940 orders placed for a standard towing vehicle to replace all the old cars taxis vans etc that had been pressed into service in 1939; This was the birth of the Austin K2 ATV.

1941 all brigades and AFS sections nationalised to form NFS

1948 NFS disbanded UK fire services organised on a county; County borough; city basis. ( Vehicles that had been provided by Home Office from 1938 onwards and that were surplus to post WW2 needs were returned to HO stores comencing early 1945. this was finalised in 1947 as brigades moved to a solely peacetime role )

1948 tension with Soviets : civil defence act of 1948 reconstituted the Civil defence Corps and the AFS All brigades required to raise an AFS section; to facilitate training of AFS recruits ex NFS ATVs, traler pumps and Heavy pump units were loaned to brigades from HO stores

This is when GXH 433 went to Southend. Afraid I don't know its WW2 location.

Hope this gives you a clearer timeline/ now searching boxes of about 5,000 piccies to try and locate one I know I have !!! filing system what filing system

TED