Austin K2...(NFS) The Restoration Begins

Marmite!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep finally getting everything under one roof rather than in 6 different locations, once I get all my workshop kit in there won't be much we won't be able to handle... not looking forward to moving my Milling machine again, 200kg & an awkward thing to handle, also need to get the 25pdr up there now so that I can carry on with that restoration, gave up trying to work outside at the Fort..

Can you let me know the address Lee........I could live comfortably in there.:cool2::-D

Do you have someone to supply timber Lee ?

We've used Derek King at All Oak & Hardwood just outside Galleywood for some time now - he's done us a lot of stuff for work and he also did me the big bits of ash for my wagon chassis at a not unreasonable price ( relatively speaking ! ) .

Can find you his address & number if it's of any interest .

D

Started getting all the panels off today, something a bit odd, panels 2 & 3 on the O/S are in one piece, panels 7 & 8 on N/S are two separate panels, a repair at some time?? which is correct?

DSC_4899.jpg

DSC_4900.jpg

DSC_4951.jpg

DSC_4981.jpg

DSC_4989.jpg

Do you have someone to supply timber Lee ?

We've used Derek King at All Oak & Hardwood just outside Galleywood for some time now - he's done us a lot of stuff for work and he also did me the big bits of ash for my wagon chassis at a not unreasonable price ( relatively speaking ! ) .

Can find you his address & number if it's of any interest .

D

Cheers Dave I'll keep that in mind, I have a couple of option with firms I've used in the past, Hordon Hardwoods, just around the corner to me & Brooks Bros, Maldon. Also the unit next door to the storage makes high spec bespoke furniture & has a good supply of quality timber :cool2::whistle:

Edited by Marmite!!

Next to come off was the roof, took tons of reference photos today so that I have a record of how it's constructed & so I can put it all back together they way it was built.

DSC_4932.jpg

DSC_4977.jpg

DSC_4991.jpg

Another nest, there was one in the same place the other side, that makes 5 nests so far

DSC_5001.jpg

& one Mouse

DSC_2601.jpg

Outer skin off, you can see how the roof was constructed

DSC_5002.jpg

DSC_5005.jpg

Other side outer skin coming off

DSC_5017.jpg

DSC_5019.jpg

DSC_5020.jpg

DSC_5027.jpg

DSC_5028.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

Inner roof skin coming off..

DSC_5030.jpg

DSC_5034.jpg

Saving taking the roof on the cab for another day..

DSC_5036.jpg

DSC_5037.jpg

DSC_5038.jpg

Saved a couple of the leather washer that sealed the screws on the outer roof skin so that I can punch some new ones the correct size

DSC_5040.jpg

Lee been trying to answer that one for several years !! I looked through 3,000 photos last night still not found the shot of it at Southend BUT I do have one somewhere I note mention of the Brockhouse trailer and featherweight pump in a later message wrong era for your machine. In WW2 servicve it could have towed one of a dozen types of pump; In post 1948 AFS service it would have pulled an ex NFS trailer pump issued from Store a Large Dennis, Coventry Climax FF500 or a Coventry climax FSM. The Dennis or FF500 most likely as the FSM was a lower capacity pump; The Brockhouse trailer equipped as mention in MARKHELIOPS message is 1977 item. Hundreds purchased as field telephone line layers for the reconstituted AFS & CD, delivered in the early/mid 1950s.

During the national strike in 1977 the HO equipped 110 of these trailers in store with an FWP and kit as rural pumping units to supplement the Goddesses to be used in rural areas had the part time (retained) firemen gone on strike also-- luckily they didn't !! These remained in store until 1997 when all but a handful were auctioned at Measham. the last handfull passed through Withams in 2005/6.

A great little unit but not authentic for either WW2 or post 1948 AFS for your ATV.

TED

My other halfs dad worked at Dennis all his working life and I presume it would have been when these pumps were being used. I can always ask her to ask him if he knows anything about these pumps?

Lee,

There is an adaptor which accepts a spin on oil filter. We have just got one for the MW, I will find some details.

Chris

Cheers Chris, I was wondering if one was available, the original filter looks like it would be an expensive bit of kit if still available..

Radiator is in A1 condition, hooking it up to my power-flushing machine tomorrow to give it a good clean out...

DSC_5062.jpg

Back to the oil filter, Chris gave me a lead on an adapter from The LR Club but a bit pricey at 60quid & you have to be a member to buy..

This is the existing oil filter which is very pricey to replace, surprised that being a WW2 vehicle you are not able to clean it?

DSC_5068.jpg

I've come across this adapter which takes a range of Fram spin on filters & only 15quid, anyone know if this would be suitable??

FilterAdapter.jpg

Lee,

Spin on oil filter adaptors have been around for eons and they work very well.

The only problem that is recurrent is that from time to time people install them wrongly and the one way check valve fitted comes into play and no oil is filtered.

This happens on a frequent basis in the Land Rover world over here to some poor soul.

Just read the blurb!

R

Its only a Bypass Filter so its not as if it does a lot.

Changing the oil on a more frequet basis is just as important.

There was a company still making these but I have no details. Speak to the Bedford Spares Supplier as it the same filter accross many vehicles of the period.