Vote: What is the most important US-made aircraft in RAF history?

Park82

After the tremendous success of our last RAF Benevolent Fund poll, in which the Tornado won the vote for the greatest post-WW2 fighter jet, we have decided to run another poll.

This time the vote is to decide:

What is the most important US-made aircraft in RAF history?

To vote, visit our special new 90th anniversary microsite, by clicking on the link below:

www.rafbf90.org.uk

About "90 Faces of the RAF Benevolent Fund":

To celebrate our 90 years of work since being established by Lord Trenchard in 1919, our new microsite features 90 stories about our beneficiaries, history, fundraisers and supporters.

If you visit you can listen to Winston Churchill's famous 1951 radio broadcast on behalf of the RAFBF, watch videos of beneficiaries and serving personnel describe how we help, learn about the enormous support we enjoy among the RAF family and the various ways we are celebrating our 90th anniversary this year.

After strong demand we have now added the Douglas Dakota to our vote for the most important US-made aircraft in RAF history.

At the moment the Hercules and Phantom are battling it out for top spot, with the Liberator and Chinook a good way behind. Five other choices are scrapping it out for the remaining votes.

Please add your vote now and let us know what you think! Just visit:

www.rafbf90.org.uk

and make your choice!

This is tough....The Phantom guarded our airspace for nearly 20 years... The Herc has being the mainstay of RAF transport command for nearly 40 years,and many left... Catalina invaluble for coastal command during WW2, The Liberator lived up to it's name....And the Gooney Bird????Where could you start. I think I will sleep on this one!!!

This is tough....The Phantom guarded our airspace for nearly 20 years... The Herc has being the mainstay of RAF transport command for nearly 40 years,and many left... Catalina invaluble for coastal command during WW2, The Liberator lived up to it's name....And the Gooney Bird????Where could you start. I think I will sleep on this one!!!

Sleep on which one? Wouldn't a bed be more comfortble? :-D

Was the term 'Gooney Bird' ever used in the RAF?

The Dak is still the 'Transit' of the air. The first time I flew on one I was about 5 years old, flying unacompanied, in those days they would stick you on the jump seat of the cockpit to keep you out of the way. Didn't really relaise how lucky I was.

One of those airlines that no longer exists Cambrian.

Edited by Tony B

Sleep on which one? Wouldn't a bed be more comfortble? :-D

Was the term 'Gooney Bird' ever used in the RAF?

The Dak is still the 'Transit' of the air. The first time I flew on one I was about 5 years old, flying unacompanied, in those days they would stick you on the jump seat of the cockpit to keep you out of the way. Didn't really relaise how lucky I was.

One of those airlines that no longer exists Cambrian.

In all honesty C47 or Skytrain would be equally accurate... I suppose the term 'Gooney Bird' is from the 'Puff the magic dragon era'...AKA Nam which I have had a lot of interest recently.But seriously,Tony this is a toughie of which I still cannot conclude. They were all great aircraft!!!

Puff the Magic Dragon , lived by the sea, and froliced in the Autum mist in a land called Honelllly! ,,, My karioke effort. Funnily enough looking at a late 1950's Pathe News film about Honeymoons in Jersey showed a Pionair in Channel Airways Livery. I must say have a very soft spot for the Dackota's Intra had one in the C47 mode, wider freight door. What's happned to Dackman? He'd know chapter and verse.

Many thanks for your votes to find the most important US-made aircraft in RAF history.

We will be closing down the poll at the end of next week so please, if you haven't voted yet, make your choice now - there is still time to change the outcome! Just click on the link below to vote.

www.rafbf90.org.uk

At the moment the Phantom is leading the Hercules by about 30 votes, with all other options trailing far behind. We are a little surprised that there have not been more votes for the Liberator or Catalina, but the Phantom does seem to enjoy some serious support!