Casspir APC

LoggyDriver

hey may look like a Dog, would you want to be bitten by one? A few in Afganistan wouldn't come amiss. The SA Army developed the techniques of mine proff vehicles.. I'd love one.

I don't know why there aren't any in Afghanistan considering BAE Land Systems OMC own 75% of the company that is responsible for this serious bit of kit. Field repairable after a mine strike in a few hours is just what is needed. (By the way I meant it looked the dogs boll*cks, as in GORGEOUS!!)

I'm going to see District 9 again for another fix.:-D

I don't know why there aren't any in Afghanistan considering BAE Land Systems OMC own 75% of the company that is responsible for this serious bit of kit. Field repairable after a mine strike in a few hours is just what is needed. (By the way I meant it looked the dogs boll*cks, as in GORGEOUS!!)

I'm going to see District 9 again for another fix.:-D

Seriously, when you mentioned it, it did have a dog type look from the front.:-D

They look like they have a pretty high centre of gravity - any cases of them falling over if provoked ?

Was thinking that too, but the axles look pretty wide compared to the hull, presumably to aid stability. Great looking vehicle though.

They look like they have a pretty high centre of gravity - any cases of them falling over if provoked ?

I guess most of the armour is down low since that's where the biggest threat is.

Not that it would probably do much good with the size of IEDs these days. Did you see the pictures on the news yesterday in which 6 Italians (and sadly 10 Afghan civilians) lost their lives? They were in Iveco LMVs:

iveco_lmv.jpg

The force of the blast (suicide car bomber drove into their convoy) blew one vehicle on its side and demolished the other - there was a shot of what looked like the engine in the middle of the road. I've had the chance to have a poke at the British version (the Panther) and they are rock solid vehicles - inches of armour all over the place - but there's no way anything can stand up to that size of direct attack and remain useful levels of mobility.

Most of the Afghani IEDs are made of surplus Russian 155mm arty shells - looking at the wiki page for the USA equivalent it tells you how much TNT is in each shell. The Casspir is designed to protect against 14kg of TNT hitting a wheel - the sum

(14kg / (0.158 * 43.2kg)) = 2.05

means you only need two of these shells next to each other to potentially defeat one! The Taliban aren't stupid, they know this. They have plenty of shells, all they have to do is tie more of them together until they get the result they want :(

As for the original question, you could try here. I hope you've got your chequebook out!

Stone

• 3 years later...

The hippo was built on the Bedford RL chassis.

The Casspir was built using all the running gear from the Mercedes 1517 “Groente” truck and has a monocoque hull.

They are available if you have R1,600,000.00 to spare.

I’m looking at building a full size replica but cant find any plans or drawings......anyone?