Latrine screens

chevpol

Question

16 answers to this question

Its a good question. Where does the word latrine come from? French/Norman/Latin??

Latin, latrina a contraction of lavatrina from lavo to wash. According to my 1850 dictionary. But I think they have go it wrong, surely it is a first declension verb, so lavo is I wash?

Bit of a contradiction really as the majority of people do not seem to wash after their activities.:shake:

Remember going on Exercise to Normandy in June 1960 - 20 Land Rovers and Trailers and one RL (carrying fuel in Jerry Cans) crossed the Channel in RASC Landing Craft. We camped up in the grounds of a French Chateau near Granville. Dug holes for Thunder Boxes in a very pretty wood - but ground too hard and full of tree roots so just impossible to erect screens. Wonderful sitting there at Dawn, communing with nature in such pretty surroundings and passing the odd greeting to anybody passing by.........

Just returned, last week, from Sennelager and Fallingbostel trg areas on annual exercise and it is all portaloos with stinking inners, first person to use it and break the crust has to hold breath and swat 1000s of bluebottles that are trying to escape through the hole you are sitting upon. Bring back shovel recces any day

The 'Turdis' was making its presence felt on schemes at about the time I was leaving, so my experience of them is thankfully limited.

I did manage to have a row of 20 of them blown over at an airshow once, by marshalling a visiting SH-3 over them.

You can't beat having your early morning constitutional on a proper bog seat whilst overlooking miles and miles of open prairie, though.

Edited by Yorkie370

Bit of a contradiction really as the majority of people do not seem to wash after their activities.:shake:

I found it better to avoid peeing (or worse) over my hands...:rofl:

Washing is not so much effective...why?

Because before you manually open the fosset with your dirty hands, wash your hands clean and then touch the dirty fosset again...

Washing is not so much effective...why?

Because before you manually open the fosset with your dirty hands, wash your hands clean and then touch the dirty fosset again...

Not in a Portaloo, the water is pumped into the basin in insipid squirts by a foot pedal on the floor. If the people who hired them bothered to fill the water tank, that is...:n00b:

Stone

Just returned, last week, from Sennelager and Fallingbostel trg areas on annual exercise and it is all portaloos with stinking inners, first person to use it and break the crust has to hold breath and swat 1000s of bluebottles that are trying to escape through the hole you are sitting upon. Bring back shovel recces any day

Health & Hygine wasnt insisted on then with all the 'Progress'?? installed with todays 'Modern Fighting Forces'!

My god, Blue Tardis'-es. How Bloody tactical! At least with a shovel Recce, the 'contents' broke down & turned into Nutrients for the soil/ ground. I bet Troops will be issued with surgical rubber gloves to have a Pee with next! A microwave to gamma iradiate the toilet paper with first. The powers that be, dont know what to waste money on next! Etc, Etc...... Rant, Rave... disbelife....Etc...:???