Kemble MVT 2009

nice piccys, seems a bit light on vehicles this year. What were the stalls like?

Mark

Yes less vehicles. Not helped by poor weather which is compounded by the windiness of an airfield & clashing with many other shows & the imminence, for me, of GDSF.

The stalls for me were fine, but one's opinion is always influenced by what bargains you find. I made a number of interesting purchases of books & photos, yet I bought more than at W&P! But there were a lot less stalls selling things than at previous Kembles.

Now I don't mean this at all unkindly, but there was a big increase in stalls for various service charities. One gives what one can, but you can't give to every charity stall every time you walk past them. If you ignore them it looks rude, if you decline you look a mean b@stard & if you say you have given already you look like lying mean b@stard!

Been there all weekend, a good time spent with friends but in general the show was slightly disappointing. Heard a rumour of a different venue next time, another airfield apparently, don't know where though. Personally don't think airfields are the best bet, unless you have a WW2 windsock display.

Loved the pair of Mk 1 Militants :) Not seen one with the pull-out boy before - was it a comms unit or a workshop?

Also nice to see a pair of Panthers as I remember them - every one usually paints them pink but they were used in Europe and were painted green/black as per the one on the back of the Foden. Even better - IIRC 10 FG 34 was used by 21 on one of the Crusader Ex's. Again - IIRC - in 78.....

two of the biggest probs at kemble were that out of the 300 vehicles booked in literally halve never turned up! and then on sunday quite a few of the ones that did come got their coats damp and packed up leaving the paying public watching vehicles drive out. Also the amount of people prepared to go around the arena was very poor, over the last few years many military shows are turning into military camping shows(like a green version of the caravan club). I can remember a time when owners que"d for ages to get into a arena and were proud to show off their vehicle, you go to steam rally and every tractor enters the arena and you go to a military show and a handfull go round!, luckilly the SAS/DESERT landrovers put on a excellent display as usual and great evening entertainment sat and sunday

Despite being there from Friday to this morning, still managed to get hardly any pictures!

It was nice to see that Hunter flying around, it looked so graceful on the low flypasts. Your Jag had an RAF connection, as did Julf's Bristol Brigand:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Cars#Image_and_company_philosophy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Brigand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Type_603

luckilly the SAS/DESERT landrovers put on a excellent display as usual and great evening entertainment sat and sunday

Agree with that, someone should have set Barry Pococks Drops kit to music, they seemed to be enjoying themselves. I feel guilty now for not making an effort myself but the cooking trailer was incomplete anyway and attached to the 12x12 :)

Hi,

This might not be the forum for this but......Kemble is far closer to where I live (Kidderminster - when I am home that is), and on the sight of it, lots to offer. I attended the show 2004, 2005 and 2006 and for me, the biggest issue was the climb in an already under-powered truck from the motorway to the higher ground, in addition to the windy and (unfortunately) rainy weather. Watching the rabbits hop past me on that hill was also soul destroying !

Seriously though, am sure the slightly higher ground has at least some influence on conditions and a site smewhat closer to the lower-ground M5 would be more appealing to many anyway. The rumour of another airfield sounds a logical idea, but lets hope that other locations are fully considered also.

For those of us who cannot afford the costs of taking their big toys to Kent each year, we really do need an alternative at this end of the country, so lets hope it continues

Cheers

Steve

This might not be the forum for this but......Kemble is far closer to where I live (Kidderminster - when I am home that is), and on the sight of it, lots to offer. I attended the show 2004, 2005 and 2006 and for me, the biggest issue was the climb in an already under-powered truck from the motorway to the higher ground, in addition to the windy and (unfortunately) rainy weather. Watching the rabbits hop past me on that hill was also soul destroying !

Ahhh you mean Birdlip Hill just after you come off the M5, Steve. We go up it every year in the Gipsy with a caravan behind on the way to Dorset. Lovely on a nice sunny clear day, but boy when it's not very nice weather it ain't the best place to be!!! :-D It is one hell of a hill though!!!

yeah the Hunter was real good, i was lucky enough to go for 40 mins ride in that black hunter last october, pretty awesome as got to fly it and flew my own loop the loop along with some level stuff thro breacon mountains..As for kemble would imagine be the last one altho think the show will have just about paid for itself. Should of known things wouldnt go well as Rolling thunder started the arena each day with their customary 30 mins late start which they have perfected brilliantly at every show they do! which guarrantees the watching public wander off bored..

thanks martin

yeah the Hunter was real good, i was lucky enough to go for 40 mins ride in that black hunter last october, pretty awesome as got to fly it and flew my own loop the loop along with some level stuff thro breacon mountains..As for kemble would imagine be the last one altho think the show will have just about paid for itself. Should of known things wouldnt go well as Rolling thunder started the arena each day with their customary 30 mins late start which they have perfected brilliantly at every show they do! which guarrantees the watching public wander off bored..

thanks martin

Yes even a saddo like me wandered off in the end ! Would have liked to take the Pig but it was too far for me I'm afraid ! :-D

then on sunday quite a few of the ones that did come got their coats damp and packed up leaving the paying public watching vehicles drive out.

Not entirely fair Martin. By driving home early I got considerably wetter in the Shorland than if I sat tight on the showground. I could have at least put a tarpaulin over some of the leakier parts of the vehicle. Because I have no rear window nor windows in the doors, I have to drive with them open. So everything inside gets a soaking.

I have attended all the MVT "Kembles" but this year, with the changed date, I was in two minds whether to go or not. My main priority was to get everything ready for GDSF & get there early to establish a place in the very crowded display area. As it was I had to spend a day drying out & a day loading up again. I don't know what days Kemble would be next year, but if its the same weekend I'll give it a miss & just go down to GDSF in a leisurely drive & get set up in good time as I have done in the past. Rather than make the effort to turn up to Kemble for a day & 2 nights.

The rain was a real downer & of course nobody's fault. But if it is that same bank holiday weekend, it is too far a hop in the wrong direction to get ready for GDSF. So I'll give it a miss.

Besides there seems to be a lot going on in SE England to clash with it. Now if they moved the Beaulieu event to that weekend it would be ideal for a lot of us down here. Instead of the end of May show which splits the attendance with Overlord, moving it to the August bank holiday could double their attendance?

I expect the MVT would feel they would also like a Midlands show presence, well I think the Evesham June show has great potential to be developed.

• 3 weeks later...

This years show will be the last at Kemble, the ground rent of almost £5000.00 being the deciding factor. New sites are being looked into, watch this space for deails.

Re Barry Pococks SAS display, it would be very difficult to set to music, as it was totally un rehearsed, I should know as I drove one of the 1st Gulf War DPVs on the saturday and the pink 110 WMIK on the sunday & monday, the only instructions were "dont hit any other vehicle" I must admit it was great fun and was very well received by the arena crowd.

• 3 weeks later...
the only instructions were "dont hit any other vehicle" I must admit it was great fun and was very well received by the arena crowd.

The last one of those I did in my own DPV last year I had one of those "seat squab, bum clenching moments when the guy driving one of the out rider motorcycles did a wheelie and came off, right in front of me.......

Seriously, if you move the show back to the weekend that it was, I think you will have a greater attendance. I know for a fact that I didnt attend as it clashed with other shows in the south east......