Matador, all this could be mine!

Driving position is fine, trust me, ( i have had one for the last 20 years! and I am 6 foot tall, and was 1/2" taller when I bought it, all those years ago) if you are not sure borrow one, I am sure you'll like it. Gear lever position is fine too, not a problem.

Edited by antarmike

The only criticism I have with driving a Matador is the strength of arm you need to steer when on the the standard Marles Cam and Roller steering box, but I see from the photo that this one has been converted to the Burman reduction steering box. More turns from lock to lock (about 7) instead of 3 1/2 on the Marles. Plenty of wheel turning to do but you don't have to be a weight lifter.

Edited by antarmike

matadorcab008.jpg

some might take a while to getting used to slipping the foot under the released handbrake to get to the accelerator.

Getting the foot back out again is easy in trainers but harder in screw on sole Commando boots. (but you get used to it)

matadorcab007.jpg

Yes, all Matadors were build with the legendary wooden block screwed to the floorboards to rest your heel on..

Go on, Go on, You will regret it if you don't but it....

Edited by antarmike

Driving postion looks awkward to say the least. Pick a gear and stick with would be the order of the day unless you have very skinny legs.

Is the handbrake meant to be applied after the driver has left the cab?

Looks like there's a link missing from the cooling system between the heads!

Apart from the above looks a very good truck, buy it now!

I took that photo sat skew, with my right foot over the handbrake lever and my left leg against the lever, a manky rotten seat cushion a good reason to try and hover!

Anybody know about Warner Electric Brakes? The Matador has such a unit fitted, which would of been wired to a connector at the rear for connecting to the towed unit. As it is an Artillery Tractor, did 5.5" Howitzers etc use this sort of braking system?

Edited by Adam Elsdon

Yes the warner system is normally associated with the 4.5 and 5.5 field guns on the 5.5 gun carraige.

Basically a link between the Brake pedal, and the arm on the Warner controller, caused it to rotate as the foot brake is applied altering the number of resistors that are in the braking circuit.

The connector at the back, was I believe the four pin socket, well four bayonet socket. Four flat bayonets are set at 90 degrees to each other, radially spaced in the socket. (one being earth, one being brake lights, one being side lights and the fourth being the electrical connection to the braking circuit.)

Part of the circuit drops the Matadors 12v supply to 6 volts, the designed voltage of the gun braking components.

The rod linking the foot pedal to the controller is spring loaded so that the controller cannot prevent full brake application of the tractor, the spring merely extends if the rod is accidentally set too short.

If this Mat has the Warner brake controller, the chances are that it should have a fifth brake cylinder, under the rear Cross member. A cable from towed artillery, could be clipped onto the pull rod from the cylinder, to apply cable brakes.

When no cable was attached a clip could be engaged that prevented the piston from moving, this saving air that would otherwise be wasted. This appears to have been lost in the rear cross memeber convertion.

Edited by antarmike

• 2 years later...
Yes the warner system is normally associated with the 4.5 and 5.5 field guns on the 5.5 gun carraige.

Basically a link between the Brake pedal, and the arm on the Warner controller, caused it to rotate as the foot brake is applied altering the number of resistors that are in the braking circuit.

The connector at the back, was I believe the four pin socket, well four bayonet socket. Four flat bayonets are set at 90 degrees to each other, radially spaced in the socket. (one being earth, one being brake lights, one being side lights and the fourth being the electrical connection to the braking circuit.)

Part of the circuit drops the Matadors 12v supply to 6 volts, the designed voltage of the gun braking components.

The rod linking the foot pedal to the controller is spring loaded so that the controller cannot prevent full brake application of the tractor, the spring merely extends if the rod is accidentally set too short.

If this Mat has the Warner brake controller, the chances are that it should have a fifth brake cylinder, under the rear Cross member. A cable from towed artillery, could be clipped onto the pull rod from the cylinder, to apply cable brakes.

When no cable was attached a clip could be engaged that prevented the piston from moving, this saving air that would otherwise be wasted. This appears to have been lost in the rear cross memeber convertion.

Please dont leave us in suspence,did you buy this vehicle & if so, what does it look like today.

That solves a puzzle from GDSF then! I did wonder if the FWD badge was a decoy...

Here is some more information about it, Croc might know a bit more about it as well although I'm sure there is some more info on HMVF as well.

043.jpg

Thanks very much! Certainly looked a very useful machine.

I got to drive it in the playpen and operate the hiab crane:-D to load up the volvo ballast tractor with all the crap we bought from dorset ,a very usefull machine indeed and big thanks to croc for all his help . the only problem i have now is do i cut my militant down to a four wheeler its already fitted with a hiab but its a long wheelbase militant with the same turning circle as the bismarck .WHAT DO YOU THINK cut it down or leave it as it is ?