Stalwart braking system & other bits

Would apprecite it from everyone if we were to steer away from the name of the business involved. Thank you.

Jack.

Jack, I think by now, just about everyone knows who this firm of Marvellous 'Engineers' is!! :cool2:

Yes but you are missing my point.

Folks,

We are veering massively off-topic here. Jack is rightly concerned for the Forums reputation, we none of us want to see it involved in any potential nastiness do we??

Please - lets just concentrate on the issues at hand which is the rebuild/overhaul of the braking system of a Stalwart. I know, no one better, the reasons why this work is having to be done but have and will continue to refrain from any public "naming and shaming". By all means it's fair to comment on work not done - e.g. hydraulic unions left loose etc. but lets not take it/go any further than that.

Now back on topic - a "quiet" day for me today, Lee is working on the sensing tank, air pack and remaining calliper at home and I got an urgent phone call from the daughter (hence the "quiet") asking me to go collect the boyfriend + 2 large suitcases from Heathrow as his dad just refused! Don't ask why!!

Work at the Stalwart itself will resume tomorrow morning! :)

Started the day with cleaning brake reservoir, both unions were loose and leaking but couldn't be tighted as they didn't have captive nuts... going to be fun trying to get them to tighten up... might just replace those slotted barrels with nuts & washers...

101_3604.jpg

101_3605.jpg

On to the O/S Airpack...

Strip down, clean & inspect... full of crap fluid & dirt, rubbers seem ok which is just as well as there don't seem to be any spares about for the airpacks

101_3611.jpg

101_3612.jpg

101_3613.jpg

101_3622.jpg

101_3614.jpg

101_3615.jpg

101_3616.jpg

The two o-rings on the air side are perished & will need replacing, none available from the dealers so will have to try & find some..

101_3617.jpg

101_3619.jpg

101_3621.jpg

Back together & ready to fit to air tank once I've located some o-rings

101_3623.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

Now the govenor... the pressure adjusting screw was backed right off so it's unlikely it was set to the correct pressure.... the vlave plunger was siezed so it wasn't working anyway...

101_3624.jpg

101_3625.jpg

101_3627.jpg

All cleaned up & ready for greasing and re-assembly

101_3629.jpg

Governorvalve.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

Nice job Lee - many thanks!!

One more calliper and one more air pack to go (not including the two rears we don't have enough piston seals for).

The air packs are supposed to be standard commercial bits; normally Clayton De Wandre (sp?) and the guy at Abbey Hose said the shop next door dealt with them so maybe a place/source for the "O" rings??

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Nice job Lee - many thanks!!

One more calliper and one more air pack to go (not including the two rears we don't have enough piston seals for).

The air packs are supposed to be standard commercial bits; normally Clayton De Wandre (sp?) and the guy at Abbey Hose said the shop next door dealt with them so maybe a place/source for the "O" rings??

Just looked them up.. it's "Clayton Dewandre", may have to make a trip down there then... wait until I have the other airpack apart incase there are other seals needed...

I couldn't say if the cylinder bores were the same size; but the Ford 'D' Series trucks of the early seventies used an airpack identical in design to that one. It was found mostly on the smaller models like dthe D300, 400 and 500, up to about ten tons gross. The governor valve is a very common one, again the 'D' Series used one identical, and they are also fitted to Leyland freighters.

Above that size they used the same set up as the Bedford MJ's with a dual circuit hydraulic system. All of the smaller models were single line systems, which is probably why yours has twin airpacks. It would have been a lot easier if they had used the MJ type braking system with the tandem master cylinders, and no doubt a lot cheaper to produce.

Sorry, I'm pokin' me nose in again. An old git with a head full of irrelevant crap. :)

Edited by Swill1952xs

I couldn't say if the cylinder bores were the same size; but the Ford 'D' Series trucks of the early seventies used an airpack identical in design to that one. It was found mostly on the smaller models like dthe D300, 400 and 500, up to about ten tons gross.

Above that size they used the same set up as the Bedford MJ's with a dual circuit hydraulic system. All of the smaller models were single line systems, which is probably why yours has twin airpacks. It would have been a lot easier if they had used the MJ type braking system with the tandem master cylinders, and no doubt a lot cheaper to produce.

Sorry, I'm pokin' me nose in again. An old git with a head full of irrelevant crap. :)

Possibly had the Mk 3 Stalwart ever seen the light of day the master cylinder arrangement might have been changed - certainly the power pack would have been changed from the B81 to the one used by the later 432's (K60?) so running costs would have dropped for us private owners!! :):)

Good luck finding seals for your air packs. We have the same ones on our old crane at work (coles hydra husky 18 ton) this weighs 26 tons. we gave up and fitted the air tanks and master cylinder set up off a ford cargo truck. the brakes now work well enough to stop on the slipway at work. it never leaves the yard now but we needed some brakes being surrounded but thousands of pounds worth of boats!

Well - another good days work today - despite the other half taking the Stalwart keys out of the centre console of the Exploder... :argh:

Second air pack is now out, we've got the compressor apart and it looks in reasonable condition - but the oil ring was in two pieces so the bore and the piston have gone down the local engineering firm to be honed and have new rings supplied. The Methanol container (air brake antifreeze) had the pick-up pipe broken off so Lee is going to fabricate a replacement for it.

Close inspection showed the flexi pipe linking the compressor inlet to the air intake had collapsed.

And the same close inspection revealed the rubber(s) on the throttle slave cylinder had more or less had it - as had at least one of the fan belts. I would point out here and now that I specifically requested the belts be swapped over as mine were literally brand new - been on the vehicle about 2 months if that prior to the prang.

Then we moved onto the winch housing as we could not get into the cab. Gawd what a mess, the original taper seat bolts holding the lower hull plate in place had been replaced with ordinary ones so it was a fight to get one of them out. Once the plate was dropped the full horror became apparent - not only was the cable a right birds nest but it had wrapped itself araound the shoe of the cab indicator guide and ripped it off!! So now I need to find a replacement for that!! :argh:

Lee got some good pictures and will be posting them on shortly.

Edited by Marmite!!
Correction

.... teaching you more than you ever wanted to know about Stalwarts, isn't it?

Having owned a LARC 5 (didn't run, so it didn't eat much) a GPA (junk) and a DUKW (best of the lot) I'm thinking there's more parts in one Stalwart than in all three of those put together.

I have particularly fond memories of the DUKW as it had very few jobs that one person couldn't tackle with the appropriate spanners and a bit of ingenuity, whereas the Stalwart looks like a two person / heavy equipment job for just about anything serious.

I'm just very happy I didn't give in to temptation when I sold the DUKW and buy a cheap Stalwart, though I have had a run in a fully-sorted one and very nice it was too.

Gordon

Flippin' right it is - what was originally a "simple" (like anything is ever simple on the Alvis 6x6 family..) brake issue is devolving into the compressor, throttle, winch - and we haven't finished yet!!!

Funnily enough - I wanted a DUKW, still do, but didn't have the £25,000+ they were going for at the time (still don't for that matter!!). :)

I love driving the old girl - on or off-road it's an experience like no other - except perhaps a Saracen. Saladin or Salamander. :)

But the mechanics are a nightmare as everything is packed in to the lower hull. I'm damned lucky Lee is available as he fits into a lot of spaces I can't!! :)

Edited by ArtistsRifles

More bits for the workshop:sweat:

Set about getting the N/S airpack out today, not a good start when the banjo union sheared off in the airpack... spent the next hour messing about getting the two halfs of the union undone:argh:

101_3634.jpg

101_3635.jpg

101_3636.jpg

Back to the workshop... this airpack was in a worse condition than the O/S.... got about 2pints of sludge out of the tank..

101_3663.jpg

101_3664.jpg

101_3665.jpg

101_3666.jpg

101_3667.jpg

O-rings had failed on this pack too...

101_3668.jpg

101_3672.jpg

Siezed in the same place as the other pack...

101_3675.jpg

Stubborn backnut...

101_3677.jpg

101_3673.jpg

101_3679.jpg

Cleaning out the airtank

101_3682.jpg

Data Plate

101_3683.jpg

Reassembly this evening... looking for o-rings tomorrow...

As I was in the engine bay I decided to have the top of the compressor off to check the bore/rings as oil had been getting into the airpacks/brake lines.

Found the oil ring snapped in two & the bore lightly pitted, took them down to Thurston Engineering in Ongar, Essex. They had a look & said the rings were worn, so they are ordering new rings & hope a hone on the cylinders will be enough to sort the bore out... if they had the rings in stock the job would of been done today... they quote £15 to hone the cylinder & about £30 for a set of rings.... a lot cheaper than £XXX for a new compressor... I've got the head in the workshop to check the valve seats..

Air filter needs removing as the compressor is hidden below..

101_3637.jpg

101_3638.jpg

101_3640.jpg

101_3641.jpg

Broken oil ring

101_3643.jpg

101_3644.jpg

101_3645.jpg

101_3646.jpg

101_3660.jpg

101_3662.jpg

Now for the winch... I tried to get the hull plate off the other day but one of the bolt heads was too deep in the countersink in the hull plate... as Neil said the wrong bolts had been used...

A hacksaw blade sorted the last one out..

101_3648.jpg

101_3658.jpg

101_3659.jpg

Winch cable in a right mess & tangled around the cab cable indicator guide which the cable had ripped off...

101_3649.jpg

101_3651.jpg

101_3656.jpg

101_3657.jpg

The bit that has been ripped off in #71 on the diagram

WinchDiagram-1.jpg

Bet that compressor barrel will be fun to get back on!

On the plus side, winch bracket doesn't look too difficult to re-fabricate.

How much of Neil's orginal truck has made it over to this new hull?

Obviously not as much as intended, just wondered about engine and gearbox and there condition.

More bits for the workshop:sweat:

Set about getting the N/S airpack out today, not a good start when the banjo union sheared off in the airpack... spent the next hour messing about getting the two halfs of the union undone:argh:

Reassembly this evening... looking for o-rings tomorrow...

Oh Mate,....It just keeps getting better? I feel so sorry for you.:-(

It's not just the expense is it. It's all the downtime of you not being able to enjoy using her. And obviously all the extra work involved. I think you are doing a marvelous & thoroughly excellent job! This will be very usefull Im sure for all Stallwart owners who MAY have to tackle this sad task in the future? Well done, both of you. :thumbsup:

Mike.

Edited by Marmite!!
trimmed images from quote

Oh Mate,....It just keeps getting better? I feel so sorry for you.:-(

It's not just the expense is it. It's all the downtime of you not being able to enjoy using her. And obviously all the extra work involved. I think you are doing a marvelous & thoroughly excellent job! This will be very usefull Im sure for all Stallwart owners who MAY have to tackle this sad task in the future? Well done, both of you. :thumbsup:

Mike.

It's neil you need to feel sorry for, it's his MV... I'm just the guy doing the work....:sweat:thanks for the compliments anyway :-D

Neil, this must be heart breaking for you, just one fault after another, I really feel for you.

Lee, we have had our differences and knowing me, probably will again:-D but hats off to you on this job you are really going the extra mile, just hope you can find all the bits you need and you can both see the job out.

Best of luck.