I think this is terrible!

fv1609

Clive, I have always had a fascination with these ships bow design, and have never really understood why the backwards sloping shape would have been an advantage.

The day before the Turks invaded Cyprus in 1974, I was inPiraeus looking at the warships moored there, the next day they were all gone. We then went on a ferry to an Island and tucked away in a cove we saw a ship with a similar shaped hull, welding work was being done to it.

Some American passengers were amazed that the Greeks seemed to be preparing it for war, saying things like "Gee, can't believe they're fixing up that old First World War coal burner, they haven't got a chance!" It certainly looked very old fashioned!

PS just spotted Becket :rofl:

Clive, I have always had a fascination with these ships bow design, and have never really understood why the backwards sloping shape would have been an advantage.

I believe that you will find that the ram bow was designed to sink ships by ramming, which was given an exaggerated importance in the seond half of the Nineteenth Century following the events of the Battle of Lissa.

Propulsion: 2 shafts

4 cylinder VTE steam engines

48 Bellville type water tube boilers

25,000 hp Speed: 22 knots (41 km/h) Range: 7000 nm (13000 km) at 14 knots (26 km/h)

3000 tons coal

Does this mean that after 4 hours at full power = 25,513 ihp (19,025 kW) = 21.9 knots (40.6 km/h) those poor stokers would have shoveled 3000 tons of coal into 48 fires? :sweat:62.5 tons each boiler! :shake:

Edited by gritineye

I believe that you will find that the ram bow was designed to sink ships by ramming, which was given an exaggerated importance in the seond half of the Nineteenth Century following the events of the Battle of Lissa.

Thanks Bystander, I had thought ramming went out of fashion a long time before then, should have thought of that.

25,000 hp Speed: 22 knots (41 km/h) Range: 7000 nm (13000 km) at 14 knots (26 km/h)

3000 tons coal

Does this mean that after 4 hours at full power = 25,513 ihp (19,025 kW) = 21.9 knots (40.6 km/h) those poor stokers would have shoveled 3000 tons of coal into 48 fires? :sweat:62.5 tons each boiler! :shake:

No!

Assuming:

14knots requires 5750ihp

Coal used per ihp is constant (as greater steam demand was met by lighting more boilers this may well be true)

Range at 21.9knots = 7000 x 5750/25513 = 1578nm

Distance at max speed for 4 hours = 87.6nm

Coal used ----------''-------------=87.6/1578x3000=166tons

Or 41.6 tons/hour:coffee:

Edited by radiomike7

3000 tons coal

I think 3,000 tons would have been the bunker capacity.

I think 3,000 tons would have been the bunker capacity.

You said that with a straight face Degsy, I think I'll stick to logarithms, infinitesimal calculus, slide rules, and mental interstellar navigation stuff in future, this simple maths eludes me, :cool: