Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have been working on floyd again today and it didant go well

480.jpg

managed to brake a part of the stator moter sleav off while trying to remove the starter AGAIN :argh: not pleased with myslef

484.jpg

the offeending damaged stud was removed with ease allmost whic made my day a bit better

481.jpg

i am now certain that this engine was not orginal i think it was removed from another vehical as i have a service manual for a MEADOWS GUY PSV 10.35 oil egine

dose this sound rite to anyone ?

Edited by younggun

managed to brake a part of the stator moter sleav off while trying to remove the starter AGAIN :argh: not pleased with myslef

Don't beat yourself up over this Nick, If I remember right amongst my meadows bits I had a couple of cracked ones and one welded one, I had similar troubles with this bl***y part! Check all mating surfaces for chips and gouges and file/scrape flat if needed, to prevent the lugs from being stressed, s*d to get at though.

Edited by gritineye

Don't beat yourself up over this Nick, If I remember right amongst my meadows bits I had a couple of cracked ones and one welded one, I had similar troubles with this bl***y part! Check all mating surfaces for chips and gouges and file/scrape flat if needed, to prevent the lugs from being stressed, s*d to get at though.

where the previous owner had forcefully removed the starter the mating seface on the engine now looks like the serface of the moon :confused: this could take a while :coffee:

Mine was only held in with two bolts mate (broken lug on sleeve and sleeve turned round so you couldn't see from the top ) :nono: ! They must stick together after a while so when I put mine back I think I may smear the mating surfaces with copperslip ! Its a lot easier to remove if you take the whole cab, oil filters and steering box off first mate !:cry: Not recommended !!!!!!!! Keep up the good work ! Its all fun ! :-D

Wow! You'll have to have those "pretty" go faster blue silicone pipes and hoses to set those mounts off properly (they work fine on my Explorer!), along with some tasteful sill and windscreen washer lights (I only use Christmas tree lights occasionally)!!

Then again I'm sure they will do the job, and allow more a slightly more comfortable driving experience.

Jules

• 3 weeks later...

L10 Cummins fitting lesson 6

Important bit, do this or get symptoms of boiling water :sweat:

In the front of the cylinder head is an air vent tapping, this has to be connected to the radiator above the waterline, this is how I did it (just an excuse to use the photo really :-D )

DSCF4295.jpg

8-picture3.gif

Think that's it now, all done.

Nice pic Bernard must be odd being in an Explorer and not being the biggest recovery vehicle on the road at that point ! If the ARV can get through you have no problems ! Heres a couple of pics of your spanner in action ! Thanks again for the loan mate ! The apples stewed up lovely by the way ! :-D odd222.jpgodd2252.jpgdaisy071.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Andy, Great to see some pics of you making progress on Daisy :-D the walking beam looks great all painted up! Is that just standard grey primer or something special? I'm in the process of pulling my finger out and getting some paint on mine...

Keep up the good work!

Andy, Great to see some pics of you making progress on Daisy :-D the walking beam looks great all painted up! Is that just standard grey primer or something special? I'm in the process of pulling my finger out and getting some paint on mine...

Keep up the good work!

Hello mate , good to hear from you again ! Just bog standard grey primer from local hardware shop that thins with white spirit for spraying ! I top coat with Deep Bronze Green from RR services that also thins nicely with white spirit and gives a nice shiney hard finish that resembles an enamel paint ! I'm looking forward to hearing more tails of military machine madness from north of the border soon ! Regards Andy !:-D

Cheers Andy! I've used Zinc182 primer on mine, hopefully that should do the trick.. I should have a good update on progress in a few weeks time :cool2:

Keep the pictures coming!

Used the Zinc 182 primer on my Land Rover bulkhead after welding once then regretted it when top coating. Got a nasty reaction with paint which went a pale colour and cracked.

I'd try a small patch of your intended top coat before going any further.

• 1 month later...

hi all not been on for a while got the new engine mounts fitted and guess what all vibration gone greased propshafts as well after fitting new mounts

in top gear its a dream now i would never have believed it i thought so much about replacing the metalastic coupling to remove the vibration and make my scammell drivable to shows and 2 mounts have made that possible i will post more pictures of the work so far soon

thanks chris

hi all not been on for a while got the new engine mounts fitted and guess what all vibration gone greased propshafts as well after fitting new mounts

in top gear its a dream now i would never have believed it i thought so much about replacing the metalastic coupling to remove the vibration and make my scammell drivable to shows and 2 mounts have made that possible i will post more pictures of the work so far soon

thanks chris

This is a euphoric moment in Explorer ownership which many never achieve, despite years of trying, the road to this milestone can be troublesome, worrying and expensive .:banghead: :cry: You must be so chuffed, :yay: have a good show season Chris!

• 3 weeks later...

Mine are very thick felt Andy, it shows felt in my w/shop manual and packing in the parts book. I reckon felt would be better being more squeezable.

Maybe a long strip of not so thick felt wrapped round a few times would do?

You can get that in green I'm sure :-D

A few years ago my timing wheel came off and the timing went out. When I put it back on the wire over lapped on the drum.

What is the best way to solve this ? Is the best way to pull the whole wire out and start again or could I get away with pulling it out to where it overlapped and then retime it from there - is this possible ?:confused: