Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they're possibly not the Egyptian variant as the front winch fairlead is on the wrong side meaning they are RH drive. I also notice that the one I have posed as Australian may be New Zealand as it has a number starting with NZ on the door! :red:

I'll look into that a bit further.

Yup should have been New Zealand, in 1956, the Egyptian ones were in 1959

time spent in research is seldom wasted either!!

Is this not Nothe fort ?

at one time it was offered for free to anyone who was willing to restore it.

Ashley

This one in need of care and attention in a museum on the south coast ( can't remember where) :confused:

willey1.jpg

[quote=

Any info on the Explorer in the pics please mate ? Looks like you have a lovely collection of vehicles ! Andy F

As promised Andy,

This Explorer isn't mine but belongs to a mate who keeps it at my place. I can't find a note of the chassis number just now but it is an early one. It still has the Meadows petrol destroyer.

He bought it from the late Bill Henderson of Ballochmyle who in turn had bought it from the garage in Dalbeattie

It was one of the worst tow jobs I ever did with the Matador, It had stood for years without turning as wheel, with the result that the tyres all had flats on them, at anything more than about ten MPH the resultant vibration would have shaken the teeth from your head.

Scammel arriving Lugar.JPG

Scammel restored.jpg

Is this not Nothe fort ?

at one time it was offered for free to anyone who was willing to restore it.

Ashley

As I replied earlier, my mate was doing some building work at the Fort when the Scammell was put up for disposal. He thinks it was taken to Shropshire area by some guys, for restoration.

Richard

[quote name=

Any info on the Explorer in the pics please mate ? Looks like you have a lovely collection of vehicles ! Andy F

As promised Andy' date='

This Explorer isn't mine but belongs to a mate who keeps it at my place. I can't find a note of the chassis number just now but it is an early one. It still has the Meadows petrol destroyer.

He bought it from the late Bill Henderson of Ballochmyle who in turn had bought it from the garage in Dalbeattie

It was one of the worst tow jobs I ever did with the Matador, It had stood for years without turning as wheel, with the result that the tyres all had flats on them, at anything more than about ten MPH the resultant vibration would have shaken the teeth from your head.

Looks like he has done a lovely job mate ! Any chance of her attending shows in south east England ?Would like a closer look ! More inspiration always comes in handy ! Thanks for posting the pictures ! Andy F.