Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looked like the one which was for sale in last months cmv's classifieds.

yes i do believe it is that one, has a leyland 680 installed or it did from the vids it seems the engine has gone rice crispes on them ( snap crackle and pop ) hence it being towed

Edited by younggun

Emailed the seller and its contract 7443 so must be mk 2 with mark 1 filters I guess !

spoke to the seller and he tells me it was re engined in the midlands by a showman shortly after it was released from the army in 1970 does anyone have any thoughts and a gardner powerd explorer ?

Edited by younggun

spoke to the seller and he tells me it was re engined in the midlands by a showman shortly after it was releasd from the amy in1970 dous enyone have eny thorts and a gardner powerd exeplorer ?

The 6LW as fitted to the Pioneer is not the best engine for an Explorer - 8.4 litres, 100bhp, 1750rpm max compared with 10.3 litres, 180bhp and 2400rpm for the original petrol. The later 6LX 150bhp and 6LXB 180bhp are too long, while the easiest and neatest conversion must be a Leyland 680 or 680 Power Plus.

The 6LW as fitted to the Pioneer is not the best engine for an Explorer - 8.4 litres, 100bhp, 1750rpm max compared with 10.3 litres, 180bhp and 2400rpm for the original petrol. The later 6LX 150bhp and 6LXB 180bhp are too long, while the easiest and neatest conversion must be a Leyland 680 or 680 Power Plus.

i was thinking along the same lines ive seen a few leyland 680s for sale lately i dont know how hard it would be to swap them over ime used to dealing with more modern vehicals in that department

Edited by younggun

Isn't the Cummins 220 another good conversion? Several trucks about with them, although good 220s hard to find now.

Cummins rule OK :cool2:

I second that, the 14 ltr lumps fill the space and look the part, L10 lumps are a real pain to fit but more good ones are around.

What ever the choice of engine the oil sump position and size is critical for axle clearance, this one looks like it has a front sump and the front spring has a spacer fitted to get clearance, :rolleyes:

1400notsold2005.jpg