Scammell Explorer Gallery

I second that, the 14 ltr lumps fill the space and look the part, L10 lumps are a real pain to fit but more good ones are around.

What ever the choice of engine the oil sump position and size is critical for axle clearance, this one looks like it has a front sump and the front spring has a spacer fitted to get clearance, :rolleyes:

1400notsold2005.jpg

Bernard the 220 is not a 14 litre but just over 12, I am not even sure if the two are from the same engine family.

There is a nice red Explorer with an AEC 760 for sale in an auction very soon.....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or catweasel's been at it, he loves the look of a diesel speedboat!

My mistake Mike, you live and learn, I always thought this (Joe Daws) was a 220 14ltr, whatever it is fills the bonnet nicely!

Scammell2019.jpg

Edited by gritineye

Or catweasel's been at it, he loves the look of a diesel speedboat!

My mistake Mike, you live and learn, I always thought this (Joe Daws) was a 220 14ltr, whatever it is fills the bonnet nicely!

Scammell2019.jpg

Cummins 220 is a good engine, I am currently negotiating to buy a Defender fitted with one.

Cummins 220 is a good engine, I am currently negotiating to buy a Defender fitted with one.

WHAT? You might get one in the buck, but surely not under the bonnet? :confused::confused::confused: Or are you not talking Landrover? 4BT maybe?

WHAT? You might get one in the buck, but surely not under the bonnet? :confused::confused::confused: Or are you not talking Landrover? 4BT maybe?

Ah sorry, forgot the LR version :rofl:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120257938422&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

Always fancied a classic British 8 wheeler, even if it does have an American designed engine.

of course i want a GREEN one will be easier to hide it from my parents that way

hopefully will be veiwing a green one this week if work should take me in direction of doncaster

Edited by younggun

I second that, the 14 ltr lumps fill the space and look the part, L10 lumps are a real pain to fit but more good ones are around.

What ever the choice of engine the oil sump position and size is critical for axle clearance, this one looks like it has a front sump and the front spring has a spacer fitted to get clearance, :rolleyes:

1400notsold2005.jpg

This was the first one I looked at seriously. Engine was a 680 which started and ran quite nicely but there was quite a bit wrong with it so I decided against it in the end.

This was the spacer on the front spring.

1000002imgtu2.jpg

The gear gate was held in place with a rope.

1000006imgoa1.jpg

An extra frame had been made below the transposing box.

1000016imgzq0.jpg

This stiffening plate stopped the jib being fully stowed.

1000009imggx1.jpg

There were other things but I think that will do.:-D

Thanks croc, I never expected to see such a pure example of what the Americans call "redneck engineering" in the UK, the spacer is a gem as it retains a working bump stop!

It is a great example of why it is worth looking round a few examples of something to get to know them. I have a suspicion that the faults were linked. With that spacer there is a greater angle on the front driveline possibly causing extra stress on the gearbox/transposing box, hence the extra support bracket.

I was quite keen on this one until I looked at it properly, I am very glad I didn't buy it.

It is a great example of why it is worth looking round a few examples of something to get to know them. I have a suspicion that the faults were linked. With that spacer there is a greater angle on the front driveline possibly causing extra stress on the gearbox/transposing box, hence the extra support bracket.

I was quite keen on this one until I looked at it properly, I am very glad I didn't buy it.

Croc I suspect the support bracket is replacing one or both of the integral cast gearbox mounts which may have sheared off, possibly due to a propshaft failure. At one stage, prop breakages were so common (and the results so spectacular) that many Explorers had 'grease propshaft ever 50 miles' stencilled on the inside of the driver's door. Can you imagine having to stop at every other motorway service area to grease the prop?

The bodge on the front spring could have been avoided by using the correct oilpan on the engine.