were there NI specific weapons and ancilleries?

webkitlover

Just a few to be going on with:

MARAUDER, STARTRAIN, CYCLET, SNIFFER, SWEEP, HED, PROBAN, DUBLOON, PANTAC, BED, CATS, CLARIBEL, EALS, ARIES, MINISID, UGS, DISID, MAGID, PORTABLE, DOMINO, STL, HELI-TELE, STARTRON, PNG, NITEC, NITESUN, NOD, SHORTIE, ACR FIREFLY, BETALIGHT, NODSPOT, GNAT, BLACKBOARD,  BUBBLE, BUCKEYE,  CLASSIC, CUED, DIVAFLICKER, GAMMAMAT, GATWES, GOBLIN, GROUND OWL, HED, HOTROD, KEYSTONE, NEEDLE, OPSTATS, PAWPAW,  PIGSTICK, POLESTAR, QUELL, RAPISCAN, SHORACRE, SHRIKE, SLIM, SPYGLASS, TELDIX, TIBEROUS, WOZZECK 

and not to forget TRUNCHEON, WOOD, HICKORY (an RN stores item!)

39 minutes ago, Chris Hall said:

You’ll have to elaborate on those

Oh crikey that'll take a while esp as the PC has crashed out.

Starting with the Truncheon, wood, hickory O467-8465-99-428-0717

Note the DMC (Domestic Management Code) is O467 & not to be read as 0467

O467 is the RN DMC for INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDING HANDCUFFS, WHISTLES & BATONS

Although that is how it was codified in recent times, Lists of Change Vol LXIX introduced it on 29th September 1959 into VAOS (Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores) Section KC as Batons (Cat No. KC 19252) "The Baton is made of hickory wood, 24 in long, incorporating a hand grip. A leather thong is affixed for securing to the wrist of the user. The above items are hereby introduced." 

So we have an exact time marker for its introduction. The other item to which it refers is Shields (Cat No. KC 19253) (For anti-riot use) & gives a description of its structure.

RN 30.JPG

RN 31.jpg

8 hours ago, Chris Hall said:

PP and PPK were standard arms rather than specific to NI but I suppose you could say they were used in a role possibly they were not intended for.

To which you can add the, then out-of-service .38" Enfield revolver - the one with the shaven hammer comb intended for crews of AFVs.  There was a shortage of Browning 9mm pistols in the 70s due to the increase in demand for pistols in NI.  So, in 1977 some troops who were required to carry arms in civilian clothes were issued  with .38 Enfields which had been held in war reserve.  The only problem was that the ammunition was imported for the Far East and of poor quality.  On initial issue there was too little ammunition available for it to be used for training.  Once sufficient stocks were available, a bit of practice in the pipe range soon revealed that not every round could be guaranteed to go off! 

Also issued at that time were hideous black plastic shoulder holsters with very thin straps and a snap buckle which would have been impossible to open in an emergency, but, which were so slippery and unyielding that, if the weapon wasn't secured, it could be guaranteed to fall out when least welcome and most embarrassing!  I don't think many people wore them, preferring to stuff their pistol in the trouser belt- also a recipe for potential disaster as trousers in those days had rather wide, flared legs and, if it slipped down, the pistol would soon fall out the bottom and bounce noisily across the floor!

10 68

The No.2 Mk1* Enfield was never designed for AFV. There was a recommendation from the Tank Corp for a combless hammer version but the main reason for this was a change in doctrine. All production after early 1941 were Mk1* regardless of contract and destination service arm.

i wouldn’t have wanted to carry one concealed in NI, that’s for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, my search for NI kit is going well.

after speaking to veterans that served in 2 different decades it seems there are very few bit's of kit that were only issued to NI troops. it's really only riot gear and webbing kit was cut down for urban patrols.

I have however managed to find a few bits for the display, the Veterans have a store which revealed a replica armalite, a deac SLR with SUIT sight, bren gun and SMG. and a few odd bits of kit including a batton! 

I also managed to buy a pair of mint NI boots (a tiny size 6), I see why people preferred them to DMS or Hileg boots, they are pretty light in comparrison and in the toe end there is a sort of soft felt, so it would feel like slippers!

a bomb search torch/mirror was alsobought in the same shop.

all the rest of the kit shown pouches helmet, weapon stuff etc is my own.

But could anyone help, I'm trying to figure out when this particular search tool was issued the torch seems pretty old school like 80's or earlier style, and car bombs became a popular method for terrorists, I assume it was issued around then?

I believ it's caled a "Under Vehicle inspection mirror, swivel end"

The store code is on a plastic sticker near the torch end and it says:

"1385 99 839 8066"

"P.W.Allen 90"

is the 90 a date or model?

The torch is a heavy duty black rubber coated D cell torch made by  "Ever ready" 2 buttons  marked + & - (on/off). You unscrew the front lens to replace batteries, which is why it has odd bits sticking out on the lens on the right angles. there is a flip down plastic bulb holder at the rear. which I initially thought might be the battery cap or lanyard hole. The pole itself does not extend it just has a ball joint for the mirror wich simply attatches with an embedded nut and bolt.

Any ideas of manufacture date, when it was issued or who to?

IMG_20190924_224942_603.jpg

IMG_20190925_101103_752.jpg

IMG_20190925_101103_751.jpg

I'm afraid that those mirrors weren't exclusive to NI.  They were issued on mainland GB and in BAOR as well to occupants of married quarters which were off camp and, therefore, not within a protected perimeter.  I never found them to be a lot of good, though - the mirror was a bit small and the light from the rubber torch was pretty poor in daylight, even under a car.  The bigger ones on wheels were used by guardrooms for inspecting vehicles entering camps.

10 68

17 hours ago, webkitlover said:

Well, as long as they were in military service I don't mind, BOAR was around the same time so it must have been used in NI too.I seem to remember using one with a rectangular mirror but it's a long time ago!

Just  a Small Correction Webkitleftover.  It is B.A.O.R Not BOAR. = British Army Of the Rhine.  A Common error ;)