webkitlover

were there NI specific weapons and ancilleries?

L4A9 was supposed to have been introduced for NI use. Probably quite a few official but minor alterations to most of the standard issue weapons for NI.

Just about everything was used in NI, from SLR's to Armalites and right up to the 50 Cal, and that's just the Army. RUC had their own kit, S&W and Rugers and the players, well they had a lot of strange kit too!

It all depends on time frame!

L67 & L48 Baton Guns were introduced for the N.I 'Campaign'. They were made from modified No:1  1.1/2" Very Pistols.

Later on there was a U.S Wooden Butt Version that supplemented stocks already being used there also.

I forget the designation, I think it was a Federal Baton Gun?

PP and PPK were standard arms rather than specific to NI but I suppose you could say they were used in a role possibly they were not intended for.

Just a few to be going on with:

MARAUDER, STARTRAIN, CYCLET, SNIFFER, SWEEP, HED, PROBAN, DUBLOON, PANTAC, BED, CATS, CLARIBEL, EALS, ARIES, MINISID, UGS, DISID, MAGID, PORTABLE, DOMINO, STL, HELI-TELE, STARTRON, PNG, NITEC, NITESUN, NOD, SHORTIE, ACR FIREFLY, BETALIGHT, NODSPOT, GNAT, BLACKBOARD,  BUBBLE, BUCKEYE,  CLASSIC, CUED, DIVAFLICKER, GAMMAMAT, GATWES, GOBLIN, GROUND OWL, HED, HOTROD, KEYSTONE, NEEDLE, OPSTATS, PAWPAW,  PIGSTICK, POLESTAR, QUELL, RAPISCAN, SHORACRE, SHRIKE, SLIM, SPYGLASS, TELDIX, TIBEROUS, WOZZECK 

and not to forget TRUNCHEON, WOOD, HICKORY (an RN stores item!)

I recognise various sensor equipment in there.

All sorts of what was sensitive "stuff".

39 minutes ago, Chris Hall said:

You’ll have to elaborate on those

Oh crikey that'll take a while esp as the PC has crashed out.

Starting with the Truncheon, wood, hickory O467-8465-99-428-0717

Note the DMC (Domestic Management Code) is O467 & not to be read as 0467

O467 is the RN DMC for INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDING HANDCUFFS, WHISTLES & BATONS

Although that is how it was codified in recent times, Lists of Change Vol LXIX introduced it on 29th September 1959 into VAOS (Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores) Section KC as Batons (Cat No. KC 19252) "The Baton is made of hickory wood, 24 in long, incorporating a hand grip. A leather thong is affixed for securing to the wrist of the user. The above items are hereby introduced." 

So we have an exact time marker for its introduction. The other item to which it refers is Shields (Cat No. KC 19253) (For anti-riot use) & gives a description of its structure.

RN 30.JPG

RN 31.jpg

8 hours ago, Chris Hall said:

PP and PPK were standard arms rather than specific to NI but I suppose you could say they were used in a role possibly they were not intended for.

To which you can add the, then out-of-service .38" Enfield revolver - the one with the shaven hammer comb intended for crews of AFVs.  There was a shortage of Browning 9mm pistols in the 70s due to the increase in demand for pistols in NI.  So, in 1977 some troops who were required to carry arms in civilian clothes were issued  with .38 Enfields which had been held in war reserve.  The only problem was that the ammunition was imported for the Far East and of poor quality.  On initial issue there was too little ammunition available for it to be used for training.  Once sufficient stocks were available, a bit of practice in the pipe range soon revealed that not every round could be guaranteed to go off! 

Also issued at that time were hideous black plastic shoulder holsters with very thin straps and a snap buckle which would have been impossible to open in an emergency, but, which were so slippery and unyielding that, if the weapon wasn't secured, it could be guaranteed to fall out when least welcome and most embarrassing!  I don't think many people wore them, preferring to stuff their pistol in the trouser belt- also a recipe for potential disaster as trousers in those days had rather wide, flared legs and, if it slipped down, the pistol would soon fall out the bottom and bounce noisily across the floor!

10 68

The No.2 Mk1* Enfield was never designed for AFV. There was a recommendation from the Tank Corp for a combless hammer version but the main reason for this was a change in doctrine. All production after early 1941 were Mk1* regardless of contract and destination service arm.

i wouldn’t have wanted to carry one concealed in NI, that’s for sure.

31 minutes ago, Chris Hall said:

i wouldn’t have wanted to carry one concealed in NI, that’s for sure.

Well, it was better than the alternative!

10 68