Ferret Mk 2/3 Restoration and paint sourcing

Peter Garwood

Now I have removed everything in the fighting compartment I am ready for internal paint. Any idea where I can source the silverish paint and where I can source the external paint for the body and the blue paint for the engine/transmission? Some phillistine seems to have painted the external surfaces with a weird paint which is peeling off showing a dull olive green with black areas. It is a mess, will probably burn it off now all fuel is removed. Thanks.

I used silver Hammerite (smooth) for mine. You should be able to get the sky blue for the engine and NATO green for the outside mixed up at any paint shop, or if you’re happy with his prices you could order from Marcus Glenn.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled the turret off and am about to steam clean the interior of the vehicle and engine and bay. However when I went to tow it with the tractor I pressed the footbrake and it went straight down to the floor! Handbrake held OK. What has happened to the brakes?? Where should I start looking!

Daft things first is there any fluid in the master cylinder looks like its been stood awhile as most of the brake pipe work is hidden it would be hard to see any leaks as the fluid can lay in the bottom of the hull if it was mine l would top up the master cylinder and pump the pedal and see if a leak appears

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit late to this discussion but the original aluminium paint for the interior was flame resistant being high in particulate aluminium. You can still buy such paints from better hardware stores though the paint finish is slightly grainy as you would expect.I once took a blowtorch to such paint and it barely scorched. The engine and transmission paint colour was referred to as 'Duck Egg Blue' and has a subtle greeny tinge to it. It is always best to quote the BS number when getting an accurate paint colour.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235041250-most-common-raf-underside-colour-battle-of-britain/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Cotton

This colour , there is evidence of good veracity IMHO , as to where Sidney Cotton obtained this colour from and registered it as CAMONTINT , this was in the days of his private PRU before nationalization by the RAF.   He observed that a aircraft soon dissapeared from sight soon after take-off , it was - owned by the Maharaja of Jodhpur

btw

If you look at the book :-

Classic Warbirds No. 12   "The ANZACs"  by Malcolm Laird & Steve Mackenzie

Page 13. 

photograph

This page . Two air to air photos of Spitfire PR.X1  PL885, flying at altitude over Italy. Note the uneven appearance of the PRU blue overall colour scheme.  (R. Buchanan)

----------------

Although the pics are black/white , it does seem correct , and wing upper surfaces do seem panel / panel delineated.  I can only surmise they actually clouded by use of all four shades around  "Sky".

The brake lines commonly rust through where they lie on the hull floor, they can be done in situ but its not easy. Also id not recommend burning the paint off use a needle gun, by far the best way IMHO.