Stolly without a brolly (or anything else to protect it)

matchlesswdg3

On 8/18/2018 at 11:28 AM, 101 Ron said:

The next time you look at a Saracen and then a Stalwart with a standard supension ride height, look at the tracta joint angles.

Sarasen is about 15 degrees angle on the rear wheel set and the Stalwart is about 40 degrees unloaded rear wheel set at standard suspension adjustment height.

Stalwart tracta joints work hard.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I am sure we may have discussed this when we met up at Corowa in March. Suspension angle on Stalwarts in comparison with Saracen or Saladin. Both the later vehicles have minimal loads added, so suspension angle is relatively constant. The Stalwart however, is designed for a 5 ton payload, but as we know, practically all of the Stalwarts in private ownership never carry a significant load. so setting the suspension to a similar setting of a Saracen will improve the life of the final drive train and reduce the torque needed to drive them. Years ago when I worked in REME Workshops, I had to do extensive drive line repairs to a Stalwart used by RE for driver training. It was agreed with the unit that we should lower the suspension as they did not carry loads and had been suffering bevel box and tracta joint failures. This solved the problem. I have also done it for a private owner who also had been suffering breakages due to the excessive angle of driveshafts. I did note the heights for each 'axle', (ie Front, Centre, Rear) but it might take a bit of searching to find them.

regards, Richard

6 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Ron,

I am sure we may have discussed this when we met up at Corowa in March. Suspension angle on Stalwarts in comparison with Saracen or Saladin. Both the later vehicles have minimal loads added, so suspension angle is relatively constant. The Stalwart however, is designed for a 5 ton payload, but as we know, practically all of the Stalwarts in private ownership never carry a significant load. so setting the suspension to a similar setting of a Saracen will improve the life of the final drive train and reduce the torque needed to drive them. Years ago when I worked in REME Workshops, I had to do extensive drive line repairs to a Stalwart used by RE for driver training. It was agreed with the unit that we should lower the suspension as they did not carry loads and had been suffering bevel box and tracta joint failures. This solved the problem. I have also done it for a private owner who also had been suffering breakages due to the excessive angle of driveshafts. I did note the heights for each 'axle', (ie Front, Centre, Rear) but it might take a bit of searching to find them.

regards, Richard

Agreed 100 percent and the reason why I placed the words standard suspension height when mentioning the Stalwart.

Ron

Edited by 101 Ron

Sorry to hi jack the thread and good luck to another new Stalwart owner......Dan77

I had these photos I have taken of both Saracen and Stalwart rear RHS wheel stations.

It is interesting to note the differences of the ride heights.

Stalwart below

30323687378_08515424c7.jpgStalwart rear tracta joint angle standard ride ht by john smith, on Flickr

Saracen below

30323687398_96a3d09d1d.jpgSaracen rear tracta joint angle by john smith, on Flickr

Edited by 101 Ron

may be a silly question but.....

why do some stollies have bolts around the cab windows and some not?  Some also have the swim board fittings and some not?   Have these been removed during the life of through refurbishment or are these some variant?

dan

59 minutes ago, Dan77 said:

why do some stollies have bolts around the cab windows and some not?  Some also have the swim board fittings and some not?   Have these been removed during the life of through refurbishment or are these some variant?

dan

Early Mk.2s (and possibly Mk.1s?) have bolted windows, later Mk.2s didn't.  All should have had swim boards, the degree to which they've been removed depends on who did the removing when it was decided that Stollies no longer needed to swim.

Andy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, andym said:

Early Mk.2s (and possibly Mk.1s?) have bolted windows, later Mk.2s didn't.  All should have had swim boards, the degree to which they've been removed depends on who did the removing when it was decided that Stollies no longer needed to swim.

Andy

Thank Andy

• 5 years later...
On 8/22/2018 at 10:55 AM, David Herbert said:

I notice that the lower wishbone is much more substantial on the Saracen, is that standard ?

David

Notes I have from Alvis showed that they had to shave more weight off the Stalwart tare weight, hence the smaller wishbones. Without digging through, I think the metal mix is different as well

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 8:33 PM, Dan77 said:

dan

Alvis occasionally used sub contractors on the Military vehicles, right from the start of the Saladin and Saracen.

The Stalwart cabs with rubber around the glass instead of bolts to hold them in were made by Motor Panels Limited of Coventry, who were literally across the road. Over the years they made cabs for a number of companies, as well as designing their own cab. They produced the Bedford TL cabs for Marshall's made Bedford TLs

The Stalwart cabs with rubber around the windows seem to rust out a lot quicker than the bolted ones made by Alvis