Another DUKW accident

andym

Yes I heard the bit about canopies on the BBC. The real problem is that the vehicles, and they are not boats, are being used for a purpose that they were never intended for.  DUKWs have shown that they can survive rough water, but that is when they were new and well maintained. Time the old girls were retired.

Edited by Tony B

Yes there was a splash board type arrangment. The ones in Jersey that soldiered on for many years from West Park to Elizabeth Castle had the fronts altered at one stage to a V shaped bow. They ran because the access to the Castle is tidal so wheels at low tide amphibious at high. They only ran a few hundred yards in sheltered water but even so it was considered that the bows should be altered for saftey. I'm talking some fifty five years ago now (God, this growing old isn't all it's cracked up to be)

Most of the commercial tourist DUKWs have been greatly changed from the original army design.

diesel motors, only one or two axles driving etc.

one of the  main changes appears to be the Higgins pump usually gets removed as it is high maintance  and replaced with small plastic electric items.

The Higgins pump runs when the propeller turns and is very high output.

What do these commercial operators do for drive shaft seals/belows, as the old new stock would be cracked or melded with age and hard to find.

The hulls for commercial operations usually have been much changed from standard and constantly repaired and patched.

The roof design of the commercial tourist DUKWs has been noted as a trap for people on sinking DUKWs in the past and nothing appears to have been done.

May be the roof should be made from Styrofoam and float off the vehicle if it sinks and also acts as a life raft.

The original design was very sea worthy

Edited by 101 Ron
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 101 Ron said:

Most of the commercial tourist DUKWs have been greatly changed from the original army design.

So, it is a case of the original being well/over engineered to most of the DUKWs now being under engineered.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:31 AM, MatchFuzee said:

I wonder, how many DUKWs sank inWW2 because of the sea conditions and how many were destroyed by enemy action.

I know of only one that went down specifically because of possibly rough water / bad weather , but really the primary cause seems to be over-loading. 24 soldiers with their gear + a 75mm cannon? Wow

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2416371/Italian-Lake-Garda-hold-remains-24-drowned-US-WWII-solders.html

This story in Missouri is especially sad because as someone else mentioned, this just keeps happening. Someone sent that vehicle out into an oncoming storm, and is criminally responsible IMHO.

Edited by draganm

An very interesting link.

I wonder if all the soldiers escaped from the DUKW (if this is not one of the other 2 that sank in the same area) before it sank, with other than the sole survivor they then drowned before rescue arrived.

The DUKW looks in remarkable condition.