WW2 Military Bulldozer

mtskull

Question

A query from a certain Mike Harding (who I am sure some of you have heard of):

"Serious question - any motoring experts out there who know whether WW2 Army Bulldozers 1945 (ish) would have used diesel or petrol? I know it seems daft but I need to know for something I'm writing.

12 answers to this question

The TD International's started on petrol and switched to diesel when warm.

They have a mag and plugs on one side and pump and injectors the other side.

There was a leaver which switched between the mag and the injection pump and shut off part of the head in the combustion chamber.

Peter.

The TD International's started on petrol and switched to diesel when warm.

They have a mag and plugs on one side and pump and injectors the other side.

There was a leaver which switched between the mag and the injection pump and shut off part of the head in the combustion chamber.

Peter.

Interesting to find that this was possible as I thought petrol & diesel engines had significantly different compression ratios, something to read more about when I have time.

I think mixed fuel engines were quite popular at one time - when I was very young in the 1960s my father had a Fordson 1/2 track tractor with a petrol-paraffin engine that used magneto ignition and switched to paraffin/kerosene once it was warm - I seem to remember huge clouds of white smoke and a very vicious starting handle with a habit of trying to whack my dad !

I suppose the idea is that Petrol is easy to cold start but kerosene or diesel are (were?) cheap

Iain

At one time almost all tractors ran on tractor vaporising oil (TVO) and were started on petrol switching over as they warmed up, many still survive in preservation, the majority of the grey Fergies are a typical example.

Interesting to find that this was possible as I thought petrol & diesel engines had significantly different compression ratios, something to read more about when I have time.

They do and to allow the changeover, International incorporated an extra part to the combustion chamber which contained the spark plug. When you pull the lever to switch to diesel, a valve shuts off that extra part increasing the compression ratio. It also turns on the diesel and switches off the magneto. Quite ingenious!

They do and to allow the changeover, International incorporated an extra part to the combustion chamber which contained the spark plug. When you pull the lever to switch to diesel, a valve shuts off that extra part increasing the compression ratio. It also turns on the diesel and switches off the magneto. Quite ingenious!

Thanks for the detail, I did wonder if somehow the capacity / compression ratio was changed rather than simply turning off the spark ignition system.

I knew about tractors in particular being started on petrol then switched to paraffin as cheaper but that the running principle was the same.