Help identifying and valuing a Jeep

mat777

Hi all, A friend of mine is currently in Jaipur where he has stumbled on the remains of a Jeep.

He says: "I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost me to ship it to the UK. Any idea on how much it could be worth? Worst case to best case? If I can reasonably justify the shipping and purchase I might investigate buying it"

Now, first and foremost I can't tell from the picture if it is a Willys, or an Indian copy such as a Mahindra.

Also, I'm afraid I have no idea what a restoration case Jeep would be worth (assuming it is a Willys and thus worth saving). I guess a lot depends on the condition of the mechanicals? At least the hot, dry climate should mean the tinwork will be reasonably sound.

Below are some picture he has sent me. Can anyone help at all please? Thanks!

DKT6ZNi.jpg

Cr8eoqK.jpg

Nxsrm5m.jpg

0oS0Dr5.jpg

The Jeep appears to be an original WW2 type but from the few pics looks to be in pretty poor condition, plenty of rot in the body, and back body corner torn off with the end of the chassis! so I imagine it was worked hard for years before being abandoned, I bet the owner has a very inflated idea of its value, really don't think its feasable to consider shipping it back from India to the UK, Jaipur is a long way from a shipping port and believe it would involve a Lot of paperwork.

There are several UK companies regularly importing much better prospect American sourced WW2 Jeep restoration projects for sale now, all duties paid already here in the UK for sensible money, some even running, look in Ebay or Milweb

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/view_large.php?ad=80449&cat=13

Edited by Nick Johns

I agree with Nick, it's the real deal, but it really is only good for a few parts sadly not worth the cost.

£4.5K to £6.5K will get you a much better bet in the UK in terms a vehicle that will form the basis of a restoration project with a title and documentation for registration after restoration.

It's a sad fact that they can't all be saved :cry:

Pete

From the picture and taking the climate into consideration the tin work looks far from sound . It looks like it has a very hard life , I agree with other post better to find something here or imported from the States.

Even if the Jeep was priced at nothing I can imagine the bureaucracy and shipping costs would far out strip its worth .

I wonder what the state of the back seat is ,usually they are long gone .

This jeep does seem to have some value as a parts donor and parting it out might be the best option indeed. It has a lot of small parts that are usually gone, and it seems it those are combat rims?

Ask your friend to describe the frame crossmember under the grill (round vs. square), and see what markings are on the heads of various bolts. More photo's would help... Any idea what the owner is asking for it?

This jeep does seem to have some value as a parts donor and parting it out might be the best option indeed. It has a lot of small parts that are usually gone, and it seems it those are combat rims?

Ask your friend to describe the frame crossmember under the grill (round vs. square), and see what markings are on the heads of various bolts. More photo's would help... Any idea what the owner is asking for it?

The tub unfortunately looks to be in poor condition and the windscreen and front seats have gone ..it's unclear if the engine and transmission are in the vehicle ...but if I was considering usable parts I think most would be in poor condition....get your pal to buy the Carter carburretor and dials.plus data plates and post them back....the rest I think is rust....

A good general picks battles he can win.

Jenkinov