WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

You are very kind. However, we are just enjoying a completely pointless pastime in the best way we know!

Cheers!

Steve

A chap without a pastime is a pretty poor type of fellow indeed ! Such things are never pointless. Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Colin

Yes it could have been done like that, but it transpired that the method we used was in fact the same method used by Dennis 90 years ago when they fabricated the scuttle. Steve rediscovered it when thinking what would be the best way for us to do that and then a few years later we got a chance to examine an original one and you could see that they had used the same method.

So are you going to post some photos of your Nash Quad on here at some stage? You can demonstrate that WW1 truck ownership is growing.

Tim (too)

For some reason I hadn't seen this before in all the time I've been on this forum.

I've just finished reading this entire section, and I'm amazed at the way in which you've gone about this restoration. The way in which this has been documented is fantastic, especially for someone like myself who has always been fascinated by anything mechanical. Fortunately you have the engineering skills and knowledge to tackle a challenge like this. Restorations like this are only suitable for people such as yourselves, as no average restorer would be capable of such work. You need infinite patience and a considerable knowledge of materials to do work like this, leaving us totally in awe of your workmanship.

Thanks for all your posts so far; fascinating reading, and I for one will be looking forward to future installments. :bow::bow::bow:

Thank you for your kind comments. We are very lucky in having space (never enough), storage, the tools and in Steve and Tony the marvellous skills that makes this all possible. Also it is only because of HMVF that we are able to doccument this whole restoration as we go along in such a readable manner. I am sure that when we take the Dennis to its first show that a few people will nod their heads and say nice restoration, but it is only the people who have read this thread who will ever know what has gone in to it. Looking at my first postings (2006 i think it was) i said that we would be finished by January 2008. Well we had been working on it for two years in 2006 and now it is January 2009 and we have at least another 18 Months on it or so. We will get there.

Tim (too)

Tony has sent me the rest of his photos from his transmission brake assembly fest and as you can see it is mostly self explanatory. Having cleaned and painted the parts we took off last year it was a case of making new pins for everything and reassembling it. Reassembly is of course the most rewarding part.

DSCN9720-1.jpg

DSCN9721-1.jpg

DSCN9725-1.jpg

DSCN9730.jpg

DSCN9726-1.jpg

DSCN9739.jpg

DSCN9727-1.jpg

DSCN9728-1.jpg

DSCN9742-1.jpg

DSCN9743-1.jpg

Brilliant Colin. This is indeed worthy of a thread on its own. I have some photos of other Quads that we should add. Joris can you start up a new pre Ww2 thread for Nash Quad and move Colins photos across.

Thanks

Tim (too)

Done http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?p=125214#post125214

Please start a new threads for other projects, this thread is reserved for Tim's restoration/photos to save any confusion. If I've missed any to move across or anything else that doesn't belong in this thread please let me know...

Thank you..

• 1 month later...

These are new linings, Norman, and we understand Asbestos-free. I think that new linings are made of some kind of cotton and resins but I guess a more knowledgable member of the Forum will be able to tell us more.

You will notice in the photos that the linings had been dampened before I worked on them to keep any dust to a minimum, and I also wore a mask and worked in a well-ventilated area. Best precautions that I could take.

Tony

Edited by Minesweeper
wrong word used

We have had our good set of pedals sand blasted, and they have come up a treat:

DSCN0095.jpg

DSCN0096.jpg

The shaft they came off is not so good though, so we need to get the worn pedals of the good shaft and put the good pedals on it. As everything is stuck up solid, I feel the need for some extreme heat and pressure coming on:

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0098.jpg

Tim (too)

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to spend some time with Tony on the Dennis. We finished off riveting the brake linings to the shoes. I really managed to wack myself across the knuckles with a hammer much to Tonys amusement. Once finished we assembled them and they looked like this

DSCN0104.jpg

We then slid the shoes onto the arms on the back of the gearbox and connected them together.

DSCN0106-1.jpg

DSCN0108.jpg

Then it was a case of starting to put the linkage together.

DSCN0111-1.jpg

Edited by Great War truck