WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

We are actually very fortunate in that the rest of the diff was in the casing so we hope to recover it all. Our problem is that we have no diff for the next project, a Thornycroft 'J- Type' which is not in nearly such good condition as the Dennis. If any of our friends out there, particularly in Oz or New Zealand, should come across a Thornycroft J-Type back axle with differential, we would be extremely pleased to hear about it!

This forum reaches the parts other forums cannot reach! (At least I hope so!).

Cheers!

Steve

Tony has had a go at cleaning the Bearings in the Worm assembly.

The constituents of the Thrust Bearing were very oily and have cleaned up well so that we think that we can use this one again.

DSCN0671.jpg

DSCN0673.jpg

DSCN0674.jpg

DSCN0678.jpg

DSCN0682.jpg

DSCN0684.jpg

The two Worm Journal Bearings were thick with sand and even after cleaning they are still solid. They will have to be replaced. The numbers on them tie up with the numbers in the Parts Manual. Who wants to guess how much replacements will cost?

DSCN0685.jpg

DSCN0686.jpg

DSCN0688.jpg

DSCN0689.jpg

Thanks Norman and Chris, too. I knew that these didn't come cheap! It is possible that Steve may also be able to get them through his work contacts - so it will be case of "exploring the market" for the best price! One of us will let you know what happens!

Tony

Tim, from an engineering point of view does it not seem strange that they used ball bearings to take the radial loads rather than roller bearings, leaving the end thrust to the dedicated thrust bearings?

A good point Mike,

Were taper roller bearings available at this time?

Was it done just because it was easier to change the thrust bearings than main bearings?

Be interesting to get Tim's and other views.

Ball versus roller bearings. Well, I don't know! I have had a chat with my colleagues about this one and we have not reached a firm conclusion although this is the way our thoughts are going at the moment.

With a worm drive axle, the axial loads on the worm are very significant and in both directions as the transmission braking force is through the worm as well. We therefore think that the loads are probably a bit big for taper rollers hence the thrust race and separate radial bearings. Now the radial loads are probably relatively modest, in comparison, but the speed is fairly high, approaching 2000rpm, for which ball races are better suited so that might be the reason they were selected. The other point made was that it might be easier to automatically mass-produce ball bearings rather than rollers so they were just easier to get at the time.

I have the draughtsman's name but he will be long dead so I guess we will never know for certain. I should be pleased to hear any other theories!

Steve

Tony has been very busy today working on the worm. Sorry if you are on dial up as all these pictures will take an age to load, but i hope you find them interesting.

These three pictures show the Worm Shaft Thrust Bearing Adjusting Ring - before and after the paraffin Bath.

DSCN0691.jpg

DSCN0708.jpg

DSCN0709.jpg

This Group show the Worm Shaft Coupling Sleeve - again before and after the Paraffin Bath.

One end of this has been open to the elements over the years and consequently the splines at that end are badly rotted. This will have to be replaced with a new one - but it might be just too much of a challenge for the home workshop! We shall see!

DSCN0692.jpg

DSCN0693.jpg

DSCN0704.jpg

DSCN0706.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

The first picture shows the Worm straight out of the Bath - all sand and grease removed.

The remainder of the pictures show close-ups of parts of the worm after some light cleaning. These show the pitting in the worm which causes concern. Hopefully we will get away without having to make a new one.

There also seems to be some "grooving" at the bottoms of the thread channels in some places.

Although we have not yet touched the worm-wheel, we know that to be quite worn.

DSCN0715.jpg

DSCN0721.jpg

DSCN0725.jpg

DSCN0726.jpg

DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0729-1.jpg

DSCN0730.jpg

Steve, Tim, Tony,

Great job. Is that an oil scoop on the splined worm shaft coupler? It seems very Dennis.

The bearing set-up was proven on the early axles (from 1904) at which point Timkin had only been in business selling his bearings for five years, so they may have been a little new at time.

Keep up the good work,

Ben

As someone who is attempting to restore their first veteran truck (a 1908 civilian Dennis 3 ton) I have great respect for this team. You have to start with an incredible amount of research to work out what the missing parts should be and have immense patience to wait for them to turn up. Very few parts can be bought off the shelf and you end up making virtually every nut and bolt if you want things to be to the original pattern. You need sound engineering skills or very deep pockets (and probably both ideally) along with thousands of hours.

The part I have found most difficult is deciding what to rescue, and what to leave where it is (even if that does risk it getting scrapped).

The engineering challenge is however what makes it all worth while in my opinion. If you like to reverse engineer parts, learn disappearing crafts and don’t like sitting in front of the TV of an evening then this is the hobby for you.

Ben

With so much time having passed, then the later you start off trying to put one of these trucks together then the more difficult it will prove to be - there are only so many parts left now after the passage of so many years, and it will become even more difficult to find them as time goes on again. I know that you are finding this and I can only commend you for your persistance and dedication in the hunt!

We will help in any way that we can - and you know that we have a spare Subsidy Lorry Chassis here if you do eventually decide to go down that road! It is yours just for the asking! Congratulations in what you have achieved and I am sure that Readers here will be interested to know what you have acquired and how it came to be!

Tony

Congratulations in what you have achieved and I am sure that Readers here will be interested to know what you have acquired and how it came to be!

Hi Ben,

Please tell us all about your new project in a new thread..

Cheers Lee