CAN any one ID this . WW1

Morris C8

The American Expeditionary Force acquired a number of Austin twin shafts in 1917. I wonder if these were left over from the Russian order?

I'm not sure how many of the 'Russian Order' were actually built by Austin, Tim. I suspect very few. However the AEF would have arranged their lorries through the War Office/Ministry of Munitions, not Austin directly. As with the Russian order, Austin had the capacity, so it would make sense that the War Office would have used that capacity for the Americans. Much would depend on dates, as to whether the Americans got their lorries before or after the Russian order was placed and subsequently cancelled.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would agree with it being French: -the shading of the roundels corresponds with b&w photos of known French aircraft, assuming that the wings in the background do actually belong to the fuselage on the trailer.

This one has, so far, defied my attempts to identify the type, although it definitely is not the same as the aircraft in the second photo, which I am pretty sure is a Sopwith one-and-a-half strutter (British made, but also supplied to the French).

One clue is that there appear to be at least three undercarriage wheels, plus a further tyre, which might suggest a larger, possibly twin-engined aircraft.

Edited by mtskull

• 2 weeks later...
And This:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94792[/ATTACH]

Moving floor body for?

Almost certainly roadstone. 10,000 tons of roadstone was used daily just to keep up with the wear and tear on the roads. As Northern France & Flanders isn't suitable for roadstone, all of it had to be imported from UK, Guernsey and southern & mid France. Royal Engineers were responsible for the upkeep of the roads with Labour Corps Coys and ASC Coys attached to them.

From Motor Traction 19 December 1917 and 20 February 1918:

Hallford - Wilkins patent unloading gear 1.jpg

Hallford - Wilkins patent unloading gear 2.jpg

Yes, a Hallford with moveable floor! The Wilkins patent unloading gear was said to have been available through the UK's sole concessionaires Messrs Drake and Gorham Ltd of 66 Victoria Street, Westminster, London.

Is it easier to control the outflow of aggregate when you are building a road?

The yanks certainly used tippers during WW1 (Mack) and I see in Barts book a photo of a WD Halley tipper but that is the only one of those I have ever seen.

Theres a Sentinel 'Super' or 'DG' (i can remember shich it is) steam waggon about that had one of them fitted when new. I seem to remember that it was ex Callow Rock in Somerset.

I suspect the truth was that the walking floor apparatus was probably cheaper than a tipper.

Why on earth was that a better device than a tipper?

The articles I mentioned previously suggest the advantage was 'perfect rigidity and a bigger load capacity' than possible with tipping gear of the day - no doubt the line peddled by the concessionaires.

The observant amongst you will have noticed that the second scan in my previous was a 5-tonner. It was probably a Foden steam waggon. Here's a Clayton version (apologies for the poor quality):

Clayton - Wilkins patent unloading gear.jpg

• 2 months later...