" The 40mm Machine Gun "

• 1 month later...
The guy says it is the largest caliber gun you can keep live as a civilian "in Russia".

I think I need to move to Russia !

A section five is required over here but not many people have one.

Rob..................rnixartillery.

That guns not in russia, its in Tennessee USA and belongs to a friend of mine. He's had it at the SAR show in Phoenix. I watched him rebuild it over the last few years and its a beauty. It is a registered machinegun here in the US and legal to own and fire. Here is a link to a site showing some of the rebuild.

Everything works great.

http://www.ordnance.com/

Frank

Interesting to see how wide the spread of rounds was.

I did training on Bofors at HMS Cambridge back in the 1970s when they were still fitted to HM ships as AA defence. I rapidly came to the conclusion you couldn't hit a flying barn door!

Andy

I did training on Bofors at HMS Cambridge back in the 1970s when they were still fitted to HM ships as AA defence. I rapidly came to the conclusion you couldn't hit a flying barn door!

Andy

yeah it did spread the shot about in some order didn't it.!....

.and the fella's target on the other side of that lake wasn't that far away in real terms was it?..

..so Gawd knows what the spread would be like if you were shooting at maybe a plane/helicopter that was a couple of thousand feet up...(and moving at some kinda speed too!)

the one thing I always find it hard to do is calculate 'distance' ...so for anyone better at it than me ...

how far away (roughly) was his target? 1000 yards? ish? more?...so ..what did the manual say was the 'effective range' for a Bofors?.....