i may very well be stupid

c101 comando

Question

They would have had my Antar and Dyson there many times if they hadn't asked me to pay an entry fee. They are plain greedy, and I am proud to say I have never been, and never will be going. The W and PO show typifies what is wrong with rallies. Rallies are only possibble because the exhibitors want to be there, and turn up. W and P do all they can to make sure as few as possible turn up, they ought to be making attendance as attractive as possible.

Edited by antarmike

I completely agree with you Mike, I have called it War and Fleece for years but the defence people who go put up is ' Oh it's my holiday and where do you get camping as cheap'.

I suppose camp sites are dearer but they have proper facilities not the shambles that exists at Beltring and I fail to see why people put up with being charged to take vehicles to then be put on show to the public who pay extortionate prices to see them. There was a very good letter in Windscreen a couple of years ago by a clever chap who had worked out the likely profit based on Rex Cadmans own published figures, that was a real eye opener to put it mildly.

On a slightly different note I think the future lies with events such as the Stevens brothers have either organised or been involved with such as Bolero and Route to Victory and more recently Jack's A and E. These events have been organised by enthusiasts for enthusiasts without thought of profit and have been hugely successful for vehicle owners and reenactors

and very well received by the general public who have been both entertained and educated.

This type of event is definitely the future and I believe they will take over from the dinosaur that is War and Fleece.

This is one of the reasons why i'm not going to w&p this year. people taking the p_ SS charging people to exhibit there vehicles and charging people crazy money to camp.

Its about time people got together and said to these people, if you want my vehicle here fine, but i'm not paying for the privelage, when your making **** loads of money on the gate.

Clive

I really don't see the problem with paying to visit an event, it's very common in the Netherlands. After all you _are_ using facilities, a piece of land to put your tent on and are only there because somebody else put the time and effort in it to organise the event?

Like I said I really don't get it, but I do get Antars point; it's a free country, if you don't like it then don't go!

By the way, every year we have this topic... :nut:

It's increasingly common to charge in the UK, and there's an increasing division between the old, traditional shows - many of which have evolved or been based on little local rallies and fetes - and the big commercial shows.

To a certain extent I agree, exhibitors are using land and facilities and these do cost money; and clearly exhibitors get something from the show or they would not attend. On the other hand, it costs exhibitors an often considerable amount of money to get their exhibits there, display them and parade them; this makes a substantial free contribution to the success of the show and is worth a significant amount to the organisers in revenue on the gate.

To my mind there should be a quid pro quo here; exhibitors make a contribution in getting their vehicles there and putting on a show, and in return they get free entry and camping; organisers provide for exhibitors f.o.c., and in return get a good show and high revenue at the gate.

It's interesting that many of the big commercial shows that seem to be least complained about and most enjoyable from the exhibitors' point of view are those that allow exhibitors free or heavily discounted entry and camping.

It's true that without the vehicles a show cannot be a success but I myself do not go to a show to make the show a success. That's a bonus! I go to a show to have a good time and enjoy myself. The cost of this will be fuel + food + entrance and usually one or more days off from work too.

A show with only 2 vehicles can be a huge success for me but not for the organisers, and the other way around too. I can go to W&P and have a miserable time even though the show is a success for the organisers.

We have to keep in mind why we go to shows, for fun, for ourselves.

To back up what Joris says. The main thing is fun, but most shows have a rating amongst us. I would go to the show where I know the other exhibitors. So if an orginiser makes it attractive for us to go, the reputation should be good, and we keep going back. If the great unwashed then get a good day out, they come back. result all happy.

I have always noticed a huge difference in the 'atmosphere' between commercial shows and those organised by enthusiasts which in my opinion are much more relaxed and enjoyable.

I have no problem with paying for food and facilities at an event such as A&E where there is no commercial involvement. What do others think about this?

I think its fair to say when the show starts to charge, the quality of the vehicles goes down.

I paid last year to book in war and peace, after a 19 hour trip down in the bedford (two breakdowns), £100+ in fuel, to arrive at the booking in tent to be told we don't have any entrant packs, i was to tired to argue, then was made to sit in the rain for 20 mins before i could get in (no fun in a open cab) I'd got wet enough coming round the M25. Put my tent up around someone's car transporter trailer, which they wouldn't move (like i'm sure this shouldn't be on the showground). Went to the toilet to freshen up and there was no water, brilliant, I won't be taking a truck again, even if they paid me!!!! I'll just go in my car and pay on the gate, or next time wear some camo pants and get in free!!!!

Edited by rippo

I don't agree that you should pay to exhibit, fair enough there are costs to the organisers, such as public liability and toilets etc, but to be honest where do they get their prices from at W & P? I've never been, but won't go now reading the previous posts. The militants does about 8mpg, I go to events and don't expect a penny in return, and this is probably the nearest I've ever come to complaining, but it seems to me that there are some who are willing to exploit us to further their own ends.

I went to Ponderosa a few weekends ago, many didn't bother to turn up, well frankly they missed out, no charge to enter, excellent facilities, clean toilets, free food. If it can be done there when the profits are going to charity, how come larger events are seeking to charge so much, particulalrly when the number of paying visitors through the gate is more certain?

I don't agree that you should pay to exhibit, fair enough there are costs to the organisers, such as public liability and toilets etc, but to be honest where do they get their prices from at W & P? I've never been, but won't go now reading the previous posts. The militants does about 8mpg, I go to events and don't expect a penny in return, and this is probably the nearest I've ever come to complaining, but it seems to me that there are some who are willing to exploit us to further their own ends.

I went to Ponderosa a few weekends ago, many didn't bother to turn up, well frankly they missed out, no charge to enter, excellent facilities, clean toilets, free food. If it can be done there when the profits are going to charity, how come larger events are seeking to charge so much, particulalrly when the number of paying visitors through the gate is more certain?

The short answer to your question is greed. In the words of the old song....Money is the root of all evil.

Erm...ahem

At this point I have to confess I am still going (although there is no way I'm paying £140 for one night).

Way I figure it I simply have to go at least once....

I'm with you timbo. I went so I have seen the event once and very glad I did. May go again we will see.

On another note this part of the world I live in, none profit, for us, free events have gone through lack of support much to my dismay. Because of the display myself and mates are now happy to go to events where we may be the only military and have a great time and loads of interest from Joe public. A few weeks ago we did a event where on the Sunday three of us were there and we had about three acres to display in!

Any one in the Midlands got 100 plus acres we could use for free?

It Depends, BOAR in Belgium, it used to be 15 euro for the week. That paid rental for the site and any local tax. No public just vehicles owners, and it was GREAT!! So paying isn't nesacarily a bad thing.
Hi Tony I'm with you, paid £3 for a local event near me and ended up with my .50cal on a M63 mount for a price that has left folks jibbering, all because not many M.V. there, and loads of attractions all weekend for the Joe public and 'us' in a fantastic setting.

Andy.

OK I just got back but this isn't a show review thread so without going into too much detail, the standard of the vehicles was amazing (4 dragon wagons in convoy - how many shows have that ?!). If I'd gone as a member of the public it would have cost me £140 which would not have been worth it, but I didn't so it was OK.

Personally I agree with all the stuff about paying to enter shows but I'll probably go back next year with a vehicle or two, but will only make an exception for this one show..

Having got round most of it in the one day, seen some stuff in the arena, visited a few stalls and then had a five hour drive home I'm now going to nurse my aching feet and go to sleep..

Private organisers arrange these events to make money.

We took the 439 to the Trowbridge 'Armed forces and veterans Day' on June 26/27th, organised by Trowbridge Town Council I believe. The local MVT(?) chap came along, asked the owners name and come back later, asking me to be at a certain place at a given time. I went and was given an envelope - 'Towards fuel costs'

We were 'Gobsmacked'. I don't know where the money came from, there was no entrance fee. Didn't feel right somehow,when we got back we decided to donate it to the local British Legion Branch.

If I had been 'on the ball' I would have handed it over to the Help for Heroes tent. (We had a 'H for H' bucket on the vehicle, so feel we did 'something')