Early guy ant 15cwt

early british ww2

I am on the look out for as much information as possible about the early guy ant 15cwts - any production data for all guy ants would be useful .

I could do with as many pictures as possible of the early ant g.s. 15cwt variants or indeed factory drawings or copies of , if they are available . Any information would be greatly appreciated .

Also could do with a few key parts (early rear cab panel , aeroscreen bases , bakelite hand throttle control knob etc) or leads onto possible donor vehicles / parts - again pictures would be good !!

Also interested in any data / paperwork for the Guy Ant Production figures with chassis numbers , census numbers and order numbers - Any to do with Guy Ants really!!

Cheers

Edited by early british ww2
added more detail

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy was bought by Jaguar, so there may be stuff in their archives: http://www.jdht.com/html/Trust/services/archives.html

I think it then went to British Leyland, so you could try the Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon: http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/

At one time Pete Gaine had various Guy bits. I'd be very surprised if he still has them - from memory he was going to scrap them unless someone took them away. He may remember where they went though.

Guy was bought by Jaguar, so there may be stuff in their archives: http://www.jdht.com/html/Trust/services/archives.html

I think it then went to British Leyland, so you could try the Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon: http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/

At one time Pete Gaine had various Guy bits. I'd be very surprised if he still has them - from memory he was going to scrap them unless someone took them away. He may remember where they went though.

Many Thanks for your reply - Jaguar did have some bits and pieces on the Generalised History of Guy Motors , but unfortunately they never have much for any Military types produced during the last war and Gaydon doesn't really have anything - They are both always worth a try when researching any vehicles History although Gaydon mailnly deals with cars and car based commercials . I did manage to research the History of my Guy Ant wireless truck but have never really managed to get any good material about the earlier Guy Ants especially the Aeroscreen types .

I did know about the Guy bits that Pete Gaine had thanks , but they were unfortunately mainly for the Quad Ants which although some components are the same , the bits pete had were for the 4x4 with larger wheels and different axles . To which end I think these will have been weighed in long ago now But please keep mentioning these bits and bobs as you never know we may eventually strike gold as they are such an odd ball vehicle with there cable brakes and Meadows engine etc - Speaking of which does anyone on here own the G.S. Variant restored a few years ago on the isle of wight ??

Speaking of which does anyone on here own the G.S. Variant restored a few years ago on the isle of wight ??

Glynn,

Just yesterday I was taking to the father of the owner of the IOW GS truck, the son is a very knowledgeable military Guy enthusiast. I live not far from them, and could probably make contact if you need me to

Here is a Guy Ant that was at W&P this year. According to the information sheets it was fitted with a full cab as it was originally destined for Norway ( I think ), and was originally fitted with a Wireless body

Many thanks Richard - Must have missed this one at w&p this year - I wonder if this is the sister ship to my own Guy Ant Wireless truck as that was a tin top whereas mine is the soft top version - Tell tale sign of a Guy wireless truck is the peaked bonnet - G.S versions etc were flat .

If it is the one I knew of , it was sold on e-bay about a year or so ago as a partly dismantled project - Many thanks for the photo Rgds Glynn

Some web links:

Guy Ant Radio (ex Eddie Smith, I seem to remember): http://www.military39-45.freeuk.com/update03/pres005.htm

Another Radio bodied Ant: http://www.armyvehicles.dk/guyant.htm

Quad-Ant: http://www.armyvehicles.dk/guyquadant.htm

Many Thanks - The first pictures are of my own Wireless truck taken at a show here in the North West many moons ago

Glynn,

Just yesterday I was taking to the father of the owner of the IOW GS truck, the son is a very knowledgeable military Guy enthusiast. I live not far from them, and could probably make contact if you need me to

Glynn,

PM sent.

Cheers

G506

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi , Not seen this one before - When and where were these photo's taken ? - Does anyone know where this one is nowadays and if it still exists ???:coffee:

The DVLA vehicle enquiry website shows 229EBK as being unlicensed since November 1988.

So if it is still out there it hasn't been on the road for over 20 years.

The DVLA vehicle enquiry website shows 229EBK as being unlicensed since November 1988.

So if it is still out there it hasn't been on the road for over 20 years.

Hi - Yes I have seen that one also as it was on the road from 1982 to 1988 and hasn't been taxed or sorn since and looking at the photo's appeared to be a bonny motor - Can anyone shed any light on where this one resided and if it is in a collection somewhere??

Glynn has asked me for some more photos of 229EBK, so here we go:

Many thanks for posting the extra photo's - This vehicle is a very bonny original looking example which is probably a contract or so earlier than my 1940 example . Surely someone must remeber this one as it is quite distinctive - I would love to see this one in the flesh if only to take some pictures of to help with my own project so that I can compare notes so to speak - pm if you like but any info will be greatly appreciated:coffee:

revious owner largest store of parts.

its just getting a touch up now but i got it fully restored, to be honest I am loving it but don't know too much about it........ would love to know where to get a replacement rotor for the distributor ?

we use it for Airsoft wargames here in New Zealand, it served in NZ 1942

100_0539..jpg

truckslideshow..JPG

guyant1942..jpg

100_0536..jpg

Look what you done again Glynn :laugh:, just like the morris's their turning up all over now. Don't be sticking picture's of your bedford up.

Very nice looking truck kiwi.

Yeah , Thanks a lot Alex !! Ha ha - I think I might go into hiding or take up a different collection as I appear to have some sort of weird midas touch !! Wish I could do the same with £20 notes but all i'd end up with is Bills to pay !! Lol !!

On a more serious note - Keep the pics coming fellas It is great to see that there are more people out there with a good taste in early british 15cwts:coffee: