Early guy ant 15cwt

early british ww2

Well a long time ago, but it had all been kept up together for many years as we have seen the pics, but sadly as with a lot of stuff owners ither become ill or old but cant bare to part with things, we will post some more pics of the recovery of both of them over the next week.

Edited by Bartron

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Brent,

I think you are refering to the Autovac, a fuel pumping system, Morris Commercial used a similar apparatus on their military vehicles at the time.

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard,any leads on were I could purchase one? Sorry "mods" for asking on this thread but it only seems logical as its relevant! (with respect)

Thanks Richard,any leads on were I could purchase one? Sorry "mods" for asking on this thread but it only seems logical as its relevant! (with respect)

Hi Brent,

Not seen any Autovacs around lately, but knowing it fits other vehicles, widens the area of search for you. No problem posting this here as it is all related, but you could put a specific post in the Wanted section as well.

regards, Richard

Thanks for your reply, I am unfamiliar with these devices and any help is greatly appreciated!

Let me have a dig this Week End I should have some printed info as my Morris runs on one still. Its a basicly simple design that uses athe vacume from the exhaust to draw fuel into a container then pulls it to the carburator I was told the only thing besides blockage that could go wrong with one is a puncture in the float.

Let me have a dig this Week End I should have some printed info as my Morris runs on one still. Its a basicly simple design that uses athe vacume from the exhaust to draw fuel into a container then pulls it to the carburator I was told the only thing besides blockage that could go wrong with one is a puncture in the float.

Cool, I have no manuals at all on the "Ant" so any help always appreciated.

Hi Brent,

the Autovac listed for sale should work but it is not quite the same as would have been fitted to your Wireless-Ant, the top is different in that the vent had a brass, bell-shaped cover. It does have the mounting brackets as well, which you may need.

The Autovac is a simple device, it is a double-chambered cylinder, with a float in the upper chamber, more on the float later. The vacuum from the manifold connects to one of the top elbows, the other elbow marked "IN" is the petrol line from the tank selector and filter. There is a shut-off tap at the bottom of the Autovac, which feeds the carburettor, this must be turned off when the engine is shut down. Feed to the carburettor is by gravity.

Petrol is drawn into the Autovac and enters the top chamber where it passes though a non-return flap into the lower chamber, then feeds out through the tap. When the lower chamber has filled, the upper chamber starts filling-up, as it does the float rises and begins to open the vent thereby reducing the vacuum until no fuel is being drawn in. As the fuel is drawn down the float lowers and shuts the vent and again fuel is drawn into the top chamber.

There is also a drain bung in the base of the Autovac this is for cleaning out condensation and etc. this must be done periodically else it will rust through.

There are a couple of ways to prime the Autovac should it run dry:

1. By the manual - shut off the tap at the bottom of the Autovac, remove the the carburettor bowl fill it manually, replace and start the engine. Repeat until fuel is evident in the lower chamber.

2. My method - shut off the tap at the bottom of the Autovac. Undo the "IN" pipe and move it slightly to the side, using a short section of rubber hose that will slip over the elbow, feed in petrol. I always carried spare petrol in a reserve tin, a rubber tube and a small pourer.

3. Tow start with the fuel shut-off tap open.

Hope this explains sufficiently how the autovac works.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Brent,

the Autovac listed for sale should work but it is not quite the same as would have been fitted to your Wireless-Ant, the top is different in that the vent had a brass, bell-shaped cover. It does have the mounting brackets as well, which you may need.

The Autovac is a simple device, it is a double-chambered cylinder, with a float in the upper chamber, more on the float later. The vacuum from the manifold connects to one of the top elbows, the other elbow marked "IN" is the petrol line from the tank selector and filter. There is a shut-off tap at the bottom of the Autovac, which feeds the carburettor, this must be turned off when the engine is shut down. Feed to the carburettor is by gravity.

Petrol is drawn into the Autovac and enters the top chamber where it passes though a non-return flap into the lower chamber, then feeds out through the tap. When the lower chamber has filled, the upper chamber starts filling-up, as it does the float rises and begins to open the vent thereby reducing the vacuum until no fuel is being drawn in. As the fuel is drawn down the float lowers and shuts the vent and again fuel is drawn into the top chamber.

There is also a drain bung in the base of the Autovac this is for cleaning out condensation and etc. this must be done periodically else it will rust through.

1. By the manual - shut off the tap at the bottom of the Autovac, remove the the carburettor bowl fill it manually, replace and start the engine. Repeat until fuel is evident in the lower chamber.

2. My method - shut off the tap at the bottom of the Autovac. Undo the "IN" pipe and move it slightly to the side, using a short section of rubber hose that will slip over the elbow, feed in petrol. I always carried spare petrol in a reserve tin, a rubber tube and a small pourer.

Cheers,

Dave

Nice description Dave ! and a good memory ! - The Autovac in my wireless Ant has a brass top to the Autovac and does have a brass bell type relief valve as you have described but there are some small variations in individual units The one in the link is identical to the one fitted to my 1940 Morris Commercial CS8 which has an alloy top and small relief valve - This will definitely fit and work on the guy which is far better than just fitting an SU fuel pump from a Morris Minor like I have seen before .

On the priming side , to help the autovac you can always hide a small solid state facet fuel pump between your usual tank and the autovac and hide a small toggle switch so you can use it to prime the autovac which you can hear filling as it makes a glugging sound - You must remember however , to turn off the toggle switch when it is full or you will flood the system and your truck with excess petrol ! which at todays prices you won't do very often before you learn your lesson !! - This set up will also help with fuel vapourisation which the Guys are very prone to , especially if running an original fuel pipe set up as they can get warm esp in the summer months ... At the end of the day the choice is yours

Brent , I will try and get some pics of the Wireless Ant's autovac but the one in the link will do your job perfectly well .

If you are struggling to get a manual I can see if I can get mine copied if you like ? just let me know - Do you have any spare round tanks or filler neck/tops for the ants I am in need of two for my 1940 gs Ant cheers Glynn

Hi Brent,

Cheers,

Dave

Thank-you David, that is a good description and explanation.

Nice description Dave ! and a good memory ! - The Autovac in my wireless Ant has a brass top to the Autovac and does have a brass bell type relief valve as you have described but there are some small variations in individual units The one in the link is identical to the one fitted to my 1940 Morris Commercial CS8 which has an alloy top and small relief valve - This will definitely fit and work on the guy which is far better than just fitting an SU fuel pump from a Morris Minor like I have seen before .

On the priming side , to help the autovac you can always hide a small solid state facet fuel pump between your usual tank and the autovac and hide a small toggle switch so you can use it to prime the autovac which you can hear filling as it makes a glugging sound - You must remember however , to turn off the toggle switch when it is full or you will flood the system and your truck with excess petrol ! which at todays prices you won't do very often before you learn your lesson !! - This set up will also help with fuel vapourisation which the Guys are very prone to , especially if running an original fuel pipe set up as they can get warm esp in the summer months ... At the end of the day the choice is yours

Brent , I will try and get some pics of the Wireless Ant's autovac but the one in the link will do your job perfectly well .

If you are struggling to get a manual I can see if I can get mine copied if you like ? just let me know - Do you have any spare round tanks or filler neck/tops for the ants I am in need of two for my 1940 gs Ant cheers Glynn

Hi Glynn, I was thinking a long the lines of an electric fuel pump as a temporary measure to get it going, but thats after I un-seize the engine. Thank-you for your offer to copy your workshop manual, and I may will take you up on the offer if I can't find any thing local. As for spares, I am sorry to say that the only fuel tanks are on my truck and, as I mentioned in another post my father cut a truck up approx 30 years ago, as he seemed to think he never had enough parts to do anything with that truck. If only!!