Scammell Pioneer Rolling Rebuild

Hi all, I have put down the deposit on my first scammell :-D I should take collection at the end of May so there won't be too many pics for a couple of weeks. However in the mean time I was hoping that I could gather some help and opinions from you good people.

Questions/Thoughts at this point in time would be as follows:

1) What have I bought?! Is this is a SV1S/SV2S? Can anyone tell from the pictures :confused:

2) Where do I start! I'd like this to be a rolling restoration as much as possible, I was thinking of removing the 'aftermarket' back body and re-instating the wooden lockers. What colour should it be painted etc etc? Any opinions appreciated.

3) It doesnt have a number plate! although with it having been used for recovery work I presume at some point it was registered? All I know is that it was used by 'rutherfords of coldstream' in the borders for a while, does anyone know its history?

4) Military registration is 34 YZ 09 and chassis number 6002. Do these mean anything to anyone?!

5) I had a thought that might help other owners, I'm quite handy with autocad and was thinking of producing drawings of all the parts I have to fabricate such as the cab panels and rear lockers/woodwork. I would share this info as pdf's and dwg drawing files. From this file any good metal fabricator could laser/water/plasma cut a set of panels out for the cab, should be quite cheap to have done. Good idea?

Anyhow, on with the pictures:

Scammell1.jpg

IMGP0069.jpgIMGP0070.jpgIMGP0079.jpgIMGP0077.jpgIMGP0084.jpgInterior.jpg

so you what do you think?! Has anyone wet themself with laughter? :rofl:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The British Commercials Museum in Leyland is one of a number of places that may be able to give you a brief history of your Scammell's time in the military.

They charge about £15 and will need the WD Reg.No.

http://bcvm.co.uk/

Where to start with the restoration is a very personal thing, and other people will no doubt have other ideas, but I always begin by jacking the vehicle up and removing the wheels so that at least you can see what you are doing. I also find it helpful to focus on one job at a time rather than pull the whole vehicle apart and end up with a huge pile of intimidating bits. I've found that if one does the cab first, while completely ignoring the rest of vehicle, and restore the cab to almost a finished standard, you at least will have something to look at and inspire you when the going gets tough, as it will, when tackling other jobs. The other reason for doing the cab first is that this can often be the most problematical part of the project and you will need all the enthusiasm you can muster to tackle it. Enthusiasm is a quality that is more abundant at the very beginning of a job than at the end as you will already know. Good luck.

I couldn't have put it better myself 6X6, exactly the way I worked with mine, I did the cab first then took all the wheels off did all the brakes etc.but always made sure it was still usable after that, doing little bits at a time, Best to keep it rolling if you don't want to loose momentum. Bit like the forth bridge on wheels!

Great advice guys, thanks! I think this is a good approach, too many projects get abandoned once reduced to a pile of bits. We have a busy year ahead rebuilding an old farm so keeping it running if definitely the way to go.

Niels, this is indeed one of the two in Monte's transport spares. The other one is a far better bet than my one, but then I never take the easy route with anything! I chose to save the unloved one :cry:

Niels, this is indeed one of the two in Monte's transport spares. The other one is a far better bet than my one, but then I never take the easy route with anything! I chose to save the unloved one :cry:

you are doing good thing then, we must keep these lovely truck running.

but the other one is in good condition ? because I am thinking about buying it, I just have to get transport of it to Denmark sorted out first.

Cheers Niels

Hi Niels,

The other one is OK, it needs the window area rebuilt and some attention to the cab. The rear bodywork is good and the engine started beautifully! I'd say that it was a much better bet than mine, but then it wasn't in danger of being broken up. If you PM me with your email address I shall send over some pictures that I took of it last week.

Madrat,

What you have is an SV2S, the SV1S was produced in small numbers and the majority were converted to 2S spec on rebuild. Your vehicle looks quite original with the exception of the rear locker work, there are a few hard to find items on the vehicle including windscreen, engine sides and original seat frames.

Is she a runner? we (brother, father and I) are currently doing a ground up on a 42 SV2S and are going to have to give the engine more attention than we would have liked as it has low oil pressure when hot. I think for us the frustration when we started was that the rust just wouldnt go, so the decison to strip, blast and paint everything was taken.

Looking forward to seeing progress

Hello , a lovely project ! The advice given by the previous messages is very good and if you can keep her mobile it will be a huge morale booster ! I chose the complete removal of parts method on my Explorer and although it makes some jobs much easier due to access you do get bogged down ! Keep up the good work and keep us posted ! These sites can be very usefull for sourcing parts and info : http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Scammell/photos/browse/469d http://www.milweb.net/home.php http://www.scammellregister.co.uk/index.htm Good luck Andy F. PS. If you get a minute stick a picture or two in the Pioneer gallery thread please !

Edited by AndyFowler

Thanks for the input guys, at least now I know which model I have! I have contacted the British Commercials Museum, lets hope they can help with some information.

The seller unfortunately removed the N/S engine cover the add value to the other scammell he has for sale :cry: Looks like they could be fabricated although a bit tricky.

I haven't heard it run although I understand it is a runner! On the day we bought it we ran out of time although we were close to getting it to go (We had started motor issues) the oil pressure gauge is broken, is there somewhere that a gauge could be temporally fitted to check the oil pressure?

Thanks for all the comments!

The seller unfortunately removed the N/S engine cover the add value to the other scammell he has for sale :cry: Looks like they could be fabricated although a bit tricky.

After you have fabricated a perfect replica side cover, it should be distressed to look right, the correct and easiest way is to leave it on the ground and drive over it.

However in your case perhaps this job should be left to your 101 as he will be upset at the huge cuckoo in the nest and would relish the chance to get even! Best if you pretend not to see him doing it and then act really baffled and annoyed!

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening everyone! I was fortunate enough to be in Newcastle on business on Friday morning and took the chance to visit my new toy a few days before the uplift.

She had not run in 10 years and the last time I was down the starter was playing up and we ran out of time. This time however I wasn't in such a rush so out came the starter for some attention. Found the solenoid was knackered so it was changed and the starter re-fitted.

Checked fuel, oil and water and were ready for a try! Primed and bled the fuel system and checked the accelerator linkage thing was loose. Set the cold start and jammed a screwdriver across the starter/solenoid terminals....

To my surprise she fired up instantly, I don't think she even turned over a complete cycle before firing! I excitedly took a picture of the smoking exhaust :-D

smoke.jpg

I'll be honest I don't have any idea what these engines are supposed to sound like, but to me it was sweet as a nut! Let her idle for a few minutes. The gauges are all smashed and rusted out however the remains of the oil pressure gauge was sitting at around 10 psi at idle, there isn't much left of it so I have no idea how accurate it would be! The air system pumped up nicely and I was able to put some air in the flat tyres!

Thought we would see if she moved, the clutch is stupidly heavy (About 10 times heavier than the other pioneer in the yard) it can be operated by two feet :cool2: unfortunately it is stuck and wouldn't let us get it into gear. When there is more space around the Scammell it will be easier/safer to try and sort.

Used an entire can of WD40 getting the brake linkages to free off, everything is now free at the back but the pedal still feels solid. I saw the air solenoid thing but didn't want to mess about with it, what with me 'not having a clue' what I'm doing yet!

Noticed diesel leaks on one of the the two filters and also on a flexi pipe on the engine, also noticed a water leak from the head (I am led to believe there are rubber 'o' rings in there?) so I guess a gasket change/de-coke will be in order!

Some pictures attached for your amusement :rofl: should be back in deepest Ayrshire next week so watch this space! Sorry for the odd pictures sizes, don't know what going on there either!:argh:

scammell1.jpg

scammell2.jpg

scammell4.jpg

scammell6.jpg

scammell7.jpg

Thanks Andy! She obviously appreciates my attempt to save her from the gas axe :-D I've been working crazy hours lately and it was great to get away from it all and tinker away with her, best day I've had in ages!

hello madrat dont know if this is of interest to u but the exeplorer i went to look at in doncaster had a pioneer drivers side engine cover hung on it to keep the weather out . the owener sed he got it from a scrap yard .

012-2.jpg

the colour is a gd mach ... it coulandt be from yours . could it ?

It is a good match! The one which is missing off mine was taken and put on the other pioneer they are selling. They wouldn't sell it back to me (At any cost! :argh: lol) it was mentioned that a pioneer cover went missing in the night once :nono:

I've figured out the solution though, I just need to make the engine look that good that there is no need for the covers!

How did you get on with the explorer?

put it this way i was close cash was in pocket at the time

needs cab and body work and some engine work which sadly is a little to much for me to haddle at the mo as at the mo ime limeted for space for majour rebuilds i

ime off to to war and peac this year aswel as dorset so i can feed my craveing for exeplorers :cool2:

nice to here yours started well

MadRat, thank very much for posting this very interesting update. It's hard to believe that the engine cover in younggun's 'photo is not one from your Pioneer. What a coincidence.

I'm pleased the engine fired up so easily. In my experience, diesel engines that have been idle for years often will, it's when you're stuck half way across a busy main road that they tend to let you down.

Hey, thanks for all the encouragement! I wonder if that engine cover has originally come from my pioneer, I've posted a pic of the one which was on my pioneer until very recently, youngguns is a better match!

Pioneer.jpg

I have no idea how long this pioneer project is going to take, we have just taken on the mother of all restorations in the form of a 300 year old ruin, we have to rebuild this traditionally stone by stone! I guess this will take priority, its a nice spot though and should be worth it :shake:

LaighHall.jpg

Looks a great spot - and you have the chance to plan a full-length service pit in the lounge, a steam cleaning bay in the en-suite and lubrication bay in the utlility. And don't forget enough garage space for visitors.

Nothing short of paradise, really..........

Given the state of both projects I d say the Scammell would be easier do to its completeness or present state of assemble ??? seems they both need a sound roofing overhead job !

Truly you will be doing the other stone by stone!!!! to bad the Scammell doesnt have a bigger crane to assist in lifting those stones. Will you be doing further dismanteling of the ruins before you will be able to begain rebuilding???

Do you have to keep the outside appearance historically correct ? or are other limits

to what you can and cant do ???

• 2 weeks later...
Will you be doing further dismanteling of the ruins before you will be able to begain rebuilding???

Do you have to keep the outside appearance historically correct ? or are other limits

to what you can and cant do ???

I would expect to take around 30cm off all the walls to give a solid base for rebuilding, the lime based mortar used 300 years ago is very soft and crumbly so even good walls are pretty fragile!

The appearance of the building will be kept pretty much 'as was' with the stonework, traditional windows and a slate roof. The planners were however very supportive of two huge glazed windows that form two of the gable ends. My girlfriend however wasn't as supportive when she heard the cost :argh: