Sand blasting wheel drums ?

thedawnpatrol

Question

12 answers to this question

Not sure on the blasting, however in my job I deal with a lot of ####wits that can't drive and often cook their brakes, it's always my pleasure to instruct and over watch as they strip each wheel station down and sand the shoes as well as the inner drum to deglaze them.

I would of thought as long as you do not spend too long focused on the one area and just give the inside a cursory blast it should be ok, as for the springs if they are striped to individual leafs and blasted like that then painted and covered in duck oil prior to rebuilding I can't see any problem.

I am no expert and stand to be corrected after all this forum is excellent for me building up my knowledge and not just for sharing it.

When blasting wheel drums, is it advisable to mask the brake shoe rubbing surface, or would it not hurt to give it a key ?

Cheers

Jules

Also, I have read on here also that it's not advisable to blast clean leaf springs, is this a no no..."...........

Jules don't take them to the blasters at Woodcote as he's industrial and the finish will be very rough, Fine finishing at Eynsham (Cassington) does what its says on the Tin (a fine almost polished finish if that's what you want)

Brake drums - agree with comments above, blasting to clean up is fine but avoid a rough finish. If after blasting they are uneven it would in any case pay to get them skimmed.

With regard to springs (a topic for debate on many vehicle forums), it seems that it may in fact be beneficial! See this from a patent abstract (not that you should believe everything you read in patent blurb mind you :D):

This is a divisional application of application No. 487,920, filed October th, 1930, and relating to springs and method of producing the same.

It is generally known that the number of oscillations up to fatigue or fracture of springs, particularly leaf springs, is related with the properties of the surface of the springs. It is also known that small scores in the surface of springs 10 such as occur due to rolled-in scales or grooves and small crevices of other types, give rise to points of incipient premature fatigue or fracture. It is further known that by etching or sand blasting such crevices can be flattened out whereby the fatigue and fracture of the springs is delayed and the life is thus somewhat extended.

The present invention resides in the discovery, that by a structural improvement of a very thin superficial layer on the surfaces of springs, the number of oscillations up to fatigue can be increased by 600-1000%.

This improvement may be described as compacting the said thin superficial layer or increasmg the tensile strength of it. The compacting may further be described as such alteration of the thin superficial layer, as may be effected by a sand blast or similar means, and which is known as applied to other articles than springs and for other purposes. Obviously the optimum eifect only occurs when other causes of fatigue such as crevices are either absent from the start or have been overcome by a separate process.

Couple that with the fact that shot peening (similar process to sand blasting) of spring leaves is part of the production process of many modern springs, I don't reckon it would be an issue - I might be a tiny bit concerned about very thin material like car or maybe Jeep springs, but they have to be cleaned somehow!

Not sure on the blasting, however in my job I deal with a lot of ####wits that can't drive and often cook their brakes, it's always my pleasure to instruct and over watch as they strip each wheel station down and sand the shoes as well as the inner drum to deglaze them..

The crazy and annoying thing is this is how new drivers are taught to drive for the test! i did my C+E a few years ago and was gobsmacked when i was instructed not to use the gears to slow down! but to use the brakes and block change!! don't make sense to me:nut:

I was told brakes are cheaper than gearboxes, strange that, been driving for 60 years and never done a gearbox:D

An Instructor told me it was because those following do not know you are slowing down when downchanging or deaccelerating, and using brakes gave them a signal of slowing. My reply was they should not be driving so close!

When blasting wheel drums, is it advisable to mask the brake shoe rubbing surface, or would it not hurt to give it a key ?

Cheers

Jules

Also, I have read on here also that it's not advisable to blast clean leaf springs, is this a no no..."...........

Mine had a very light blasting with fine silica sand

Dave

The crazy and annoying thing is this is how new drivers are taught to drive for the test! i did my C+E a few years ago and was gobsmacked when i was instructed not to use the gears to slow down! but to use the brakes and block change!! don't make sense to me:nut:

Your instructor was indeed correct, with a 44 ton artic you have brakes on all six axles but engine braking on only one. On a slippery surface a partial lock up of the drive axle could be enough to initiate a jack knife situation. Maintaining a sensible speed on a downgrade using the exhaust brake is a different matter but for slowing down the safest way is to use the brakes.

Edited by radiomike7