RL what to look for?

winchman

Help

I have been contacted by some one who is thinking of selling his RL.

So what should I look for?

Its a 1955 petrol flat bed

Flux have quoted me £181 fully comp with recovery. I assume this is good?

I believe it runs and drives but lights need attention?

Should have more details soon.

I assume its MOT and tax exempt?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help

I have been contacted by some one who is thinking of selling his RL.

So what should I look for?

Its a 1955 petrol flat bed

Flux have quoted me £181 fully comp with recovery. I assume this is good?

I believe it runs and drives but lights need attention?

Should have more details soon.

I assume its MOT and tax exempt?

Find out if it is an army RL or a Civil defence version, there are differences and especially if you prefer a military vehicle.;)

Find out if it is an army RL or a Civil defence version, there are differences and especially if you prefer a military vehicle.;)

Thanks but I don't feel it would matter to me as I just want to attend a few shows with it and teach our son to drive on some private land

Depends on how much you wish to spend , there are Smiths square cab heaters that would look OK , Smiths flat heaters (as S2A & Lightweight Land Rovers) , most Smiths barrel heaters are now goosed (bellows element leaks) .

I would just go for a Clayton with demister , as fitted to S1 Land Rovers as optional extra.

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/clayton-classic-barrel-heater-with-demist/

Things to look for - cab rot is the worst. Once the tin worm has struck, it can be expensive to sort although spare panels are still quite freely available. Most of the rest is pretty bomb-proof.

If it's ex AFS rather than military, the rear body will be wooden so if it's not been painted and/or kept outside, that might be rotten and need sorting.

Insurance - I pay about £90 per annum for insurance through Premium Choice and I pay about £60 on top for recovery with Autohome.

Duncan.

Things to look for - cab rot is the worst. Once the tin worm has struck, it can be expensive to sort although spare panels are still quite freely available. Most of the rest is pretty bomb-proof.

If it's ex AFS rather than military, the rear body will be wooden so if it's not been painted and/or kept outside, that might be rotten and need sorting.

Insurance - I pay about £90 per annum for insurance through Premium Choice and I pay about £60 on top for recovery with Autohome.

Duncan.

Thanks

Its a army chassis with a AFS cab the rear was missing so now has a home made flat bed on it. I wonder how that would affect the value?

Best quote with recovery included is £166.24

I did get one fro £63 but the recovery was an additional £50 + £50 when you call them out?

I think my kit will be removed from a scrap car and altered to fit so shouldn't cost much.

I think that you need to think very carefully about the insurance implications of such a modification. It could lead

to your insurance being nullified if you have an accident.

Regards

John

I think that you need to think very carefully about the insurance implications of such a modification. It could lead

to your insurance being nullified if you have an accident.

Regards

John

I have and mentioned it when asking for quotes

Providing the install is signed off by an approved gas company they are happy, I believe a certificate is issued.

It would make a big difference to me as it will help with the running costs as I keep frightening my self when I work out how much it costs just to drive it from storage to home!

Would of thought an LPG kit from a car would be a bit small, I'v had LPG in a couple of Land Rovers, biggest tank out of the two I had was 90 litres in an ex military 110 V8 that was placed behind the front seats against the rear bulkhead on top of the wheel boxes, would of thought that would be more the size you'd be wanting at least?

Would of thought an LPG kit from a car would be a bit small, I'v had LPG in a couple of Land Rovers, biggest tank out of the two I had was 90 litres in an ex military 110 V8 that was placed behind the front seats against the rear bulkhead on top of the wheel boxes, would of thought that would be more the size you'd be wanting at least?

I have spoken to a local LPG converter who has large used in date tanks for £50, he tells me he should be able to supply all the bits for under £150 depending on what used stuff he has in stock, that's using new valves and pipes.

I