RL what to look for?

winchman

The twin wheel RLs are a higher gross weight - if I remember correctly, 10.2 tonnes instead of 8.8. Obviously the smaller tyres will reduce ground clearance a touch and shorten the gearing.

As Richard correctly says (of course), the brake drums are exposed on a single wheel RL as the wheels are reversed and there's a lot of offset on the wheel.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there is no difference in the rating, they still gross the same; it's just that there's an exemption under the driver licencing rules that allows you to drive an LGV first manufactured before January 1st 1960 used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer on your normal car licence.

As you say, if you had a newer one you would have to downplate it. VOSA may have the requirements on record, otherwise you would have to contact someone knowledgeable to find out what to do. Downplating is normally fairly straightforward on Bedfords.

No, there is no difference in the rating, they still gross the same; it's just that there's an exemption under the driver licencing rules that allows you to drive an LGV first manufactured before January 1st 1960 used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer on your normal car licence.

As you say, if you had a newer one you would have to downplate it. VOSA may have the requirements on record, otherwise you would have to contact someone knowledgeable to find out what to do. Downplating is normally fairly straightforward on Bedfords.

Thanks

Hi Winchman,

Two great trucks, have owned both, but I would have thought the RL was better from the spares aspect than the K9, but someone may know different.They are also quite different vehicles in terms of size. Storage always being a problem. You may get away with parking a K9 "on the drive", but I doubt an RL will please the neighbours.

Good luck anyway, hope you find something.

Bw,

Mike.

Hi Winchman,

Two great trucks, have owned both, but I would have thought the RL was better from the spares aspect than the K9, but someone may know different.They are also quite different vehicles in terms of size. Storage always being a problem. You may get away with parking a K9 "on the drive", but I doubt an RL will please the neighbours.

Good luck anyway, hope you find something.

Bw,

Mike.

Thanks Mike

I feel the RL is the one that I really want although I do like the look of the K9, its a very valid comment re the parts as I am on a tight budget so cant afford to buy something that I am going to struggle with for parts.

The storage is sorted I just have to find an RL I can afford