RL what to look for?

winchman

I happen to think this is a great idea. A chap I know converted a B60 engine Dennis fire engine and not only does it make the thing relatively economical cost-wise but it runs an absolute treat.

I would commend it to anyone - and there are plenty of folk who know what they are doing to fit the gear (not me by the way)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happen to think this is a great idea. A chap I know converted a B60 engine Dennis fire engine and not only does it make the thing relatively economical cost-wise but it runs an absolute treat.

I would commend it to anyone - and there are plenty of folk who know what they are doing to fit the gear (not me by the way)

Thanks for your support.

The plan is (assuming the RL deal goes through?)

Take it to the LPG place buy the bits and he will tell me how to fit what where etc.

Once its done he will set it up and issue the cert, to be honest he was very helpful.

This is the difference between owning and not owning it as its no use having something I cant affrd to drive

Don`t forget to get the valve seats done, I have a six pot Land Rover and have just fitted an electronic distributer from Power Spark, it was £100 including coil and leads and it goes very very well, they do do a change over box that alters the timing for petrol and gas, it runs a little retarded on petrol, but at £180 extra I did not buy it, as I start on petrol and as soon as I can I change over to gas. :-)

I thought you added some lube type dipenser to cope with this? But for the miles we will be doing would it matter?

I have just spoken to a good friend from the off roading days and he has donated a 90Litre Gas tank with brackets and is going to empty the shed at the weekend to see what else he has.

Just need a vehicle now!

Someone I know recently had an LPG conversion done on an S-type coach and is very pleased with it. I don't think there were any issues with the valves.

In general, I think there are three things to consider with an LPG conversion - first, the practicalities of the conversion - how will it fit, do you have to have it done professionally, certification, insurance and so on. Second, the type of conversion, particularly single point or multi point injection and the like. Third, conversion costs - a lot of people do diesel or LPG conversions on vehicles almost as a kneejerk reaction to the cost and poor economy of a petrol engine and then spend more converting the vehicle than they ever would have spent on petrol in its lifetime. If as you say you can get it done 'on the cheap' you have a good solution to that!

Someone I know recently had an LPG conversion done on an S-type coach and is very pleased with it. I don't think there were any issues with the valves.

In general, I think there are three things to consider with an LPG conversion - first, the practicalities of the conversion - how will it fit, do you have to have it done professionally, certification, insurance and so on. Second, the type of conversion, particularly single point or multi point injection and the like. Third, conversion costs - a lot of people do diesel or LPG conversions on vehicles almost as a kneejerk reaction to the cost and poor economy of a petrol engine and then spend more converting the vehicle than they ever would have spent on petrol in its lifetime. If as you say you can get it done 'on the cheap' you have a good solution to that!

Sean I agree here is my considerations.

Cost well thanks to a good friend of mine I have the tank and possibly a few bits and bobs so we are on target to come in at £100.

I believe nothing can stop any one fitting one providing once completed it is certified and added to the LPG register.

We have a man who has come highly recommended who is familiar with tight wads doing there own work who providing its all done to the correct standard will test and do the paper work.

My big consideration is how it will look, so I Have thought of hiding the tank in a belly box, fuel tank etc, I can put the controls out of sight so at a casual glance it should look ok.

Could the tank go up between the chassis rails somewhere? Painted black wouldn't be obvious and might just look like a rather oversize air tank. Keep it well away from propshafts, suspension components etc. - there's a LOT of articulation on an RL!

I will have a look when and if I get it.

I now cant get hold of the vendor? He was moving house so its possibly he is far too busy, so I may be further away than I thought from my first MV

I work on LP forklifts for a living, and we tried synthetic oil in our rental fleet to try to cut down on wear and how often we changed the oil. We ran into problems with sludge build up, that did not happen with conventional oils.

So be careful if you use synthetic oil. Make sure it is a low ash oil, high ash with NG or Propane is not good, over the long run you will end up with deposit buildups. I did some checking and found that the ash content of synthetic oils varies with the different products just like it does for regular motor oils. Basically it is the proprieties of the oil, loads of info out there on the net but just did a quick search found this one;

»www.viragotech.com/fixit/AllAboutOil.html

Here is the bottom line as per the above link A high ash content will tend to form more sludge and deposits in the engine. Low ash content also seems to promote long valve life. Look for oils with a low ash content.

A little update

We have a local LPG fitter who has helped me out in the past, I don't like to mither him but I called today.

The number one thing is it has to go on the register and have a cert issued cost about £130.

The rest he tells me is easy. The bit that goes on the carb is critical as it must be the correct size, so he recommends we buy a new one, the rest can be used.

I will keep you informed.

I will do a blog of how we did it assuming the truck deal comes off.

Cab over engine vehicles are warm, I run my unimog without door tops all year and only pit on the heater for five minutes to demist the windscreen!

Thanks just never had a cab over before, once had a Land rover with no heater and that was grim.

Why do some RLs have twin rears and some don't?

Could I use a twin wheeler with single wheels at the back?

How much are tyres?

If I bought a twin wheeler with only singles at the back how hard is it to find two more wheels?

The recovery and tipper military RL's had twin rears, wheels are different and tyre sizes are 9.00-20 against 11.00-20 on the normal RL cargo versions with single rears.

The recovery and tipper military RL's had twin rears, wheels are different and tyre sizes are 9.00-20 against 11.00-20 on the normal RL cargo versions with single rears.

Thanks Richard.

One I have looked at when you look from the rear the brake drums stick out past the single wheel fitted?

The body is missing so I have no idea what it was, is this correct so should it have twin wheels?

Thanks Richard.

One I have looked at when you look from the rear the brake drums stick out past the single wheel fitted?

The body is missing so I have no idea what it was, is this correct so should it have twin wheels?

Providing it is on 11.00-20 tyres, then that sounds correct, the rims are offset and reversed when fitted to the front. You do not use twins with the 11.00 tyres/wheels