post war sales catalogues

wally dugan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Wally,

Excellent thread, but cannot see any attachments on previous pages, would be very interested in the Welbike sales, as they were not supposed to be sold in the UK.

Re. the Norton combinations, there is one civy reg. no; PMG950 and am wondering if this could be a 633cc Big 4 Norton with the SWD configuration?? see picture of similar reg. no. with a combination with the QV Rifles in 1940;

002_-_kopie.jpg

PMP and PMK were also used on Big 4's.

Have also various sales cat's, so if any info is needed?? but don't really know how to go about with this?

110120101155.jpg

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

Ah, thanks Wally!

Just checked the C numbers against my (Welbike) survivers list, but no cigar!

Am also wondering on the Indian combinations on that page, they cannot have been 600cc!! there was no such model in the Army at all! 500cc, yes, that was the 741, but too gutless for a sidecar, so then either 750cc model 640's but only a couple used, or the 1200cc models, there was however a 600cc civilian model, but have no evidence of that ever been used??

Strange the pages have dissapeared??

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

Am also wondering on the Indian combinations on that page, they cannot have been 600cc!! there was no such model in the Army at all! 500cc, yes, that was the 741, but too gutless for a sidecar, so then either 750cc model 640's but only a couple used, or the 1200cc models, there was however a 600cc civilian model, but have no evidence of that ever been used?

Lex

Lex

The Indian combinations on that page are all civilian registered and probably used by a Government Department and not by the Army.

Dusty

Hello Dusty, Yes I see, but most 1939 bikes were still Civvy registered, it was stopped in the beginning of 1940.

Reading through the excellent "British Forces Motorcycles" book, it says under the Indian chapter "The Machines also saw limited use with civil defence and fire organisations, and commonwealth and govermental departments and ministries"

But they are talking about the Indians that were imported under Lend Lease agreement, and by that time no 600cc machines were even being manufactured anymore.

Personally I think that the details, especially the cubic capacities in the sales cat's should be regarded with a pinch of salt, as they were of no great importance anyway, exept maybe when road tax had to be applied for, but then the reduced capacity would only make it lower!

It would be nice to have all the sales catologs digitalized, and put into a searchable Excell database! but this would cost an extreme amount of time.

If anyone is interested, I did make a list of sold postwar Thriumph TRW Ruddington sales, Reg. numbers only, but can trace it back in the catologs.

Cheers,

Lex

LEX while it is true that the use of civilian registration numbers on military vehicles stopped after the fall of france those vehicles that were issued to government departments continued to be given civilian registration numbers AS to the question of the cubic capacities while l will be the first to agree there may be mistakes as the people who compiled these lists were only human to say that they should be treated with a pinch of salt is a bit harsh

Yes, sorry, couldn't think of another expression, but meant that faults could have been made.

I just checked some stuff I have here, and I must have emailed it to you some time ago, but the wrong cover was on the catalog, so here's the 2 pages again, but they are from the Byram Park Depot, Brotherton, 3330 Motor vehicles etc. and 40 Motorcycles sale September 1948.

The post above with the PMG 950 reg. number, is related to the last page below. And if indeed that combination was a Norton Big 4, then the cc's are wrong here too.

1948_Bryan_Park_Depot_sale_01.jpg

1948_Bryan_Park_Depot_sale_02.jpg

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

LEX l have all the sales catalogues from the sales held at bayram park from the first to the last 44 in all 22 used by the

auctioneer to record price and condition and 22 unmarked as new the book you mentioned some of the information gleaned was

from documents held at Beverley which at the time was thought to be correct but as time goes by this may change for example you thought there were no welbikes sold in the uk HISTORY IS A FUNNY THING l try and keep a open mind

l have said before these books are often over looked but are a very important part of military vehicle history

RE civillian reg numbers on military items, I have photos taken near Antwerp in late 1944 of RAF vehicles still on theior middlesex civvy reg numbers, I also have a picture of a RAF convoy in southern UK at the height og the V2 attacks and they too are on civvy plates- I have also seen in some of the old auction cats several items brought into service pre 1041 still bearing their Middlesex reg numbers.

The NFS had a good number of Indians

TED

1948_Bryan_Park_Depot_sale_01.jpg

Lex

Two vehicles on this list interest me, CUN 165 and 201. Both were part of a batch of 108 such vehicles allocated to the Ministry of Food who distributed them around the country for use by school meals services, British Restaurants etc.

CUN 165 was last registered on the 30/6/52 to a private owner in Bishop Auckland whilst CUN 201 was last registered on 30/12/50 to the Borough Water Engineer, Municipal Offices, Rotherham.

Another, CUN 166, was last registered on the 31/12/48 to the Ministry of Supply, Storage Depot, Byram Hall, Brotherton, Leeds. Perhaps they used it as a run-about on the site.

Thanks for the sighting of these two pages Lex.

Dusty

this is not so much a sales catalogue more of a disposal list of mod vehicles from the 1950s to the 1990s it runs to hundreds

tanks trucks b vehicles british americian soviet all at one time here in Britain ever wonder what happened to the other gutty well here it is JLR 491 THE OTHER JLR 490 is now at GAYDON

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
THIS is from the byram park sale of march 1948 lot 2250 caught my eye only made £24 pounds in fair condition any one know about these half track tractors

Hi Wally,

I know a collector in Australia with one of these, his is the bonneted version. Check out this web link which shows the US Navy had some. The make does not come up in Chilwell census list so this one in the auction could have been RN or RAF maybe?

http://forums.aths.org/110849/US-Navy-Linn-C5-Catruk

regards, Richard