post war sales catalogues

wally dugan

its rather funny that early sales of around 1919 /1920s showed both chassis and registration number where as post war

they only show registration number also early sales gave more detail post second world war two the description was hit and miss for example if you want say to find a morris quad the description says morris tractor 4x4 but a guy will say guy quad gun tractor 4x4 as to your question if l find one l will post details for you

DUSTY is quite right amongst all the ARMY NAVY and RAF vehicles going through these sales also were vehicles from other

government departments like the GPO GAS BOARD and others another registration number is CT that appears now and again l am going to post something that has been puzzling me it concerns two german made motorcycles sold in 1946

one a DKW the other a ZUNDAPP both with civilian registration number when l can find the page in the relevant catalogue

in the hope some one has any thoughts on how they ended up in this sale

DEGSY THIS had crossed my mind and as they were around before the use of the CV system of identifying captured vehicles

also there condition excellent nearly new not in my day we took these items to bits last ones l did where the UAZ 469

also why use a civilian registration numbers THIS SALE WAS in march 46 the war had only been over six months

I have a number of Ministry of supply vehicles logged in HYV So I would suggest possibly brought over for evaluation.

I have GYO 235 a Mercedes turntable ladder under eval with the NFS. So I think it wasn't just the armed forces who brought stuff over for eval.

Lads best wishes for tomorrow andlook forward to sharing more great stuff on here in 2014

regards TED

HERE we are the lot numbers 2133 and 2134 the ZUNDAPP is classed as excellent and made £100 pounds the DKW WAS

also classed as excellent and made £52 pounds note the registration numbers

I have a book which lists the date a registration mark was first issued. It states that HYV began in January 1947 and HYT in July 1947.

Wally states that the sale took place in March 1946 so quite sometime before these two vehicles should have been registered.

Wikipedia states that Zundapp produced more than 18,000 of their KS 750 model for the German Wehrmacht during the war. This was a sidecar outfit with a driven side wheel and a locking differential, so well worth while bringing one back to be evaluated I would think.

Dusty

• 2 weeks later...

Wally, I do appreciate you posting this stuff. Even when the vehicles are not my particular obsession, the lists are still fascinating to look at. It's interesting to see that there was plenty of "early' stuff still around to be sold off post-war.

79X100 from your name l think this is what flies your kite and why not l hope this is what you like l had hoped that these sales documents would create interest and debate as for me it has helped dispel some of the myths about what happened at these sales The 25 pound jeep the motor bikes in the back of a truck bought for 150 pounds we have all heard the tales