British No9 Mk2 4 wheel trailer

Can anybody give me somemore info on my 4 wheel turntable trailer?

On the plate it says:-

TRAILER CHASSIS 4 WHEEL

No9 Mk 2 CONT No 23/S7007

GN (or could be CN)? 9977 X6140237

I would like to know how old it is and anymore info really?

I believe it should have 20" wheels but has had landrover wheels and tyres fitted, and should not have wheel arches.

Does anyone have the correct wheels for it?

Thanks

Colin

Lucy's new trailer 001.jpg

Lucy's new trailer 002.jpg

Can anybody give me somemore info on my 4 wheel turntable trailer?

On the plate it says:-

TRAILER CHASSIS 4 WHEEL

No9 Mk 2 CONT No 23/S7007

GN (or could be CN)? 9977 X6140237

I would like to know how old it is and anymore info really?

I believe it should have 20" wheels but has had landrover wheels and tyres fitted, and should not have wheel arches.

Does anyone have the correct wheels for it?

Hi Colin,

I would not think this trailer had 20" wheels, not with 5-stud hubs and insuffient clearance. It looks like a standard 2 ton trailer and they tended to have 9.00-13 tyres. Something a bit strange about the data plate, I cannot find the contract number in the Chilwell census number listing and the census number, X6140237, comes up as a 1 ton 2 wheel trailer of a different contract number. The range of contract and census numbers would generally put it at around 1944. It could have been part of a contract for the Navy or RAF, as they are not included in the Chilwell list, but then why does it have a army census number?

Richard

Hi Colin,

I would not think this trailer had 20" wheels, not with 5-stud hubs and insuffient clearance. It looks like a standard 2 ton trailer and they tended to have 9.00-13 tyres. Something a bit strange about the data plate, I cannot find the contract number in the Chilwell census number listing and the census number, X6140237, comes up as a 1 ton 2 wheel trailer of a different contract number. The range of contract and census numbers would generally put it at around 1944. It could have been part of a contract for the Navy or RAF, as they are not included in the Chilwell list, but then why does it have a army census number?

Richard

Hello Richard

The plate says 4 wheel trailer 2 ton, and does not look like it has been tampered with!?

As regards the wheels, a chap i know Barrie Hampson has exactly the same trailer, and he said his had 20" wheels, but i think he said he removed them due to availability problems and he fitted milk float wheels and tyres:shocked: so it was more level when towed behing his Fordson 1500cwt, and it actually looks ok!

I know nothing off these trailers, so i was hoping you might have some info of them!

I do know two things about it, (1) its a pig to reverse and i cant do it! (2) its blinking heavy when you have to man handle it up the drive:D

Colin

It's quite a nice looking trailer as is . Does it tow as good as it looks? What would it max. road speed be 30 mph or so ?

Hello

Thank you, i think its rather nice too! as regards max road speed, i dont know! but i can happily tow it about 45mph behind my Austin k2 GS truck:cool2: but it kills it on hills:-(

Its a pig to man handle, as i cant reverse it:embarrassed:

Maybe i should sell it and get a single axle trailer!?

Colin

Hello Richard

The plate says 4 wheel trailer 2 ton, and does not look like it has been tampered with!?

As regards the wheels, a chap i know Barrie Hampson has exactly the same trailer, and he said his had 20" wheels, but i think he said he removed them due to availability problems and he fitted milk float wheels and tyres:shocked: so it was more level when towed behing his Fordson 1500cwt, and it actually looks ok!

I know nothing off these trailers, so i was hoping you might have some info of them!

I do know two things about it, (1) its a pig to reverse and i cant do it! (2) its blinking heavy when you have to man handle it up the drive:D

Colin

Gary Grysa has one also, but in need of restoration. It seems to me to fill the same role as the Rubery Owen 2 ton dropside, that was built afterwards, They are similar down to a cross articulated front axle to allow off road use.

Hello Richard

As regards the wheels, a chap i know Barrie Hampson has exactly the same trailer, and he said his had 20" wheels,

hi Colin,

The info on tyre size came from the reprint of the Ministry of Supply Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles, circa 1944.

Richard

Gary Grysa has one also, but in need of restoration. It seems to me to fill the same role as the Rubery Owen 2 ton dropside, that was built afterwards, They are similar down to a cross articulated front axle to allow off road use.

hello

Do you know if he has an email address so i could ask for some pics please?

Colin

hi Colin,

The info on tyre size came from the reprint of the Ministry of Supply Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles, circa 1944.

Richard

hello again!

Thanks for the info on tyre sizes! am i correct in saying that size of tyre is hard to come by now days?

Perhaps i should stick with the 16" wheels!?

Colin

Colin

The only way to reverse a drawbar trailer is to attach it to the front of the towing vehicle and push it, thus able to see it and steer it

Edited by Nick Johns

The only way to reverse a drawbar trailer is to attach it to the front of the towing vehicle and push it, thus able to see it and steer it

I have been told that before, but there is no where to fit a coupling to the front of an Austin K2!

I know a chap who has a coupling bolted to his front axle on a Bedford OY for this purpose, but i'd be worried about bending the axle!?

Colin

Hello,

Hej, there are more of these trailers around !

I have one, but could not find any information or pictures of others.

As you can see in the picture (as found) I still have a lot to do !

It is rusty but restorable.

Mine still has the dataplate:

Undercarriage 2TON 4WHLD

sensusnr X6109962

contract 23/6793

Supplier should be: Multiwheeler

Wheels are 13"x9.00 (already found 2 correct ones for the frontaxle)

All the best,

Egbert

DSC00279.jpg

• 1 month later...
HI Colin

These two photos were taken in the late 1960s of a recent demobbed trailer of your type. It still has the post war reg plate attached but i cant be sure just how far back it was manufactured. Hope it helps

Fantastic photos! now i know what to aim for to finish it off, thanks!

Colin

They can be backed, if youa re very very good. when I was at college the pig man Pete Mountain was ex RAF, he'd ben driving the RL control vehicles with four wheel trailer fore and aft. Made the rest of us sick! He could make a four wheel trailer dance! :drive::banghead:

• 10 months later...

Hi ,

Probably a bit late but I am trying to attach a photo of my trailer for you.

It now has Land Rover wheels and tyres fitted. Even with the milk float wheels it was inclined to "jink" but that is now sorted. the present set up as you see gives a near horizontal tow.

I was told that it was a Taskers trailer probably built under license in one of the hundreds of small garages converted for "War work" but I am no expert.

Just for info I have another trailer running chassis in the back garden which I hope to get restored one day but I will probably go for a flatbed.

Regards

Barrie Hampson

PS I have enough trouble backing the WOT never mind the trailer

I have been told that before, but there is no where to fit a coupling to the front of an Austin K2!

I know a chap who has a coupling bolted to his front axle on a Bedford OY for this purpose, but i'd be worried about bending the axle!?

Colin

They can be reversed. The skill is keep things in a straight line and keep things very slow and gentle.