Light Aircraft crash Bihop Norton

antarmike

The BBC is reporting the crash of a twin engined light aircraft that came down today near Market Rasen, killing the pilot.

The aircraft type is not identified by the BBC but local TV news shows an image of a tail fin with an RAF flash. Has

anyone got more information as it seems to me to be a civilian owned ex RAF plane?

Only on the screen for a few seconds, but rather than being a twin engine aircraft, (report by an eye witness says one ongine was on fire prior to the crash) it looked to me more like a Jet Provost/ strikemaster. but it was only on screen for a few seconds so I could well be wrong. Crash was at Bishop Norton??

Only on the screen for a few seconds, but rather than being a twin engine aircraft, (report by an eye witness says one ongine was on fire prior to the crash) it looked to me more like a Jet Provost/ strikemaster. but it was only on screen for a few seconds so I could well be wrong. Crash was at Bishop Norton??

Mike,

I agree that the tail looks like a Jet Provost. There are some photos on the Lincolnshire Standard website, just showing the tail above the crops.

Sad news.

It doesn't look like a provost to me now, On a Provost, the part of the rudder that extends over the fixed tail fin, should have a flat horizontal line, at the its meeting with the fin. The crashed aircraft has , at the very front of the rudder a short length at 45 degrees, before becoming horizontal. Unless there is a late version of the strikemaster that had the fin/ rudder remodelled I don't think it is a Provost. But there is an airworthy Strikemaster listed at Humberside Airport!

But as others have said, whatever the type, it is a tragedy.

Edited by antarmike

The crashed aircraft has , at the very front of the rudder a short length at 45 degrees, before becoming horizontal.

But as others have said, whatever the type, it is a tragedy.

Mike,

As identifying the aircraft, I am going for a Provost T.1.........the rudder profile fits the bill.

Totally agree, it is a tragedy and thoughts are with all concerned.

Edited by Richard Farrant

I have just looked at photos of both Provost aircraft, and my opionion is that it definetly is a Piston Provost. The rudder is different on both aircraft.

Sad loss of another old aircraft, but a greater loss of the life of the Pilot.

Quote from Lincs Echo website

"The plane was a Percival P.56 Provost, a vintage type believed to have been on its way from Waddington to Linton-on-Ouse in North Yorkshire.

For more on the crash, see Thursday's Echo."

Until last wednesday one of my sons lived at Waddington and was a member of Lincs Fire & Rescue ; just before leaving his former house he saw the Piston Provost land it was one of the very early arrivals for the airshow.

The only other light aircraft with a British fin flash was a silver Auster in Army markings.

Searches of local newspaper sites reveals the keyword Provost in relation to the crash.

A very sad loss.

TED