Duxford, show report.

Just got back from duxford.

Met the dodgy squaddies at 7am and off we headed. My dad was in the lead and promptly got us lost! I took the lead and we arrived.

The weather was great, and I got to drive my landy on the runway, very cool!, driving around a WW2 battle of britain airfield.

There was about 20 stalls there and the spitfire was up and flying and the vulcan flew overhead.

Some piccys.

SNV31951.jpg

On the runway;

SNV31949.jpg

SNV31952.jpg

One for carweazle

SNV31947.jpg

A very good day out.

Just a few critisisms, I went for breakfast but the on site restaurant was'nt doing them! I had a bacon roll and a sausage in a roll and a cup of tea, price, £7.15!! It was £1.65 just for a cup of tea.

The burger vans were just as bad, £4.00 for a cheeseburger!, £1.50 for a cup of tea.

It really pees me off when these kind of prices are charged.

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks to everyone that came. All of the volunteers had a grand day and felt it was one of the best ones yet. The quality of all of the participants really made it, and we saw lots of happy people, and recieved good feedback.

The winning vehicles were gorgeous, but we were lucky to have a good selection of different vehicles this year, so competition was tight. I look forward to seeing more photos if anyone has them, as I was dashing around I didn't get to take many, especially of the second field with our wheeled vehicle lineup.

The Cavalcade was great fun, and the Zil I was driving managed to both start (almost) first time, and make it all the way through:yay:, signalling what we hope is the end to the cavalcade curse (in previous years the girls vehicles always broke down, but both the green Zil 131 and the MJ made it around with no problems:sweat:). I actually managed to get the Zil into 5th gear, althought didnt manage to maintain speed as there are two very heavy generators in the rear shelter.

I was on ground control for the Arena events. It seemed like we had more vehicles running around than in previous years with a very hectic schedule. It was also the debut of our newly restored halftrack, which has been a long term restoration project for the last couple of years (and can be seen in pieces alongside the Centurion in our episode of Tank Overhaul)

The Chieftain fault doesn't look too serious. The hand brake valve appears to have siezed, resulting in things getting very hot and producing lots of smoke. This looked quite dramatic, but once we got inside it looks quite simple to rectify once she's back in the workshop. We've also got a starter fault in the Conq which took it out of the running at the last minute, but should be simple to fix.

Next year's event is scheduled for the weekend of the 7th and 8th of August, and may be a two day event (more on that as and when we get confirmation ). This should hopefully make it our biggest yet.

Edited by Lauren Child

Although i wasnt planning on going, my 5 year old daughter was on day release from her maximum security reform day care so we made a day of it.

As always there were some really outstanding vehicles. I wont post photos of what has already been posted so here are some others that caught my eye:

My second favourite

IMG_4229.jpg

My favourite

IMG_4231.jpg

One for the WLF fans:

IMG_4248.jpg

favourite Jeep:

IMG_4261.jpg

Favourite fire engine:

IMG_4286.jpg

bravest person award goes to:

IMG_4292.jpg

M25 on a busy day

IMG_4304.jpg

Not seen one of these in private hands before:

IMG_4297.jpg

Favourite tanker:

IMG_4307.jpg

Hang on, this one looks familiar:

IMG_4310.jpg

Duxford should be one of the premier UK shows, but it seems to be missing something. Not sure if it is lack of traders, too many Jeeps and Landrovers, or what it might be but i always go away feeling ever so slightly dissapointed. Maybe it is just me. maybe, making it in to a two day show will help. I look forward to 2010.

I got stung by the food prices last year so brought a packed lunch, drink and only bought ice cream. Tight git that I am. Highlight of the day was my five year old daughter's comment. Seeing Jeeps, MV cavalcade, or Spitfire and hurricane flying around seemed to have no effect upon her. However, going past a large sign advertising a beer festival, she shouted "LOOK BEER"!!! I expect a call from social services any day now.

Tim (too)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Duxford should be one of the premier UK shows, but it seems to be missing something. Not sure if it is lack of traders, too many Jeeps and Landrovers, or what it might be but i always go away feeling ever so slightly dissapointed. Maybe it is just me. maybe, making it in to a two day show will help. I look forward to 2010.Tim (too)

I did touch on this subject earlier Tim.its all the things you mentioned,

i know traders who wont go on principal because of the way they were treated years ago,that means a lot of older vehicle owners dont for the same reason.It doesnt have that sparkle anymore.Maybe its just run its course.Sorry Lauren maybe its just us older blokes who think this.But then maybe the younger ones never experienced the magic Duxford used to be.Full marks for your efforts though,if it wasnt for people like yourself there wouldnt be any shows.:-D

Good effort lauren, I did try and find you, but could'nt!

No worries. I was tied up with the 432 rides for most of the morning, and then on the cavalcade and ground control for the afternoon, so I wasn't out and about much.

I did meet Andy quickly during the rides, so I've now met another HMVFer:beer:.

I did touch on this subject earlier Tim.its all the things you mentioned,

i know traders who wont go on principal because of the way they were treated years ago,that means a lot of older vehicle owners dont for the same reason.It doesnt have that sparkle anymore.Maybe its just run its course.Sorry Lauren maybe its just us older blokes who think this.But then maybe the younger ones never experienced the magic Duxford used to be.Full marks for your efforts though,if it wasnt for people like yourself there wouldnt be any shows.:-D

The show has been getting very good feedback in recent years, and its one of the main things that has attracted a lot of us new volunteers into the Duxford gang and the vehicle hobby in general, so I'm hopeful that we are doing things right. There was a new team organising the event this year (with strong support from the more experienced volunteers) with a lot of new ideas.

Duxford is an ideal place for a show having the runway for the cavalcade, allowing vehicles to be displayed on the move (as well as being fun for a drive), and the running collection of vehicles in the display arena. All of this takes place in a museum that won Large Visitor Attraction of the Year last year, and has some world class displays and exhibits.

I know times change, and judging by some of the old photos I've seen both the museum and the show have changed significantly, but I think we've got a good show here, and I look forward to it getting even better as more people join in. I'd love it if you could pass on my details to the traders you mention so we could see if we could get them back.

Edited by Lauren Child

Can you tell us anything about that cream Bata Ambulance Service wagon, Andy? :coffee:

The BATA estate is just next door to Coalhouse Fort where some of us store our vehicles

http://www.thurrock-community.org.uk/batamemories/warmemorial.html

http://www.visionarythurrock.org.uk/docs/artists/helenabenzenou/bata/archive.html

Edited by Marmite!!