Dunkeswell Airport 4th-5th July

Dunkeswell Airport, nr Honiton Devon.

On the 4th-5th of July there is a 'Fly in' for light/homebuilt/and Classic aircraft. There can be up to 200 visiting aircraft ( Saturday is usually the busiest)

The organisers and Airport management would like to combine this event with a Military vehicle contingent, with the hope that this would become a future attraction for the likes of us people who own green things.

The Airport facilities would be accessable to all visiting military vehicle owners and their passengers etc. This would include free entry to the meet, the display area, and the Air Centre, which has an excellent bar and restaurant with all day food, drinks etc. being served.

Those that wish to, can camp overnight.

On the Saturday night there is a band (type not known) and 'Hog roast'

The airfield is ex U.S.Navy W.W.II (flying B.24/P.B.4Y 1's and Catalinas') and is steeped in history, and still very much intact. It's very busy with one of the best skydiving schools in the U.K. and an equaly top notch and thriving flying school. (should you wish to see Devon from the air, this can be arranged.) retaining many of the original buildings and all three runways.

Those that wish to attend, and they will be most welcome, should try to arrive by mid morning either day.

We know that new events are always difficult, but it would be appreciated if as many as possible could give it a go!

By the way, I own a '42 G.P.W.

Jeff

Edited by Marmite!!

Hi Jeff -- just picked up on this one and only heard about the event this last weekend.

I'm not sure that the all the local MVT guys are in the picture though and advise that you contact the Local Area Secretaries for a response. Being close to home and having Claud Capel as one of our members, I would think that it would certainly be something we'd like to support now and in the future.

I can vouch for the bar, restaurant and pleasant surroundings! Brilliant!

West Somerset

Derek Bowman

202 Berrow Road

Burnham-on-sea

TA8 2JF

Somerset

Tel - 01278 782 361

derik@uwclub.net

Wessex

Richard (Dick) Fryer

10, Easthams Rd

Crewkerne

Somerset

TA18 7AQ

Tel - 01460 74250

Devon

Barry Miller

1 Barton Cottage,

Sutton,

Cullompton,

Devon,

EX15 1NF

Tel 01884 34533.

E mail barrymiller@freeola.com.

Hi Derek,

how are you keeping.

I think all our Wessex M.V.T. guys are aware of it, and Roy Gallina is working his butt off making sure other M.V.T. people are as well.

If we only get 20-30 vhicles that would be good, any more and it's a bonus.

thanks for getting in contact.

Although it's not a 'Warbird' event there should be some nice classics there. The Airport management are hoping that it could be a combined event for the future.

As you say, Dunkeswell is a great place to hold any kind of military event due to its historical past.

Jeff

Hi Derek,

Sorry Jeff -- I'm not Derek I'm Malcolm and it was Roy who told me about the event on Sunday at the Wessex Club do, but I'm in the West Somerset bunch (Taunton/Minehead) and it was our lot I was refering to really.

Maybe Roy has got to everyone by now.