Normandy 2009 65th Anniversary

It must be hats off to the folks who organised the IMPS and MVT camps, vehicles on the beaches etc as that's what I would expect to see...

Jack,

The MVT were officially invited by the Mayor of Arromanches to be on the beach for the afternoon, so nearly all the vehicles parked there, were Trust members.

Jack,

It might have been more to do with a certain US President's visit to that area, with all the restrictions. We were on the MVT camp which was situated just in the US sector and it was easy to visit both US and British beaches......up until the 6th when road restrictions came into place. There were many encampments besides the two main British clubs and scattered right across the region.

I hear you Richard. We just couldn't move on Saturday. We were trying to get to the British sector which we did around 21:00.

Marine One flew over us three times at a height of around 500 feet - surrounded by Black Hawks. All I wanted to do was see our men :(

We managed to get up to Dead Man's Corner museum just outside of Carentan on the morning of the 6th then back down to Arromanches for the commemorations. Albeit on the way back from Carentan we had to take the long way around as the motorway was closed meaning we had to go south then cut across country which wasn't too bad at all really.

We got stuck leaving Arromanches (2nd vehicle to be stopped) and were kept there for 2 hours. It was for Gordon Browns convoy. There were many many irate motorists, some had veterans in their cars who where unable to even get to a toilet as the nearest one was in town. We did the only sensible thing and walked back into town to get beer! This helped with the journey back as it was pouring with rain and the back of a WLF is not a good place to travel in the rain!

We got stuck leaving Arromanches (2nd vehicle to be stopped) and were kept there for 2 hours. It was for Gordon Browns convoy. There were many many irate motorists, some had veterans in their cars who where unable to even get to a toilet as the nearest one was in town. We did the only sensible thing and walked back into town to get beer! This helped with the journey back as it was pouring with rain and the back of a WLF is not a good place to travel in the rain!

I was on one of the bikes following your Ward out of Arromanches! I'd noticed that you'd got the beers in and you did seem to be enjoying yourselves..!

Ah yes, the Harleys...I'd been trying to forget about them. I suppose that I'm being harsh, but I did get the impression that they were missing the point somewhat..

I agree -hell of a bike and they were impressive but not on D-Day!

I guess those with transport vehicles like GMC's and Ambulances etc were very popular in the rain provided they had a good canvas on them as somewhere to pass the time with suddenly made Friends.

Sure would have been handy as at times the rain was horrendous as shown by the pictures below of the Bayeux vehicle parade on the Sunday. (I know they aren’t the best pictures but just want to give you an idea of what it was like at times.)

764.jpg

765.jpg

761.jpg

757.jpg