One thing leads to another.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Well the day started bright and sunny and i thought to myself whats a good substitute to roaring around the Solent upsetting everbody.

I know lets convert the Champ to V8 auto.

Preparing to remove engine

champaxle001-1.jpg

champaxle003-2.jpg

champaxle004-1.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

champaxle005.jpg

champaxle006-2.jpg

champaxle007-1.jpg

I love the way it all comes out ,rad etc all connected you dont even have to drain the water.

what a heavy lump though for 80hp.not like a rover v8.

Well just look at it,all that weight,i never open the bonnett so know one will know.

It started out thinking lets put an overdrive on it ,then a five speed Sherpa g/box,fetch the revs down make 70 mph cruising a lot quieter,then rather than make an adapter plate why not put engine and box in.Then we were trying to make some sort of free wheel hubs and not getting far so we thought take out front axle junk a load more weight and just keep the ends ,i never use 4 wheel drive anyway.

champaxle008.jpg

out you come you horrible leaky lump of junk:-D

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

My fitter John has a rare Early efi range rover he never uses ,it was a factory car and was at the Berlin motor show,its one of the very first EFIs.spent most of its life in Monaco.I thought we would use this,that way we get to annoy the Range rover anoraks as well as the champ ones,double bubble as they say.champaxle009.jpg

Nick converted his hotchkiss to RHD this afternoon only trouble is column a bit long you need to sit in the back.:rofl:

That sounds interesting Cat, how will you remember which 'box is in reverse?:shake:

Do 2 x reverse = 1 x forwards.

Good question,if we had thought of it earlier we could of fitted a late RR independent Diff,bugger:-D

WOW. CW you are more than welcome to get bored around my place at anytime!!!!!

Just a days work for and old duffer Jack

champaxle012.jpg

Always been a hot rodder, this I like :thumbsup: QUOTE]

Get one of the latest supercharged V8's and methanol inject it CW......if plod can't catch you he can't nick you:-D

Not quite true Degsy, A local bloke got pulled for doing 160mph on the M25 at 4 AM a few years back:shake:. The Ford Scorpoi patrol car maxed out at 145, so plod Vascared him going away at 15mph.

Great thread. I didnt realise that rad was that big. It looks more at home in a routemaster.If you want proper power,then forget the Rover V8. Its past its best. I reckon a GM LS2 from the corvette should do the trick. 420bhp standard. And with the addition of a SC or turbo,s then 700bhp is easily achieved.

Its the sort of power the champ is crying out for.:D:

Not quite true Degsy, A local bloke got pulled for doing 160mph on the M25 at 4 AM a few years back:shake:. The Ford Scorpoi patrol car maxed out at 145, so plod Vascared him going away at 15mph.

Thats cheating if the vascar had him doing 15mph:-D

• 2 weeks later...

I went down there yesterday. The champ engine is sitting on a pallet ready for its new customer. CW has opted for a Rover 4.6 as the new power plant. He might have to work a ZF box in to the conversion as well,as he is not too sure the the unit will match up to the champ box,even with a modified bell housing and adaptor plate.

He is also looking at making up a new exhaust sytem as well. It will certainly cause a stirr on the the show scene when complete. Then again CW doesnt like conforming to the norm.

Doubt it will make Beltring though. Hell of a lot still to do.