Matador water pump

Matador Steve

Question

Could someone tell me what this hole is in the top of the waterpump. Had the engine steam cleaned today and became aware of the hole about the size of a new penny, I have had the radiator off since before the cold snap, is it frost damage and is it in or behind the pump chamber, did not have a chance to trial fill the pump, if it is a problem ? I want to repair it while the rad is off. Took a couple of photos.

Thanks Steve

MATADOR PLUMPTON 085.jpg

MATADOR PLUMPTON 086.jpg

9 answers to this question

is the hole jagged, or does it look as though it is missing something? There should be a grease nipple somewhere on the pump (I think) Is it the 7.7 you have fitted?

You could try talking to this guy, he sells loads of matador spares, Martyn Callaghan 07887 535369.

Edited by Simon Daymond

Yes, I had a look at your pictures again after I'd posted, the hole looks like damage. Martyn sells Matador spares, if you can't repair it I'm sure he can help. Do you think it was where a grease nipple went, but over time the hole has corroded etc to become what you currently have?

While it may not be frost damage, old metal can crystalize and the slightest tap can cause damage without you realizing. The water pump is an alloy casting of poor quality (don't forget there was a war on and the design life of a Matador was a couple of weeks!).

It should say in the Matador drivers hand book (which i used to have) if there was a grease nipple there. I think some had a small oil well with a wick in it for lubricating. AEC used this on some models, but I can't remember which ones.

waterpumpmanual.jpg

Cross section shows round hole, The unshaded area, just to right of the arrow pointing to the Carbon gland, with flange nut beyond the hole.

Don't worry, it's perfectly acceplable to have an odd shaped hole ( or so my doctor tells me)

The area of the pump where the hole is located is the drain for any water that escapes past the carbon Gland, and an escape route for oil getting past the labarynth seal on the water pump drive shaft, emerging from the engine block.

Any oil or water here is supposed to leak out the drain hole at the bottom. It is my guess that the top hole is just to support the sand core that occupied this space when the pump was cast.

Edited by antarmike