Happy birthday to AntarMike and Paul.

Jack

Spent my birfday walking round "Hole of Horcum" and Flamborough Head, and Friday climbing "Roseberry Topping" at 320 metres. and still had the energy to look briefly at Elvington air museum, before a night in the Disco. Did Eden Camp on Saturday and now back in Lincolnshire to have a rest!

Spent my birfday walking round "Hole of Horcum" and Flamborough Head, and Friday climbing "Roseberry Topping" at 320 metres. and still had the energy to look briefly at Elvington air museum, before a night in the Disco. Did Eden Camp on Saturday and now back in Lincolnshire to have a rest!

Congrats to both of you........:)

Did you get a chance to visit the pub at Saltersgate, Mike ?? Hole of Horcum is a great walk,.........so's the climb to the top of Rosberry Topping. ( I hope the swastika graffitti has been painted out from trig point)

Totally pizzed of with the state of the outdoor exhibits at Eden Camp. They all seem unloved and uncared for, rusting hulks not long for this world.

yorkshire2009085.jpg

I thought museums were supposed to conserve artefacts for future generations, but seeing as the brochure says this Explorer and the nearby Green Goddess are World War two vehicles I should have known how little interest they would have in keeping them in good condition.

Frankly I was appalled at the utter state of disrepair they were in and the level of rust and corrossion on every outdoor exhibit.

Guess it depends on the main interest of the folk running this museum, Mike.

I've seen lots of exhibits at museums which are in the "peripheral interest" category, and often they end up just as you describe (not necessarily through any fault of the museum - it is down to resources and priorities).

Either that or someone does the right thing and allows it to move on to a new home, either another more appropriate museum or a new owner who will look after it, maybe keeping it at the original site for the museum's benefit.

I wonder how the Explorer came to be there - was it donated? Is it on loan? I have a feeling it has been mentioned on here before.

What that Explorer desperately need is for a local band of nutters to adopt it and sort the problems out. But that is easier said than done. Perhaps a Forum 'Area Group' project? :)