Hastings Area

woa2

I am going for a short holiday at St. Leonards near Hastings from Monday April 6th to Friday 10th April. Can anyone advise of any good places to visit in the area? Also, any places to avoid? Also, any good and cheap places to eat? There will be 4 adults and a 6 month old Baby.

Many thanks for any guidance you good people can give me.

there are a few places along the coast that are worth the visit from newhaven fort througth to dover castle within the 1 1/2 hour drive period from hastings

let me know what you want to see and i will work out places for you

battle abbey aint to bad but costs to go in

Head down to Rye and Winchelsea along the A259. Rye is stunning, mediaeval and has lots to look at. Park down the bottom on the ring road by the roundabout with the old Rover dealership on it (Skinners). You can then take the footpath from the crossing (by the bowling green) up into the town itself. Only minutes. Lots to look at there. Simon the Pieman is good for lemon meringue pie! (by the church - which is interesting).

You'd pass thru Winchelsea first en route. It is much quieter. Spike Milligan is buried in the churchyard. His grave is a celtic cross and has 'I told you I was ill' inscribed in gaelic.

Going on from Rye, if you want huge fish and chips head down to the Pilot at Dungeness. Glorious (after six is my usual calling time). The beach at Camber is stunning at low tide and you may see the shipwreck. They might even be firing on Lydd ranges.

Off from Rye itself is Rye Harbour and the churchyard there, as you drive in, has a stunning Lychgate with the names of all the men who went from there to WW1 and those who did not come back. In the graveyard is the memorial to many of the survivors of the war who were subsequently lost in the 1928 Lifeboat disaster. A Gulf War friendly fire victim, Fusilier Stephen Satchell is buried behind the church. There is also a good walk along the harbour wall out to some impressive pillboxes. It can be blimmin windy, but if you're fortunate it is a grand spot.

Normans Bay near Pevensey is interesting too. Martello tower and so on. As the name suggests, it is where they came ashore in 1066. The site of the battle, at Battle (obviously) is worth a look on a dry day. It's English Heritage I think. The town itself is a bit of a nightmare.

Have fun.

Edited by Snapper
revisions

I grew up in Eastbourne, so I can think of a few.

Eastbourne Redoubt - military museum in one of the three forts thats supported the martello towers. Alas I think Eastbourne Martello Tower is closed these days.

Newhaven Fort - well worth a visit as it's a pretty unique place, with a good military museum.

Pevensey Castle - a good old castle in the area.

Tangmere aviation museum - just a long the coast. I keep meaning to go back there for a visit when I'm down south, as I've not been since I was much younger.

Dover castle is good but when I've been it's been pretty busy. If going make sure you get there early enough to book onto the underground hospital tour, as it sells out very quickly (I think you may be able to pre-book). Also get onto the tunnels tour. It's very good. I'm pretty sure there's a battle of Britain memorial/museum close by as well, but I've never managed to leave enough time in dover to get there. It's on my list for the summer.

Battle Abbey and Windsor Castle are probably in reasonable distance.

The Bluebell railway is fun, as is the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway.

If I remember right there's a wrecked viking ship poking out of the sand on Hastings beach, and a small viking museum too, plus there used to be a water powered cable car system going up the cliff face.

A good place to eat is Littlington Tea Gardens (near the Long Man of Wilmington). Definitely the best cream tea in Sussex. Have put on far too many calories there, but check that they are open before going. There are also two good italian restaurants at the Soverign Harbour.

Edited by Lauren Child

Bodiam Castle is just down the road from Hastings

bodiam_castle1.jpg

there's not alot inside but great views from the towers, plenty of garden to take a picnic and iirc there's a pillbox near the entrance too.

If you do find yourself over at newhaven, there's a BRILLIANT museum,( not the one at the fort) which sadly doesn't seem to get the mentions it deserves,...........certainly from a military point, Newhaven has strong links with the Canadians and Dieppe. :)

I think Littleington T gardens re-open at Easter,............if you like cider etc, Middle Farm, at Firle is worth a visit,....yup, they do tasters, so make sure someone else is driving..........:-D

Snaps given an excellent run down on the dungeness/rye area, and I'll certainly second his choice for fish n chips.

Enjoy your stay, mate.

Andy

Robert,

Tenterden is not far away either, lovely little country town, Kent and East Sussex Railway starts there and runs to Bodiam, although not sure of opening times for April, look up www.kesr.org.uk

Also, in Station Road, there is a good sit down fish n' chip shop.

Then down on Romney Marsh, the Brenzett Aeronoutical Museum, very interesting collection, check opening times though.

If you do find yourself over at newhaven, there's a BRILLIANT museum,( not the one at the fort) which sadly doesn't seem to get the mentions it deserves,...........certainly from a military point, Newhaven has strong links with the Canadians and Dieppe. :)

I think Littleington T gardens re-open at Easter,............if you like cider etc, Middle Farm, at Firle is worth a visit,....yup, they do tasters, so make sure someone else is driving..........:-D

Have you got any info on the other museum? I've not heard of that and I'm down there for a few days next week.

Middle Farm is indeed good for Perry as well, as my fridge attests at the moment having driven past it last week :cool2:

Two things that have fascinated me about Hastings for some time are:

1) A German submarine (U118) was washed ashore there. How many towns can claim that? I don't know what remains, nor where it is!

2) On 17th March, 1909 (the centenary of which is any day now), as an advertising stunt to prove the worth of motor vehicles, the Automobile Association transported a fully equipped Guard's battalion from London to Hastings and back. It being St Patricks Day, the Mayor of Hastings promised the guardsmen Irish stew for lunch. The drivers were accomodated in groups at AA appointed hotels. Quite why the Veteran Car Club, when it got into such angst a few years ago about extending the London to Brighton cut off date from 1904, didn't recreate the Guard's run for younger cars is anyones guess. Something I still wish they would do!

2) On 17th March, 1909 (the centenary of which is any day now), as an advertising stunt to prove the worth of motor vehicles, the Automobile Association transported a fully equipped Guard's battalion from London to Hastings and back. It being St Patricks Day, the Mayor of Hastings promised the guardsmen Irish stew for lunch. The drivers were accomodated in groups at AA appointed hotels. Quite why the Veteran Car Club, when it got into such angst a few years ago about extending the London to Brighton cut off date from 1904, didn't recreate the Guard's run for younger cars is anyones guess. Something I still wish they would do!

Funny you should mention the AA transporting a Guards battalion to Hastings, this is going to be re-enacted in part, later this month, the 100th anniversary, but only going from London to Sevenoaks, due to the age of some of the vehicles. When told about this it reminded me of my father taking me to see what would have been the 50th anniversary, on the A21 at Flimwell, there were veteran cars, pre- WW1 London buses, etc carrying troops.

Richard, do you have better details? Will it be on the 17th (a Tuesday) or the weekend before? - may have to take a day off work! What's the route?

The age bit is a bit of a cop out! If pre-1905 cars can make Brighton then anything younger should be able to make Hastings with little difficulty.

Richard, do you have better details? Will it be on the 17th (a Tuesday) or the weekend before? - may have to take a day off work! What's the route?

The age bit is a bit of a cop out! If pre-1905 cars can make Brighton then anything younger should be able to make Hastings with little difficulty.

Runflat,

I think that the organising of this has been over a very short period as I was approached to take part only about a month or so ago. The logistics of doing the complete journey with only a short time to organise might be the reason for only going as far as Sevenoaks. Should make a good spectacle though.

I think that the organising of this has been over a very short period as I was approached to take part only about a month or so ago. The logistics of doing the complete journey with only a short time to organise might be the reason for only going as far as Sevenoaks. Should make a good spectacle though.

Thanks Richard. I hope the event gets sufficient publicity to make it worthwhile for all involved - it should be a bit different, to say the least.

Another thing to do near Hastings is to search out Bexhill with its links to early motor racing:

http://www.discoverbexhill.com/bexhillmotorracing.php

http://www.bexhillmuseum.co.uk/activelst.asp?rid=1&cat=36

http://www.bexhill100.co.uk/frame.html

The Sleeper gave me info on this and due a combination of work and other nonsense I completely forgot to post it up despite discussing it with a certain Great War Trucker. Apologies. I'd like to be there for it, too, but she who must be obeyed demands DIY. Might yet make it. Should be interesting. Will someone who can get there do some snapping and stuff for us please?????

M