April tour of Deippe to Point du hoc

paul connor

Ok

In April I have conned the girlfriend into coming with me and the 109 to france!

I intend to drive to point du hoc then head back over a period of 3-4 days to take in all the landing sites and graveyards

any one have any pointers? places that are a must.. also anywhere I can do some metal detecting to unearth some 400lbs bombs and try my hand at EOD (joking) but the metal detect would be fun..

pointers anyone?

As Im sure you have al gone..

Also being Experienced in much underground exploration.. where needs to be done?

ill have SRT equip and full cave attire..

http://www.longforgotten.tk

Paul

Hi Paul,

if you do go ty and visit the American cemetery just of the D514 (just befor you get to Pont du Hoc )

Merville Battrey

Ousyreim Bridge and museum

There is another nice battrey site with complete guns etc also free to wander round (i may be mixed up as this could be Merville?)

Just read a basic account of the battle and most sites will be mentioned.

Ashley

If you can visit maisey battery a little way west of point du hoc it has only been open

two years and is nice and raw!! also pegasus bridge if you can keep to the 514 coast road

you will drive past some good stuff eg mulberry harbour at arromanche

Dave

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Maisey battery very interesting,it has turned upside down the historians version of what went on.they wont accept it.have met the owner and have lots of pics but never found the time to tell the story yet.Make it a must see.

Paul,

If you are in IMPS or MVT contact them. There is some info re. the new French laws, on the Normandy section of the MVT website.

How new are these laws we went last year 3 champs met a group of french jeeps they took us all over the place,did about 40 miles off rd lots on rd.everyone waved we passed only saw one police car the whole trip and that was empty at the docks.:confused:

How new are these laws we went last year 3 champs met a group of french jeeps they took us all over the place,did about 40 miles off rd lots on rd.everyone waved we passed only saw one police car the whole trip and that was empty at the docks.:confused:

Maybe it is just for the commemeration period, but I seem to think it is a general thing now. It is best to seek advice. I do know that to transport any MV through France can produce major problems, not scaremongering, just saying check it out.

Sounds like they need another revolution,the vows of the original seem to of been forgotten.LIBERTY that reminds me when we having one here,i am free next week.:-D

Sounds like they need another revolution,the vows of the original seem to of been forgotten.LIBERTY that reminds me when we having one here,i am free next week.:-D

:stop:Don't start me off CW, Lee won't like it and we'll all get banned:cool2:

Maisey battery very interesting,it has turned upside down the historians version of what went on.they wont accept it.have met the owner and have lots of pics but never found the time to tell the story yet.Make it a must see.

Good point CW - we have an interview with Gary to call in and we should get around to that. A very good historian and I fell out about this very subject. He (like all historians) denied any historic value to Maisy - I told him that it will rewrite history..he told me to get stuffed - he is now starting to change his view.......strange that.

Maisy is impressive.

& don't forget..

A law concerning the compulsory carrying of a reflective jacket (EN471) and a warning triangle (ECE R27) in France came into force on 1st July 2008. However, this regulation will not be enforceable with on-the-spot fines until 1st October 2008, when the fine will be between 90 and 135 Euros.

The French Road Safety Department has now confirmed that:

From 1st October 2008 all drivers in France, including drivers of vehicles registered outside of France, must have one warning triangle and one reflective jacket in their vehicle. This does not apply to drivers of two-wheeled and three-wheeled vehicles. In the event of breakdown the driver must put on the safety jacket before leaving the vehicle, and then place the warning triangle 30 metres from the breakdown to warn approaching traffic.The reflective jacket must be inside the car – not in the boot.

The use of warning triangles or hazard warning lights is mandatory in the event of an accident or break down, as is the wearing of a bright jacket (yellow or orange) for anyone leaving the vehicle.

We were aware of the above and were equiped,i supose thats sort of liveable with.i must admit though the French seem to not take a lot of notice,i have a picture of a no smoking sign in a cafe and the whole table of people were smoking sitting under neath:cool2:

Good point CW - we have an interview with Gary to call in and we should get around to that. A very good historian and I fell out about this very subject. He (like all historians) denied any historic value to Maisy - I told him that it will rewrite history..he told me to get stuffed - he is now starting to change his view.......strange that.

Maisy is impressive.

Good for you Jack.post a few pics on Monday.:-D

& don't forget..

A law concerning the compulsory carrying of a reflective jacket (EN471) and a warning triangle (ECE R27) in France came into force on 1st July 2008. However, this regulation will not be enforceable with on-the-spot fines until 1st October 2008, when the fine will be between 90 and 135 Euros.

The French Road Safety Department has now confirmed that:

From 1st October 2008 all drivers in France, including drivers of vehicles registered outside of France, must have one warning triangle and one reflective jacket in their vehicle. This does not apply to drivers of two-wheeled and three-wheeled vehicles. In the event of breakdown the driver must put on the safety jacket before leaving the vehicle, and then place the warning triangle 30 metres from the breakdown to warn approaching traffic.The reflective jacket must be inside the car – not in the boot.

The use of warning triangles or hazard warning lights is mandatory in the event of an accident or break down, as is the wearing of a bright jacket (yellow or orange) for anyone leaving the vehicle.

Also a first aid kit, and a complete set of replacement bulbs. Mind you there not a bad idea anyway. As for the hi-vi the British advice if you breack down on a motorway is clear out of the vehicle. Having brocken down once on a French minor road, with the triangle duly set. I'd suggset a Stinger behind the vehicle would be a god additional saftey aid.

The blurb from Brittany ferries, Headlamp adapters, as both my military's are vertical dip, I've not had a problem with this. GB plate, magnetic so it comes off for shows. Warning Triangles, apparently two required in Spain. First aid and Fire extingusher, you MUST stop and provide assisitance at an accident. Reflective vest, for drivers and passengers, spare bulb set

Reflective vests must be put on before leaving vehicle so have to be acesable.