1 for Hanno or....

Jack

How many Shermans are left in the world - in private & public hands  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How many Shermans are left in the world - in private & public hands

• 1-500
    • 501-1000
    • 1001 -1500
    • 1501-2000 - OK so I have been drinking....
    • 2001+ OK so I am in one of those Dutch Cafes...
    • Bribe Hanno for the answer....

There is always a way...just need to keep your ear to the ground and be in the right place at the right time. The easy option is to wish for loads of money and just buy one:-D

Sourcing the vehicles tends not to be the problem... Sourcing the funds to accquire it invariably IS!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I won't be surprised if the total would rise above the 1500 survivors. At this moment I have around 900 Shermans and direct variants (without the M3's) at the AfvRegister and it only covers the US, Canada, France, Belgium, Polen and a small part of the UK, Holland and Germany. A swift look at Hanno's country list I'm missing 400 - 500 Shermans from the other country's and then add the unknown ....:)

Michel

www.afvregister.org

www.afvregister.org/M7B2/index.htm

I won't be surprised if the total would rise above the 1500 survivors. At this moment I have around 900 Shermans and direct variants (without the M3's) at the AfvRegister and it only covers the US, Canada, France, Belgium, Polen and a small part of the UK, Holland and Germany. A swift look at Hanno's country list I'm missing 400 - 500 Shermans from the other country's and then add the unknown ....:)

Michel,

Actually, I would not be surprised, either! In the first draft of my reply I wanted to say 1500+, but decided to put it down in the 1001-1500 bracket. In the first case they guy with the right answer had been drinking anyway, so it is better to share the case of beer with 2 guys who had not already :)

Anyway, "Must be" should be read as "at least". But, although new Shermans come to light every day - like those in Iraq - we are still losing Shermans to the scrapper, like the turretless Grizzlies in Portugal.

Would be great if we could merge all the various Sherman databases into one on-line!

- Hanno

Edited by mcspool

I was surprised how UK scrapmen shy away from taking on armour, a number of my Dads friends are in the scrap trade and have been since the 70's. We chatted about the economics of it a couple of years ago.... although the going rate for a tonne of steel may be 'x' the scrap dealer has to take into account that to turn the armour into a saleable commodity he has got to use manpower and gas to chop it into manageable pieces. (i.e. for loading into the foundry furnace) It normally turns out that it isn't worth the time and effort. Over the last few months the scrap price for nearly all metals has collapsed possible reducing the pressure on 'at risk' armour.

Obviously in contries with low manhour costs you can still make money even after it has been chopped into usefull sizes. e.g. Pakistan / India / China.

Michel,

Actually, I would not be surprised, either! In the first draft of my reply I wanted to say 1500+, but decided to put it down in the 1001-1500 bracket. In the first case they guy with the right answer had been drinking anyway, so it is better to share the case of beer with 2 guys who had not already :)

Anyway, "Must be" should be read as "at least". But, although new Shermans come to light every day - like those in Iraq - we are still losing Shermans to the scrapper, like the turretless Grizzlies in Portugal.

Would be great if we could merge all the various Sherman databases into one on-line!

- Hanno

If you need any database work done Hanno - let me know as it's what I do for a living - or will again one day if I ever find another job.... :)

Michel,

- Hanno

That was me, and I've ran out of beer now :-D

Chris

I was surprised how UK scrapmen shy away from taking on armour, a number of my Dads friends are in the scrap trade and have been since the 70's. We chatted about the economics of it a couple of years ago.... although the going rate for a tonne of steel may be 'x' the scrap dealer has to take into account that to turn the armour into a saleable commodity he has got to use manpower and gas to chop it into manageable pieces. (i.e. for loading into the foundry furnace) It normally turns out that it isn't worth the time and effort. Over the last few months the scrap price for nearly all metals has collapsed possible reducing the pressure on 'at risk' armour.

Obviously in contries with low manhour costs you can still make money even after it has been chopped into usefull sizes. e.g. Pakistan / India / China.

During my travels locating CVRT parts I came accross several people breaking them for spares. The left over bare hulls were always a problem. I know one guy who sold one to a scrap dealer who tried to crush it. The machine was pretty much wrecked but the hull survived. They ended up buying a massive generator and using a plasma cutter.

Another scrap dealer who had CVRTs was cutting them up with a gas axe, which was fairly quick, however the weeks of work stripping everything else off first is what cost the money.

At least with a Sherman it's a well known shape, if one did turn up in a scrap yard I think the chances are fairly high that it would be put up for sale for a stuipd ammount of money rather than being cut up.

Chris

I was surprised how UK scrapmen shy away from taking on armour, a number of my Dads friends are in the scrap trade and have been since the 70's. We chatted about the economics of it a couple of years ago.... although the going rate for a tonne of steel may be 'x' the scrap dealer has to take into account that to turn the armour into a saleable commodity he has got to use manpower and gas to chop it into manageable pieces. (i.e. for loading into the foundry furnace) It normally turns out that it isn't worth the time and effort.

I know of at least one Western European goverment who pays the scrapman for his work and materials to cut up ex-range hulks on site, and have him cart the remains to the blast furnace. All done to prevent AFVs getting into private hands. . . .

H.

Well my database is already online, it doesn't cover only Shermans but all the armour. A option to narrow it down to one family of vehicles is underway.

Michel,

I would prefer a database dedicated to the American M2-M4 Medium Tank series plus derivatives and conversions. I´d be interested to hear about the option to narrow down your database to one family of vehicles.

- Hanno

Think that would be a wonderful and a very important peice of work guys and needs to be done.

Jack, I would love to establish an on-line register where people can search for type of Sherman, location, serial numbers and other configuration details, location (incl. satnav setpoints), and picture(s). Nothing technically unfeasable about it, but we would need sponsorship in terms of server space, technical expertise etc.

Would something like this be a nice addition to the HMVF website?

- Hanno

Jack, I would love to establish an on-line register where people can search for type of Sherman, location, serial numbers and other configuration details, location (incl. satnav setpoints), and picture(s). Nothing technically unfeasable about it, but we would need sponsorship in terms of server space, technical expertise etc.

Would something like this be a nice addition to the HMVF website?

- Hanno

Yes! Yes it would be an honour Hanno.

Lets talk some more!

I would prefer a database dedicated to the American M2-M4 Medium Tank series plus derivatives and conversions. I´d be interested to hear about the option to narrow down your database to one family of vehicles.

- Hanno

It's a simple task, for now I've got a field in the database for that purpose. As the situation is now it points for all the M4, M4A1 etc to a field Sherman, the derivates have their own field (M7, M7B1 and M7B2 point to the M7 field and so on). The only change I've got to make direct all those pointers to the Sherman field. If you select then the Sherman family, you'll get all the shermans in the database. My question in this is, witch vehicle is a member of that family, all the M4's offcourse further M7, M10, M12, M32, M36, M40, M43, M50, M51, M74, Grizzly's and Ram's, at last M2 and M3?

Michel