Another big French auction

Great War truck

Just came across this today:

Auction.jpg

Amongst the many interesting vehciles there are some tractuers de semi-remorques which will no doubt excite Jack. Not much German stuff i see. What exactly is a "Vedette 27 pieds". My French would suggest that was a star with 27 feet? Any thoughts?

Catalogue is available from end of feb. i will post some pictures.

before you get too excited, remember rubbish exchange rate, 20% buyers premium and you cant pay in cash. Apart from that, happy bidding.

Tim (too)

Me feels a car on the Portsmouth - Caen ferry may need booking for April!

Have you won the lottery Clive? if the prices are anything like the last couple of auctions in France you'll need something bigger than a car to carry the cash:-D

This auction might be as a result of the laws being impossed on French citizens, restricting ownership of ex-military vehicles. My interpretation of the advert is that it is "the entire collection of military vehicles of 2e Guerre Mondiale et Posterieurs"..........now from memory, I think they are a re-enactment group. Does anyone else know them?

2e Guerre Mondiale et Posterieurs"

I think that means 2nd World War and beyond. But then again dont trust my mastery of the French language.

I think there is a definite hardship in owning armour in France which explains their sale, but nothing about softskins yet. More likely that the French have suddenly realised that people are ready to pay a lot of money for this stuff and want to cash in before everyone changes their mind.

Someone also told me that selling/buying this stuff can be used as a tax dodge and money laundering, but cant quite see how that will work. If it is money laundering it might explain why some of the prices have been so inflated.

Tim (too)

Rather than open a French bank account you can transfer funds instantly between banks in different different countries nowadays for a nominal charge using IBAN system(something like £20). You might just need to agree any potential arrangement with the auctioneers prior to the auction.

The rub is that either way you still have to have the money somewhere :sweat:

Edited by N.O.S.

I think that means 2nd World War and beyond. But then again dont trust my mastery of the French language.

I think there is a definite hardship in owning armour in France which explains their sale, but nothing about softskins yet. More likely that the French have suddenly realised that people are ready to pay a lot of money for this stuff and want to cash in before everyone changes their mind.

Someone also told me that selling/buying this stuff can be used as a tax dodge and money laundering, but cant quite see how that will work. If it is money laundering it might explain why some of the prices have been so inflated.

Tim (too)

Tim (too),

Going a bit off topic, and I apologize in advance,

If the Barrett Jackson jeep had been sold for the sort of money it went for at an auction in Italy, a number of arkward questions would have been asked, I guarantee you.

Basically, if Mr. A has a large amount of money of indeterminate colour, he can put something up for auction, have an associate (Mr. B) buy it (better if he lives abroad) after a bidding war (with associate (Mr. C)). B coughs up the readies (A's dodgy money), and A puts them in his bank account, all above board. Another, slightly less lucrative take on the same theme is to (a) buy a ratty old car at auction with clean money, (b) sit on it a while, © sell it on (at a profit, natch) using the same system as above and everybody's happy. Oh yes, scrap the car and sell the bits on Ebay (d). As long as the numbers aren't too big nobody asks any questions, the money's clean, and tax isn't a problem.

Organized crime (Us Italians invented it as you all probably know) has thousands of scams running at any given time to launder their money, most of them incredibly imaginative.

European auction houses (and governments) have been tightening things up alot in recent years, but the result is that the real bad boys just move their operations elsewhere whilst the rest of us get buried in red tape.

Such is life,

Stef

Edited by Stefano

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't mind these from the first auction listed:

Lot 357

CAMION TRACTEUR AMERICAIN

Type : PACIFIC

Modèle : M26 A1

Année :

Papier : sans

Etat : épave, complet avec treuil

€8000 / €10000

TRUCK AMERICAN TRACTOR

Type: PACIFIC

Model: M26 A1

Year:

Paper: without

State: wreck, complete with winch

€8000 / €10000 (£7,519 - £9,399)

Lot 358

Année :

Etat : épave, motorisation complète

€4000 / €5000

TRUCK AMERICAN TRACTOR

Type: PACIFIC Model: M26 A1

Year:

State: wreck, with engine/transmission

€4000 / €5000 (£3,758 - £4,699)

Lot 359

Année :

Etat : épave, châssis-cabine, sans motorisation

€2000 / €3000

TRUCK AMERICAN TRACTOR

Model: M26 A1

Year:

State: wreck, frame-cabin, without engine/transmission

€2000 / €3000 (£1,880 - £2,820)

Lot 402

CAMION AMPHYBIE AMERICAIN

Type : GMC

Modèle : 353 DUKW

Année : N° série 17662

Etat : Très bon état, à remettre en route

€25000 / €30000

AMERICAN TRUCK AMPHIBIOUS

Type: GMC

Model: 353 DUKW

Year:

N° series 17662

State: Very good state, to give €25000 / €30000 on the way (£23,494 - £28,193)

Lot 405

CAMION DE DEPANNAGE AMERICAIN

Modèle : M26

Année :

Etat : Très bon état, à remettre en route

€30000 / €40000

AMERICAN BREAKDOWN VAN

Model: M26

Year:

State: Very good state, to give €30000 / €40000 on the way (£28,193 - £37,589)

Isn't it nice to dream?? I assume the Euro figures are either guide prices or starting prices.

Lot 358 would the best bet had I the £5k plus transport and, I guess, other costs!!!

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Starting to pray for the right six numbers in the next draw. Would fancy a Dragon Wagon, stop me haveing to put with lip about bicycles!! :iloveyou:

A bus driver with a Dragon Wagon:shocked:....... that'll cause a mass exodus from the capital:-D

• 3 weeks later...