USe of flags

ArtistsRifles

Question

If no pole socket was fitted to the vehicle they were lashed to whatever either the convoy commander or, more likely, the driver felt was appropriate. Seen them lashed to mirror arms (not so good), towing shackels, rad grilles etc.

There was an RL at Damyns hall with all the flags on display:

DH__5050.jpg

DH__5051.jpg

If no pole socket was fitted to the vehicle they were lashed to whatever either the convoy commander or, more likely, the driver felt was appropriate. Seen them lashed to mirror arms (not so good), towing shackels, rad grilles etc.

Our armour had to fire on the ranges, where the same flags had a completely different use. As a result, I am sure some vehicles had flag sockets locally manufactured. I do remember The Third World War by General Sir John Hackett, the pictures of Chieftains firing, allegedly at 3 Shock Army, all showed red flags flying (to indicate that the tank, on the ranges, was at Action).

On the ranges, the Scorpion gunner's immediate action when the commander called Action was to check internal and external stowage on his side was not going the jam the traverse, check the turret systems master switch was on to power the electrical firing system (otherwise it would be foot pedal backup systems), then put eyes to the sight to look for targets.

The commander had a lot more to do. First of all, change the flag from Green (guns clear) to Red (action). I often wondered how many commanders, first time they went to action for real, at least thought of changing the flag out of habit.

If there was a misfire (of the main armament), the yellow flag was flown. As part of the misfire drill, there was a pause. Somebody who did Scorpion gunnery less in the past than I did will tell you whether the wait was 15 minutes or not. Istr that a stoppage (of the coaxial GPMG RG) demanded the flying of a yellow flag along with one of the others, but I forget which. I also str the wait was rather less: maybe 30 seconds?

In convoy Istr we flew the flags from the offside antenna.

Edited by AlienFTM