introduction to hmv

gps

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry to hear that ,I got my bolts from all fix but im sorry to say they were rather exspensive and not to military standered. It apears that any thing in AF or BSF or BSW has got to be made as it is no longer in common use.

gps - don't forget that , with the exception of 1/2"dia., UNC threads are reasonably compatible with Whitworth (but perhaps not advised for "critical" joints). The bolt/nut hex head is slightly smaller.

If you have a John Deere main dealer nearby, they can be an excellent source for high strength UNC, especially the unusual longer lengths, in up to 7/8" dia. And very reasonably priced too compared to fastener suppliers (you obviously pay a slight premium).

May be worth a try if you are ever stuck.

N.O.S thank for the advice i have noteced that there seams to be a few bolts that are interchangeable but only one way ,and if put under to much load will strip so i tend to only do this as a last resort.

N.O.S thank for the advice i have noteced that there seams to be a few bolts that are interchangeable but only one way ,and if put under to much load will strip so i tend to only do this as a last resort.

Although they are predominantly the same threads per inch, from 1/4" to 1", excepting 1/2", the thread angle is 60 degs on UNC and 55 degs on BSW. It is not good practise to mix and match male and female threads, even if they are on non-critical locations.

as you all seam to be hardened travelers what should the gearbox pressure be , mine is 15 psi cold and 11 psi hot running on the road, 8 psi on tickover hot ? i put in the box SAE 90 is this good i was told to use

SAE 140 if the box gets noisy but what is noisy in a scammell ? :-D

I would be very interested as to what is noisy in a scammell. My gearbox is smooth and silent and very easy to change gear (can change all gears with finger and thumbs on gearknob) until we go for number 6 which changes easy in and out but screams. How loud is a loud? I only have a oil pressure light.

as you all seam to be hardened travelers what should the gearbox pressure be , mine is 15 psi cold and 11 psi hot running on the road, 8 psi on tickover hot ? i put in the box SAE 90 is this good i was told to use

SAE 140 if the box gets noisy but what is noisy in a scammell ? :-D

ime running SAE 90 in the gearbox as instructed by gritineye my oil pressure is about 15 psi when cold also havent bin out on the road yet to get it warm

nick

hi all. My mates scammell had a big problem with the gearbox.he went to shunt his lorry around ready for a show and it jamed up on the drive.we had to leave it there and go without it. it was such a shame to leave it behind that we returned to see if it could be fixed.on looking deeper into the problem we found the input shaft had fused with the counter top shaft so the four of us reluctently returned to the rally. and swiftly entered the beer tent to mourn the fallen comrade.on further inspection after removing the gearbox my mates brother (a commercial engineer )found that the grub screw on the oil baffle pipe had fallen out thus there was no oil geting to the needle roller bearing in the top shaft ,thus overheating and fusing the dog clutch and shafts together ,what a mess :cry::cry: . the funny thing is all through this it had good oil pressure.sadly this could not be repaired and second hand parts were luckily found :-D . a lot of work but its alright now :yay:

hi gps i heard that you can fold tin small enough for the bottom front cab panel. took my roof off this weekend not good:cry: got to do headboard and the four bottom panels:cry::cry::cry::cry:. so just wonderd if you could fold some panels for me.:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

hi gps i heard that you can fold tin small enough for the bottom front cab panel. took my roof off this weekend not good:cry: got to do headboard and the four bottom panels:cry::cry::cry::cry:. so just wonderd if you could fold some panels for me.:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

news gets around fast i got the apprentice to do it as a test peace, i have a feeling that his next task will be to see if he can replicate something say three times.

news gets around fast i got the apprentice to do it as a test peace, i have a feeling that his next task will be to see if he can replicate something say three times.

the junglevine is good up on this hill and i can see what you are all doing from up her.:cool2::cool2: so just wonderd if you could do the panels in front off the doors and behind. will cut panels got to get tin this week:iloveyou:

for those who may find interesting the first is my first scammell bit of a big prodject to big ended up pic 2.

second lot of no nuts when i first got her lot of work :shocked: ps my son now has a family of his own and daughter is at college

scammell2.jpg

scammell 4.jpg

scammell 5.jpg

scammell 6.jpg

Edited by gps

for those who may find interesting the first is my first scammell bit of a big prodject to big ended up pic 2.

second lot of no nuts when i first got her lot of work :shocked:

:cry::cry: Interesting to see the rear support legs holding the lightened chassis up on their own ! I think these pics will be appreciated in the Explorer gallery too mate ! I've been taking the rear crossmembers off Daisy today ! Never thought I'd snap a 3/4 BSF bolt ! :argh: Good to see your pics !:thanx:

the junglevine is good up on this hill and i can see what you are all doing from up her.:cool2::cool2: so just wonderd if you could do the panels in front off the doors and behind. will cut panels got to get tin this week:iloveyou:

you know where i live , ill see if i can do them when your ready , got to make room.

Opps ! Obvious now you mention it ! No more red wine for me this evening ! :-D

thats alright, you have as much as you wont i have posted the pics forgot to revers pic lets see who else is on the ball:rofl:

you know where i live , ill see if i can do them when your ready , got to make room.

cheers will try and get tin this week:cool2:if the snow ever stops and the idiots move there cars from the end off the road so i can get out in the morning:nono::nono:or i will move them for them:argh::argh:

cheers will try and get tin this week:cool2:if the snow ever stops and the idiots move there cars from the end off the road so i can get out in the morning:nono::nono:or i will move them for them:argh::argh:

you cant do that :nono: sit back and relax then laugh at them trying to move:rofl: